Friend looking at an Elddis (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A pal in NI is looking at a new Elddis. I am not familiar with the goods/bads of that brand. Does anyone have knowledge that can help please? Have you bought one?

I got this quote off Google - is it still true?

Many thanks

"Are elddis motorhomes any good?
It's generally well known that Elddis has its own intrinsic build quality issues and that its SoLiD build system is fairly poor (wood and glue) but if you're content to accept these points then there's no denying that the Elddis price-point allows for alot more people to enjoy the freedom of motorhoming.14 Mar 2018"

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Our last two ‘vans have been Elddis/Marquis - 120 & 155, and we were/are pleased with them. There were teething issues, and a floor delamination issue in the 120, but all dealt with under warranty. The level of kit you get on the Marquis ‘specials’ is, IMO, good, so I would certainly consider rather than reject out of hand.....Of course, they are now owned by Erwin Hymer.......

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our last two ‘vans have been Elddis/Marquis - 120 & 155, and we were/are pleased with them. There were teething issues, and a floor delamination issue in the 120, but all dealt with under warranty. The level of kit you get on the Marquis ‘specials’ is, IMO, good, so I would certainly consider rather than reject out of hand.....Of course, they are now owned by Erwin Hymer.......

Hymer are owned by the American group Thor (y)

Only 1 issue in 18 months with our old 145 Autoquest, which was a blown heated mirror fuse & on our present Majestic 195 other than a misting rear shock absorber, the common as muck failed airbag ecu & ghost instrument cluster lights which are base vehicle issues, the only problem we've had in nearly 3 years was a sticking hab' door which was easily rectified.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My first van was an Eldiss and everyone sort of said, ooh rubbish. I loved that van and only had one tiny bit of trouble with a leak which hilldweller fixed in ten minutes.

I really miss that van and wish I still had it. . even though my current one is loved, the Eldiss was the love of my life.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have recently bought a new 175

They are a budget van at a budget price, and with eyes open they are good value

I have had 4 different makes in less than 4 years....ALL have been indifferently built considering the screen price

He needs to be near a good NCC /Elddis approved independent dealer for repairs

Mine...so far so good

Others will be along presently to tell you how crap they all are....because they had a bad one
Others will be along presently to tell you how crap they are...because they are not German and 70k+

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Went on a factory tour in 2018.
Hymer have spent a lot of money on new equipment, some very big pieces of kit. The build quality should therefore improve, but they will also expect the job to be done quicker or more efficiently to save unit costs to justify the investment.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
They’re normally quite cheap compared to others,but maybe you get what you pay for.
Ive never owned one,but a relative has,and it was a bit flimsy.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Friends have a older, manufacturer's special, to the best of my knowledge they have had no major problems. They love th van, only thing they would change would be better outside accessible storage.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Some times you just go with your instincts, never bother with reviews from the magazines as most of them are by Brand ambassadors. You can get a feel for a make from people on here as they use them in anger but if you like it go for it.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Had a used 65 plate Elddis Encore 255 in June 2018, zero problems with it, a few things I didn’t like on it after using it, but we changed to an Adria A Class after 18 month, but that was purely a Lay-out reason 👍

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
We picked up our Elddis 115 Chatsworth in July, it’s the Glossop Caravans special edition. We can’t fault it for the price, only thing wrong so far is the oven knob fell off.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We picked up our Elddis 115 Chatsworth in July, it’s the Glossop Caravans special edition. We can’t fault it for the price, only thing wrong so far is the oven knob fell off.

Oh Beryl... another one having trouble with knobs. If you have read my help thread I don't think you will let me offer to fix it. :)

That was how my Eldiss was... Few small bits that could soon be fixed with different screws etc.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our Elddis prestige 105 was a lot of van for the money, but they are thrown together by unskilled people in about 20 minutes.
Had lots of small problems down to penny pinching on the built too, like the absence of sealant round the wheel arch liners, sink waste fittings upside down and pissing water out for months unnoticed and now the capping outside is getting loose because it's just bodged on with sealant.

