Fitting Fiamma Ultra Box 500 (1 Viewer)

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I have a Thule bike rack on the rear on my motorhome and have just bought a Fiamma Ultra Box 500 on eBay.
I have removed the bike rails and placed the box on the supports and the holes in the box do not line up.
In deciding how to proceed I am considering two factors.
Firstly, weight. The bike rack is specially designed for Autotrail and has a maximum load capacity of 50kg. The bike rails and arms weigh 3kg (removed) so I have 53kg available. I want to keep as much of this as possible for the box and contents. The box weighs 17kg.
The main contents will be a telescopic ladder and a waste master; 11kg and 4.5kg respectively, so I can store more if needed.
The second factor is how to secure the box. A lightweight aluminium panel seems to be the best choice but I have no experience of such a job so would appreciate any comments.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I bought a secondhand Ultra Box 500 and fitted it to our previous motorhome. Same problem - holes didnt line up. I just drilled new holes and filled the old ones with mastic. If you bought secondhand, make sure you have been supplied with all the fixing brackets.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It just attaches with 4 x 'U' bolts . Can't even recall removing the bike rails when I fitted the one for my mate a few years back?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't remove the bike rails either. The boxes are not very stiff so the more support the better. I've subsequently bolted the box at one end to one of the rails for extra stiffness. To fit the box I bought stainless steel U bolts from a yacht chandler and drilled new holes. The old holes I filled with bathroom sealant after putting a bit of Sellotape over each existing hole on the inside of the box and then applying a dollop from the outside.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have the 360 box and left the rails in place to support the box.
You would need to drill new holes to suit your rack.

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
The reason I removed the rails is that the rack is very high due to the position of the spare tyre on the rear of my Delaware.
Even with the rails on I would have to drill new holes to match the back tubes.
If I can’t find a more elegant solution I will put the rails back on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back