Help needed! Broken down in 35C France... Turbocharger maybe?? (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This thread goes to show why belonging to fun is a god send in situations like this.
Funster has big problem.
A large number of other funsters get involved with good, solid advice including several offers of work areas.
Top notch translation services offered.
And Young Dave thanked everybody involved rather than just disappearing.
Long live MHF
Yes itā€™s good to get feedback.... makes it all worthwhile..šŸ‘šŸ¼

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Who needs ADAC ,when we have fun(y)

I did take a look on mine a 1998 2.5td fiat plant but bright sunlight ,a cr*p cam on the spare phone and tight space on the A class bonnet/hatch.
I did find a load of cobwebs though.
The hose on mine comes from the scrubber box across to the air filter and various other pipes .
IMG_20200730_161312_BURST001_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200730_170617.jpg
IMG_20200730_162147.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Give me the number of the garage (or its name and town) I will check for Dave and will also tell them if open in August (hummm!!!)they are going to have a client soon.

Garage Patouillard, Dunieres 43220, 0471668202 Have a look at #72

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Weyhey ! Got them ! A very nice lady answered in spite of my late call, and... THEY ARE OPEN till the 14th of August!

Now she would like to know (I know you might have say it all along the posts but indeed, I don't master mecanic vocabulary that much, and didn't read all the details)

1)What's the engine (ducato, mercedes ford..etc) how many kms on the clock
2)Describe the problem ... err possibly with words I can manage to translate at least with google if too specific.
3)When you assume you can reach their position

4)Anything which could help them to get the problem so they can sort you quicker!

I will call them back when I know it all.

Off to eat now....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
YoungDave this is not a criticism of you, so please don't take it as such. Somebody, likely before you owned the van has obviously had problems, hence the wrong "jubilee" clips on the pipes. It may be that the bottom crankcase breather hose attachment broke of long ago. The dirty oily engine suggests this. And the top hose to the air intake, by the filter was left off, as it vents to the air in the engine bay anyway

If it was me, I would spend the time, or pay somebody, to clean the engine bay and replace all those manky hoses with new. Include a new scrubber box, they are not massively expensive. They were always a problem waiting to happen anyway and will trip you up again if left. Then a full service with oil and air filters

The problem with old engines, if you have no mechanical knowledge is that you buy and are relying on somebody else's previous repairs. Some may have been temporary quick fixes that have worked and been forgotten. If travelling in your van, you need to have confidence it is fit to go where you want when needed. In that condition, I wouldn't be confident to risk a 50 mile journey. Look after that engine and it will last for years of reliability

As I said, no criticism of you, just the way somebody has sold you the van without it being maintained well

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
Hi everybody, sorry for the slow replies. After disconnecting the hoses as advised by jockaneezer we continued on and made it to the Lac d'Aydat yesterday early evening yesterday. We bought a couple of cold beers, and went for a swim in the lake, and got an early night. A great evening which was a reminder why motorhomes are so fun after a pretty stressful couple of days!

tonyidle thanks for that diagram. I can look up all those components so I know what they look like. I'm not that mechanically-minded currently - but intend to be. In my experience the only way to really understand something is to do it!

yodeli thank you so much again, and WJACC for beating me to re-sharing the number. The details are
1. Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD c.1995
2. The problems all relate to the Crankcase Breather
i. The Oil Return Pipe from the Crankcase Breather has come loose
ii. The Gas Pipe from the Crankcase Brether to the Air Filter/Turbo is not present
iii. I don't know if this is too much to ask, but I would certainly be interested in a quote to - as per TheBig1 's suggestion:

clean the engine bay, replace any bad hoses with new, replace scrubber box, conduct full service with new oil and air filters. (Also how long this would take). If that is too much to ask, just i. & ii. above - I will have a separate consideration of how I achieve iii.

The Dotties Raul Jake Royd - I agree. I said it earlier but I'll say it again - MHF is a truly special thing. Having got through including resolving issue created by paying a reputable garage through this forum - and be moving again, with another (recommended) garage in sight - it genuinely makes me feel a bit emotional. Don't know where we'd be without you all right now!

jollyrodger thanks for the pics - I'm sure they will be useful next time I get under there - particularly along with tonyidle 's diagram.

airwave - I suspect I am in a similar state - hopefully the service as detailed by TheBig1 will cover most of this (except for electricals) off.

Thanks again everybody and all the best,
YoungDave

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
yodeli Sorry I forgot to say when we can be at the garage for. We could be there for Monday; if they can fit us in some time between Monday and Wednesday would be great....

Thank you so much again,
YoungDave

EDIT: And sorry the problems are to do with the Catch Can - NOT Crankcase Breather per #98

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
It's great to see a problem solved with the help of Funsters.
It sounds like (I know this is late but I have been following the thread for a few days) the breather system is a minor problem but not the root cause.