The bathroom sink also needed re-enforcing with ply wood underneath where the tap goes through it, I've fitted a few extra brackets holding the wardrobe together and Ann fixed all the threads hanging off the seats.

If you're good at DIY go for it because they are cheap and great once you finish off building them 👌

We paid £36.3k for ours new in 2014, the auto trail we were looking at too was £50k and had less payload 😳

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
We've got an Elddis 120, bought it last September. Issues were a) incorrect catch fitted to cupboard (would spring open when on the move) b) loose handle on upper cabinet (screw came out) c) a broken string in the door concertina blind d) a discussion between the dealer and Elddis about a shower curtain. I said there should be one, dealer said no not this model, Elddis said yes it should have.... but it took a few months for said shower and rail to appear (now fitted) and finally e) a bit of an issue re the Whale heater over pressurizing (not an Elddis issue rather a Whale issue).

Good payload, nicely fitted out, quite happy with it. Have I changed anything? Yes. Smaller table fitted, a LCD cabinet light fitted inside the wardrobe and I fitted a thermal curtain liner between the cab and the habitation section to help preserve heat in the winter. Would I like anything else done? Some lights in the cab section as it can be gloomy in the evening and a hot air outlet in the same area would encourage the use of the swivel seats ( all in part why the thermal liner idea came to fruition).

Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
I have a 2015 Elddis 155.within 2 weeks had 14 faults and many more since.All sorted under warranty but we are 40 miles away from dealers so took many journeys to get sorted. But after 5 years happy. Care with the term Solid ,meant nothing special when we had a damp issue,

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We got our Accordo 105 Prestige new in June 2018 and the only issue we've had was that the fridge wouldn't stay on for more than an hour on gas. This was a fault on delivery and wouldn't have been spotted on pre-delivery checks. It was put right and has given us no trouble.
Maybe we are lucky to have got a good one. We were limited to a 6m van because of our driveway. The layout and spec is perfect for us. We spent two years looking around dealers, going to shows and asking questions on here and reading as much as we could before committing our hard earned cash on our first van.
We've added E & P self levelling and twin Gaslow system. Only thing it's lacking is a washing machine :giggler: We're delighted and wouldn't change it.👍

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
We are now on a 194 having started the motorhome journey with a 135.
The 135 was six months old when we bought so yes maybe issues were sorted by the first owner but we only had one problem in the two years we owned it, a poorly routed cable shorted on the oven housing and blew a fuse.
On our Prestige 194 we’ve had from new the only issue was the grey waste tank has two outlets drilled out but only one pipe and tap fitted!
No Elddis don’t have the frills and gadgets of vans £20k more but are fantastic value for money in comparison.
Friends with a Bailey 79/4 purchased six months after ours have a “snagging” list stretched over two sides of A4 and still await the third return to the dealer for fixes!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought our Elddis 125, (the enhanced Marquis Majestic version), in November 2019. Because of CV restrictions we have only covered just over 6k miles in it.

To date the only problems experienced have been.....

Badly fitted filler pipe to fresh water tank leaked - replaced under warranty
Rear view camera failed twice - replaced under warranty
Two areas of sealant were poorly applied - corrected by myself

Other than that we have experienced zero defects. We love the layout for a sub 6m Compact. All the fittings work correctly, first time, and it appears to be “reasonably well screwed together “ with no obvious problems.

The 3 way fridge is manual changeover but, after having experience of fully automatic change-over, with mobile phone remote control which kept throwing error codes, we prefer it. The separate water and space heaters work very well and have simple controls which, again, we prefer to our previous complicated electronic control panel. The space heater can be noisy on startup but quietens down as the m/h warms up.

We have added two reading lights at the bed and a couple of storage nets but otherwise it came complete in our opinion.

