Coffee machine off generator? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
A simple cafetiere with a good quality ground coffee works for us whilst away in the MH, very little extra weight, very little cleaning up, no foil / plastics to dispose of, simples!!
That's a good option, one that I have used for years. The Bialetti Moka stove-top coffee pot works better for my taste in coffee, and an electric espresso machine, even a basic one, works even better, again to my personal taste. Hence my wondering...

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Aimed at those who need electricity to make good coffee:

Actually I have, for non-motorhome travel, a Bialetti 2-cup electric version of that, that I bought in Italy, together with a stove-top base which I can swap on, and together with a small alcohol stove that gives me good coffee anywhere. I am sufficiently keen on coffee that I carried that kit on a 10-day hike in Greece last year. I carried the basic pot without the electrical base on the 30-day Camino De Santiago hike the year before. Good coffee is worth it IMHO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I run my 1200W coffee machine off a 1500W pure sine inverter. It only runs for a minute or two so the power consumed is probably less than 50 watt-hours which is the same as about a 4 amp load for an hour. Of course the batteries are hit with around a 100A load while the machine is running but that is only for a brief period.

The upshot is 200W solar soon recharges the batteries and in winter a short drive quickly replenishes everything when the 60A battery to battery (B2B) charger kicks in.

Having to dig out a generator to make a coffee sounds a bit masochistic, with an inverter you can make a coffee silently and without annoying anyone. Generators also prone to theft.
Thanks for that (and to others who suggested a big inverter Instead of a generator). But that's an answer to the coffee machine question, which is a subsidiary question, deriving from the apparent need to get a generator, so perhaps I should go away and look at that more.

All your points are good, not only theft but weight problems. But I am running short of power, even though I do drive quite a few hours every other day. I have a Hymer and the Electroblock does seem to do a good job of charging but not good enough. It (together with 2 x 60W portable solar panels) is good enough for summer but the combination of lack of sun and use of blown air heating is tipping my usage over the edge. Since I retired and began fulltiming mostly off grid 5 years ago, I have spent up to 6 months over the winter every year with the van in storage and me in the Southern Hemisphere, but that is out this year.

Em, how do you wire up a B2B over the EBL99? I need to research that.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I don’t know. What is wrong with a moka/mocha?
To some coffee lovers, it makes good strong coffee but not really espresso. Nothing wrong with it, and if you like espresso then no other method comes closer to it than a moka, which is why that's what I currently use. Close but not quite, I just like the espresso machine better.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for that (and to others who suggested a big inverter Instead of a generator). But that's an answer to the coffee machine question, which is a subsidiary question, deriving from the apparent need to get a generator, so perhaps I should go away and look at that more.

All your points are good, not only theft but weight problems. But I am running short of power, even though I do drive quite a few hours every other day. I have a Hymer and the Electroblock does seem to do a good job of charging but not good enough. It (together with 2 x 60W portable solar panels) is good enough for summer but the combination of lack of sun and use of blown air heating is tipping my usage over the edge. Since I retired and began fulltiming mostly off grid 5 years ago, I have spent up to 6 months over the winter every year with the van in storage and me in the Southern Hemisphere, but that is out this year.

Probably worth starting a new thread on fitting a B2B with an EBL99. It has certainly been done I'm sure. My van has a simple split charge system which was reasonably easy to disconnect by removing a fuse. Somehow you have to stop the EBL from trying to charge the leisure battery while driving and just let the B2B do all the work.

Prior to fitting a B2B it could take four or five hours driving to fully recharge the batteries. With a B2B it is an hour at most.

