Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the govt info webpage which hopefully will be updated soon to reflect the 'Part 2' status fully, so keep your eyes on it:

Pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Assuming from irnbru's post above all that we need is the AHC for our dogs with no requirement to visit to a vet before returning to the UK then I have to say I'm all for it as the existing PP system was sometimes a challenge to get the timing right in order to visit a vet before coming back to the UK, however I doubt this is the case as the countries we would be returning from still have tapeworm:

Travel from countries not free from tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis)

You need to take your dog to a vet no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entering Great Britain, for an approved tapeworm treatment. This requirement will not change after 1 January 2021.
The treatment must:
  • be approved for use in the country where the treatment is applied
  • contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis)
You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Republic of Ireland, Norway or Malta.

How much our UK vet is going to charge is also a big question - hopefully it won't be a licence to print money!

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
So glad i shelled out a fortune for the Titre test!! And what happens after 4 months?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On page 4 of the Animal Health Certificate the Vet is required to complete there is a section for date of echinococcus treatment. As I said I am not sure if this will be required, I hope not however, it is on the form.
I assume it would be completed by the foreign vet before you return to the UK as it appears that will still be required by the UK officials before they let you and your pet back in.

Another thread running here:

(3) Pet Passport. | MotorhomeFun | The Motorhome Support and Social Network

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another thread running here:

<Broken link removed>

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What im confused about is my dogs have never been checked when entering the eu ...in fact using the tunnel if i didn't state i had dogs when booking they would be none the wiser as no one looks or checks van on outbound journey. Its only on the return to uk journey anything has been checked.

Im already in the eu with my dogs on their exsisting Spanish passports.....is the new system going to cause me problems when i return to the uk circa 30/03/21 ?

And if the new system is only valid for 4 months and has to be issued in the uk before you leave how does that work with trips over 4 months long as i plan to do next year incorporating countries outwith shengen to exceed 90/180 limit?

What a farce ....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When i asked vet in july regarding passports i was advised to keep mine on Spanish ones for now ....not sure what the situation will be regarding that next time i leave the uk ...

Problem is the vets aren't that clued up either as my vet also insisted id need the titre test to return to the uk which was absolute nonsense and i refused to get it done

Deleted User
Our dog is a rescue from Portugal and has a portugese passport, I wonder how we stand with that.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Helen Ariel , The Dudess The titre test will stand you in good stead for a trip to Morocco. We had one done for Nobby, because we thought we were going to Morocco last winter. He'll be 15 in a couple of months' time, and we certainly will not be going this winter, so I don't imagine he's ever going to make it to Morocco now 😥

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Poem for 1st January 2021 ....

If you go down to the docks today
You're in for a big surprise
If you go down to the chunnel today
You will not believe your eyes
For lots of dog are looking morose
Sitting and fretting for certain because
Today's the day when PPs are no longer valid!

Sorry .... :imoutahere:

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
The worming treatment is only required for re-entry to the U.K.

is this known for a fact? I couldn’t see it on the info to vets.
I also couldn’t find the Q & A on the vets website.
maybe it’s me .....

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
is this known for a fact? I couldn’t see it on the info to vets.
I also couldn’t find the Q & A on the vets website.
maybe it’s me .....
The AHC has the facility to record tapeworm treatment on exit. It would be ludicrous to require it on entry as this is the whole point of the four month window.
Or am I being naive...

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Ah, having it recorded on the AHC makes sense. I didn’t know that bit. Thank you

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The AHC has the facility to record tapeworm treatment on exit. It would be ludicrous to require it on entry as this is the whole point of the four month window.
Or am I being naive...
It has always been a requirement before entry to the U.K. and Ireland. It can be entered on the AHC or a pet passport by the administrating vet.

It has never been required for entry to the EU.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
It has always been a requirement before entry to the U.K. and Ireland. It can be entered on the AHC or a pet passport by the administrating vet.

It has never been required for entry to the EU.
You might just be missing my point about the four month window.

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
checked with our local vet in Dover If we have to get a blood test for the dog it’s about £150.00,They have had nothing confirmed yet but it looks like it’s going to be expensive

OP
OP
xsparks
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I had my dog done at the beginning of the year. As I understand it there are only two labs qualified to cary out the test yet the vets around me quoted vastly different prices, so phone around.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
checked with our local vet in Dover If we have to get a blood test for the dog it’s about £150.00,They have had nothing confirmed yet but it looks like it’s going to be expensive
The rabies titre test is not required if your just going into europe,just the health certificate ,10 days prior

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
What a nice earner for UK vets, £60/£70 per certificate for 10 minutes form filling. What I am unsure about is that the Animal Health Certificate mentions worming treatment. It can't be right that you would have to worm your dog twice in maybe a week, once to enter the EU and then for the return to the UK.
I understand having experienced having to get my Dog checked in Spain twice within five days ( breakdown missed ferry) that it is dangerous to give the worming tablet less than ten days apart.
we had hell on as the vet wouldn’t complete the process as he couldn’t administer the tablet because of the time frame.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
On page 4 of the Animal Health Certificate the Vet is required to complete there is a section for date of echinococcus treatment. As I said I am not sure if this will be required, I hope not however, it is on the form.
Could be that this section is completed by the EU Vet you visit prior to returning to the UK?

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Profiteering Vets, just seen two people had quotes (on a Cocker Spaniel group) for an AHC of £72 and £140 per dog from their vets.
Why is anyone surprised about our robbing vets. Looking at the form it should take them about 10 minutes max to complete about the same as a consultation max £50 per animal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back