Value for money is excellent. This is our eighth motorhome over a period of more than 40 years so we do have experience of different units although this is our first Elddis.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Our first motorhome was an Elddis Accordo 120. Bought new but only kept it two years. We had very few problems with it during that time. Only changed it because we wanted a fixed bed.
Repaced it with an Elddis Autoquest 155 which has had numerous faults over the last 18 months.
Overall, they are good value for money but the build quality is very hit and miss.
A lot of the problems could have been avoided if a bit more care and attention had been taken at construction stage.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Ours friends bought the van last week. On driving home they had to turn round due to horrendous vibrations - so bad it was almost undriveable. (PDI fail ??)
Anyway, the dealer tweaked tyre pressures and 'did other stuff' so it's sorted now.

Obviously not been used in anger yet.

Thanks for all the replies. (y)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Ours friends bought the van last week. On driving home they had to turn round due to horrendous vibrations - so bad it was almost undriveable. (PDI fail ??)
Anyway, the dealer tweaked tyre pressures and 'did other stuff' so it's sorted now.

Believe it ir not, PDI is done at the Elddis factory😂😂😂
Most (not all) of the dealers do a re-check for which they don’t get re-embursed, to avoid some of the simple complaints

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Believe it ir not, PDI is done at the Elddis factory😂😂😂
Most (not all) of the dealers do a re-check for which they don’t get re-embursed, to avoid some of the simple complaints
When we collected our motorhome from Maquis, Tewksbury, we had an excellent hand-over. Unfortunately the PDI had shown up the fact that the rear view camera was faulty. ie there was no signal from it. They had ordered a replacement which hadn’t arrived so we took it as was, returning later to have the new camera fitted. The PDI man also wasn’t happy about the fit of a piece of interior trim and arranged for us to go straight to their workshop where a “technician” removed and refitted it for us in a few minutes.

So Marquis had done a PDI but if Elddis had carried one out they should have spotted the camera fault, even if not the trim.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

I don’t know if this is relevant but, as I posted elsewhere, our motorhome is on the Peugeot Boxer chassis. It came with Peugeot’s TPMS fitted as standard. The ride was extremely harsh so I checked the tyre pressures which were set at around 80psi. On checking axle weights, and the chart provided by Continental tyres, I found they should be 56psi front and 62 psi rear.

On reducing the pressures the TPMS activated, showing warnings on the menu and the dashboard warning light illuminated. I then found the TPMS is not user adjustable. Peugeot were not interested in changing the settings, giving me a “ball park figure of £230 + VAT” to check it out.

Our local back street garage have a visiting Peugeot technician who attempted to change it with his laptop diagnostic kit but couldn’t even get past the menu which he decided was locked by Peugeot.

I am now running at the Continental recommended pressures and the ride is massively improved, although I have to accept the warning lights.

My local garage reminded me that, when an MOT is due in two years time, I will have to re-inflate the tyre to Peugeot’s figures as a dashboard warning light would constitute a fail. A ridiculous situation with, so far, no easy resolution.

However, if your friends check their axle weights/recommended pressures, they may find a big improvement in the ride, depending on their pre-set pressures from the dealer.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Go to a different Peugeot garage. It takes half an hour max. From memory I paid approx £60 to have ours reset to a lower value.
Thanks for the info.

I am having difficulty finding a Peugeot Commercial garage in SE Wales willing to play ball. Did you use a Commercial garage or a car dealership?

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I am having difficulty finding a Peugeot Commercial garage in SE Wales willing to play ball. Did you use a Commercial garage or a car dealership?
I just used my local Peugeot (car) dealership. It should not be necessary to go to a Commercial garage as all they do is plug in a laptop and update the settings.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I just used my local Peugeot (car) dealership. It should not be necessary to go to a Commercial garage as all they do is plug in a laptop and update the settings.
Once again, thank you. There are Peugeot car dealers not too far away. I will give them a ring.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
ontheroadagain
Thanks to your info I have now arranged for the reset but the cheapest I can get is £99. Two other quotes were £120 and £125.

At £60 you got a good deal.

Still, it will be nice to see the warning lights go off and have a TPMS that is actually useful! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back