That seems to be a bleed pipe missing or not connected, on either the exhaust side of the turbo or perhaps more probably on the induction side where pressurised air is being forced into the engine.
This would lower the boost into the engine, reducing power and could account for the 'hissing' noise heard. This could be the main air feed, just coming off the connections , loose clip, anything in that line. Once found , straightforward to fix.

One problem on all Ducato's and other short nosed vehicles is simply seeing and getting access to some areas of the underbonnet.

A fine job was done by all who helped.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
yodeli Sorry I forgot to say when we can be at the garage for. We could be there for Monday; if they can fit us in some time between Monday and Wednesday would be great....

Thank you so much again,
YoungDave

EDIT: And sorry the problems are to do with the Catch Can - NOT Crankcase Breather per #98

OK . Will phone after work when translation is ready!
Hope everything can be sorted quickly so you can carry on your hols peacefully!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Frankie, call it an oil separater for the breather hoses. Any garage should understand what you are trying to explain

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
This is why I joined this forum. Someone in trouble and so many others offering advice, places to stay, places to work.
Like I have said before I looked at a lot of Forums before joining this one. Just proves I made the right decision. Well done to all of you who have offered help in anyway. Restores your faith in human nature. well on this forum anyway.
You should all take a pat on the back for all the help that has been offered. WELL DONE!!!!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
http://mecamobichon.free.fr/cours/glossaire_francais_anglais.pdf I found crankcase page 40

Right I need your help here as I can't find the technical words in French for catch can and crankcase breather
Can you explain their function . I found a few definitions but still can't find the french equivalent
Peut-ĆŖtre relĆ¢chement de la pression du carter moteur for the crankcase breather ? And in English a crankcase breather oil catch can filter and in French une prise dā€™huile de reniflard de carter peut filtrer .

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
une prise dā€™huile de reniflard de carter peut filtrer .

Thing is .... it doesn't make any sense. It is just a word by word translation , unfortunatly. The first bit does make more sense. Thanks Pam. Not easy when it comes to specific words

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Mmm
Thing is .... it doesn't make any sense. It is just a word by word translation , unfortunatly. The first bit does make more sense. Thanks Pam. Not easy when it comes to specific words
Mmm I canā€™t do technical either lol

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Ok next plan . Bill is printing off a plan of the engine . Marking the parts . I will e mail to Jean Claude to ask for the names in French ! He doesnā€™t speak English so no good asking him in English lol Hopefully he picks up the e mail !!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie, call it an oil separater for the breather hoses. Any garage should understand what you are trying to explain

Never saw you post! It just answers my last one! Thanks!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
YoungDave
I called a very good friend of mine who used to be a mecanic, a good one! (JJ AndrƩ, who got me that job at Latecoere)
This is what he just told me: If you've had a probem with the turbo charger (I think you mentionned this at the beginning) , been fixed quickly , then loose somehow power when road became hilly, then my friend thinks you're putting your life (lives) at danger by trying to carry on driving. We just had a terrible accident due to turbo charger on a motorway in France. It has set fire to the engine, no way to stop the turbo which just carried on working even though the engine was switched off.
I certainly can't make a proper diagnosis without seeing things, he said , but with old engines I would ask for a trailer...150 euros may be. (EDIT to the nearest appropriate garage that is)

Now, BAM, I'll do what you want me to do. I now know what to say to the garage. But I could not keep this for me and let you carry on without warning you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Hi yodeli - thanks so much for sharing so quickly. Thankfully the issue with the turbo I believe I have fixed myself. I have drive again and am feeling confident with the engine. I appreciate you sharing however, it does make me more inclined to get a full service if the garage can offer it.

Do you have what you know now for the catch can/oil seperator & crankcase breather terminology?

Thank you so much again, you have been a saint!!

YoungDave

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Yes I know what each thing is. and so can explain. I don't know whether the mecanic will venture a quote before having seen it. But in any case I am going to contact the garage and let them know you're on your way and will be there on Monday... fingers crossed!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
YoungDave I had the garage, they understood perfectly what the problem is , and said if they can find the part quickly it should be ready by wednesday. Finding the part is the main thing. They can't make a quote until they see the Moho, but then you will have it quickly.
If any problem to understand each other they will contact me so you don't use your English phone! (y):dance2:

They are waiting for you on Monday as said!

Job done as far as I am concerned!;):p:Grin::sun::sun::sun:

Amicalement
Frankie:party3:

OP
OP
YoungDave

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
yodeli thank you so so much. Job done indeed, we will be there on Lundi - and see from there!

Salut!!!

YoungDave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back