And an Aeropress makes a good filter type coffee - but it isn't expresso. :)

Deleted User
A perfectly sensible need, a true Coffee Officinado takes Coffee seriously.
A fellow Motorhomer who l hope to see tomorrow even roasts his own beans all whilst on the road.
I sometimes roast my own beans at home but it is extremely messy when the husk comes off the bean so couldn't imagine roasting them in a motor caravan unless they use a special designed roaster which are expensive.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I sometimes roast my own beans at home but it is extremely messy when the husk comes off the bean so couldn't imagine roasting them in a motor caravan unless they use a special designed roaster which are expensive.
I don’t really know the process but he does it outside the MH and the aroma is quite strong.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I have 1 x 250W + 1 x 100W panels (the latter came with the van). I have room for another 250W that I intend to install. Before considering a generator it's well worth maximising solar (if you haven't already done so) and installing the B2B. (with B2B you need to disable alternator charging via the EBL - that's all). IMO the ideal generator would be a high output 12v device if such a thing is available. That way if you use a good-sized inverter you have 250v available on or off grid with a rapid charge from the generator whenever (or if) needed. The opinions I've seen expressed by full-timers on the forum suggest: maximum battery capacity (lithium if within budget), followed by maximum solar, followed by B2B, followed by (if it proves necessary) a generator. Generator rarely needed.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have 2 x 90Ah batteries so if they were down to 50% that would be 5 hours charging, says the back of my envelope.
I'd go with funflair 's advice. You could get a 36A battery charger direct to the batteries which would halve the generator run time.

Or an 18A Secondary charger, feeding into the 2-way 'Zusatz Ladegerat' socket on the EBL, with a 20A fuse in the 'Zus. Ladegerat' fuse slot. Together with the existing charger, that would halve the generator run time too.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I prefer tea but used to drink instant coffee at work as I didn't have the patience to wait for a tea bag to brew.
Haven't drunk coffee since retiring 15 years ago but might try some again as this thread makes me feel as if I'm missing something.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Gosh, I could convert my quarter tonne arbor press! Wouldn't help the payload though... :eek:
arbor.jpg

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
You go for it! You can't beat a decent coffee in the peace and quiet of the wilderness, whilst "wild camping" (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can't beat camp coffee.....
Used to work in the place that made it and you could tell that's what the lines were running half way along the street. It used to stink!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have one of these. It came with the van, otherwise we wouldn’t have it ....

Brilliant. But we only drink Gold Blend! :rofl:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Well, I just get by and I use either Tesco or Aldi or Morrisons instant coffee.... :)

HOWEVER, I'M ALWAYS OVER THE MOON WHEN SOMEONE GIVES ME A DECENT COFFEE MADE WITH A MACHINE... Delicious. :)

Hope you all remember that. ( Blue and white motorhome.)

So you now know that if you want a machine to make you delicious coffee you need the following: 500w Solar,2000w Inverter,Generator,B2B Charger, Efoy,Lithium Batteries,EBL unit, Oh and a Nespresso Machine and your all set.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So you now know that if you want a machine to make you delicious coffee you need the following: 500w Solar,2000w Inverter,Generator,B2B Charger, Efoy,Lithium Batteries,EBL unit, Oh and a Nespresso Machine and your all set.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
You forgot the hunky toy boy to operate it and deliver output to bedside!;):giggle:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You forgot the hunky toy boy to operate it and deliver output to bedside!;):giggle:
Speaking just for myself, I'd be even more confused how to work a toy boy than that bloomin' great coffee machine. :)

Maybe it is something else we could HOPE for in the coming year... A coffee morning meet comparing coffee from everyone's machines?? :)

Go away Covid. We have had enough of you now. :(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Speaking just for myself, I'd be even more confused how to work a toy boy than that bloomin' great coffee machine. :)
But that's the good thing about it the toy boy comes, eh has an audible instruction manual installed! It tells you what to do.:giggle:

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Here's another plan. Fill the tank and put Milan into your satnav.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I don't think I have "insulted" or "denigrated" anyone on this thread...

JJ :cool:
perhaps I am being overly sensitive. This is what I meant, together with your post asking if this thread was a joke.

BTW what happened to those posts?

Yesterday at 7:15 PM
<Broken link removed>
Ah... I see... Mr FT, you have to spend hundreds of pounds (impressing the neighbours?) on machine to display your serious love of coffee...

Interesting.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back