Bet this is a new one... (1 Viewer)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
My moho recently developed an oil leak. I noticed a few spots on the driveway as I reversed out.
Now, I am willing to bet that many happy campers like myself are only able to average around 3000 - 4000 miles per year in their beloved chariot.
Wish I could do more mileage but there you go. Anyway, as oil changes are not required for around 20,000 mile mark, one tends to let the time slip by until such mileage dictates the required change of lubrication. Big mistake. A the end of 3 years since my last oil change, it appears the oil filter had corroded to such a point as to crack and spray the oil out when the engine is running. This was a first for me. Thank heavens I noticed the oil spots on the driveway and arranged to check it out toot sweet. I know many on here will say "20,000 miles or every 2 years whichever comes first" but I have never ever heard of an oil filter cracking before.
Just interested to see if anyone else had this problem

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I change our oil every year regardless of mileage. I would never dream of leaving it for 3 years. The filters are made of thin metal and if you use your motorhome during the winter (salt) it could easily rust through in 3 years. The oil filter on our 2019 Peugot Boxer is very exposed.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Modern oils can take two years with ease, I always have a new filter half way before the oil change, cleans the oil and no corrosion. Most of the crap ends up in the filter and becomes less effective, so a filter half way into service, Prolongs the life of oil at a small cost.

Jul 13, 2020
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 673g
Exp
As an ex boater I always changed the oil and filters annually on my boat engine (1500cc diesel) and would never leave old engine oil in the engine over the winter. Whilst it's not practical to drain the sump on the MH over the winter I'll definitely do an oil service before the MH goes in to storage, every year. I was told by someone that old engine oil can be corrosive and therefore harmful to engines if left for long periods. That may be the problem?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Every year, regardless of mileage or usage. In the overall scheme of things its a minor cost.
Why? A 5w30 synthetic oil is expensive and if no miles done, two years is very safe to keep. Just change the filter and carry on.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have had an oil filter crack, about 18 months ago, like you noticed a dribble of oil and found that the oil filter had a small dent in it either from a stone on the road or perhaps dented when it was changed. it leaked on the crease in the dent. it had been changed about 10 months previous.

because i am "nossy"! i took a knife to the oil filter when it was off and the i have to say i was surprised that metal is so extremely thin.
the dent had caused the paint to crack and allow the outer surface to rust..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I still change mine annually.
Same here which is usually about 8000 miles..Brake fluid and gearbox oil every second service..BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Last filter changed had more rust than metal on it!:rolleyes: Just over two years old.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I never worked professionally on small diesels but we always treated the lub oil carefully. The engines I maintained were from 1,000 h.p. to 33,000 h.p. so I believe the smaller the engine the more important the oil is.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
My sister runs her cars into the ground and only does what is needed urgently

she has a 2003 Toyota Rav 4 at the minute - diesel. Was good car and she got it free 🤨And called me just at start of lockdown complaining it was noisy and left a puddle of oil where She was ... how big is the puddle ? Thats Big don’t drive it. Next thing I know she is on my drive having driven it 5 miles with no oil- the metal oil filter case had rusted though ....when revving coming out under pressure

FD7ADDB7-5CDC-4641-BAC9-7B857B86C818.jpeg

0A942050-FD5E-4065-A23C-AA5A66841255.jpeg

Amazingly new filter for Halfords and it was fine ......

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have just bought a replacement oil filter for my Ducato 100 Multijet. I just received a filter element, rather than a complete cannister. Is that correct!

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
We should remember the base vehicle of our MH's is a commercial one. Oil change frequencies are set by the manufacturer expecting them to be used regularly and a lot. 2 year, 20,000 miles is fine, but are also maximums, and there are often recommendations, buried in manuals for more frequent changes in special circumstances based on temperature and use types.

But most MH's are used intermittently. Many sit idle for a few weeks, if not months at a time, with a number going nowhere over the winter months (ignoring the added pressures of lockdown). Many MH's will struggle to get to that 20,000 miles in 4 years or more, let alone less than 2. In these circumstances you aren't looking after your engine that well and that may mean the oil absorbs more contaminants. Given the investment in the motorhome, more frequent changes in oil than the intervals suggest seems prudent.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I was working on the buses we had a spate of oil and diesel filters leaking . We thought it was one of the apprentices putting them on with a strap wrench rather than hand tight.
After checking the service sheets this wasn’t the case. It was a faulty batch that leaked were the base was fitted to the canister. We were lucky to not loose an engine or have an oil fire.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've heard of an oil filter splitting before, but that was a manufacturing fault, the result being a brand new engine in a Porsche many years ago. o_O

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I have just bought a replacement oil filter for my Ducato 100 Multijet. I just received a filter element, rather than a complete cannister. Is that correct!
When checked on ebay mine definitely says a canister for my peogeot boxer 2.2 diesel 2009 model

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
We should remember the base vehicle of our MH's is a commercial one. Oil change frequencies are set by the manufacturer expecting them to be used regularly and a lot. 2 year, 20,000 miles is fine, but are also maximums, and there are often recommendations, buried in manuals for more frequent changes in special circumstances based on temperature and use types.

But most MH's are used intermittently. Many sit idle for a few weeks, if not months at a time, with a number going nowhere over the winter months (ignoring the added pressures of lockdown). Many MH's will struggle to get to that 20,000 miles in 4 years or more, let alone less than 2. In these circumstances you aren't looking after your engine that well and that may mean the oil absorbs more contaminants. Given the investment in the motorhome, more frequent changes in oil than the intervals suggest seems prudent.

Thanks for that comment, but more importantly - how do you get your typing upside down like that?
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thanks for that comment, but more importantly - how do you get your typing upside down like that?
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı
puǝıɹɟ ʎɯ sı ǝןƃooƃ 🙃

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back