Currency broker recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My currency broker who I used in the past is no longer in business.
Revolut were recently a nightmare for paying just a small amount into and dont trust them with larger sums, so I'm looking for a currency broker recommendation from funsters.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I’ve used Transferwise for the last 4 years, good exchange prices and quick transfers too. They also now offer £ sterling and € euro accounts too with a debit card.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
My currency broker who I used in the past is no longer in business.
Revolut were recently a nightmare for paying just a small amount into and dont trust them with larger sums, so I'm looking for a currency broker recommendation from funsters.
Smart currency exchange appear ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have used XE currency exchange in past they were excellent and have a good app👍😊

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I used Currencies Direct for a regular transfer for many years, then found with Transferwise I could save about £30/month on a £1k transaction. I use Transferwise exclusively now, transferring when it suits me and it takes only seconds/minutes for the credit to arrive (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have used Transferwise for many years never a problem - well until one day I got an e-mail to say because of a bit of downtime the transfer would be 8 hours late, which was not criticl anyway, but they did at least send the e-mail in advance. My details are stored with them but I still have to input a security pass to do a transfer but it is all done in a few clicks.

Quite happy to recommend them.

Geoff

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for TransferWise. I use occasionally to retrieve USD. It takes days or even weeks for the cash to get between various US banks and brokers. Once it finally hits my TransferWise pseudo-account in New York I can have it converted and transfer to my UK bank account in a few seconds. US banks are really the pits.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Am I missing something?
Do I need one of these cards?

I take my UK bank cash card to any cash machine in Europe and draw euro's out - No problem and free of charges.
I use a Halifax credit card for most payments, also - No problem and free of charges

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Azimo for me - i've found it to be the best rates and quick and lowest fees. Your first three are free. If you intend on using it please let me know as I can get a recommend a friend fee

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Have a look at currencyfair used to use them when I moved money. Now it's just UK cards for living expenses.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Am I missing something?

I take my UK bank cash card to any cash machine in Europe and draw euro's out - No problem and free of charges.
I use a Halifax credit card for most payments, also - No problem and free of charges
Yep you are definitely missing I'm not sure what. :LOL:

What you suggest doesn't work if paying 50 or 100 grand for an new van or other goods.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've used VFX (used to be called XEI think) if you ring them they will give a better rate than the online rate. Last time though because we only needed €10k, rate was poor so we used Revolut.

OP
OP
JP1889
Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks everyone Azimo looks to give the best rate. Transferwise ok too.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Am I missing something?

OP obviously wants to change 10's of 000's so best deal is a money broked
I thought that kind payment is a one off.
Yse & that is why you use a money broker. use your bank & the differnce in the rate will buy you a mercedes.

Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Starling Bank pretty good. You can open a £ and a Euro account and just sweep money across whenever you want. You get the current bank rate minus a 0.4% fee. One debit card is used for both accounts. No fees on either account and a small amount of interest is paid to you on the £ account.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for TransferWise. I use occasionally to retrieve USD. It takes days or even weeks for the cash to get between various US banks and brokers. Once it finally hits my TransferWise pseudo-account in New York I can have it converted and transfer to my UK bank account in a few seconds. US banks are really the pits.
When I worked a a large City law firm we often had to send large amounts of money to the US near the w/e, so to avoid the US bank sitting on the money for days we used to ask for an articles clerk to volunteer to takw a flight with a Banker's Draft, hand it over to the recipient, spend the w/e in the States and fly back - the client paid for that but saved money.

A lot of people do not know that the big US banks like Citibank have to hold State banking licences in each State. Many small banks are only liceensed in a few States and have to work through the big boys elsewhere.

Geoff

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
When I worked a a large City law firm we often had to send large amounts of money to the US near the w/e, so to avoid the US bank sitting on the money for days we used to ask for an articles clerk to volunteer to takw a flight with a Banker's Draft, hand it over to the recipient, spend the w/e in the States and fly back - the client paid for that but saved money.

A lot of people do not know that the big US banks like Citibank have to hold State banking licences in each State. Many small banks are only liceensed in a few States and have to work through the big boys elsewhere.

Geoff

As a teenager working for a City based Shipbroking company I got to travel all over the place delivering bankers drafts and cash, and some of it really was cash, several years salary in a single envelope. I got trips to Greece, Germany, USA, HK and other places. As a teenager all very exotic.

Best one was delivering an 6" thick brown envelope to a man sitting at the head of a table in the Savoy Restaurant, I was taken to the table by the maitre'd, the man opened the envelope and fanned tens of thousands of pounds across the table. The entire restaurant went silent.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Got sent to Alexandria in the seventies as a young engineer. Given today's equivalent of £5000 and told to change it at Cairo airport before taking the train to Alex. The Bank was a window in the main airport terminal, that money when changed was about six inches high. Got paranoid, went to the loo and changed my jacket and took off my glasses then caught train to Alex. The other engineers met me at the airport, I did not know any of them, they really took the mickey when I asked for ID which they had. Handed over the cash to the chief engineer, he went mad cursing me before explaining I should have given them the Sterling. Seems they would have changed it on the black market for double it's face value. Not the most popular new boy

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I use IFX . Same guy deal contact for the last 17 years . No problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.