Where would you go in the winter (UK only)? (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I'm thinking of heading south for the winter (but staying in the UK). Where would your favourite destination be?

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We have had lovely winter breaks in Grantown-on-Spey In January crunching around in crisp moonlit snow, and at Mousehole on lovely sunny spring days, a change of scenery is a wonderful thing, if anything I would book it last minute knowing you will at least be able to get out and about. Every UK season can be lovely but better if it’s dryish! It’s ok being stick inside for a morning but every day would be too much.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The Lizard is as far as you'll get, but that's popular with dog owners :D

My late parents moved from London to Sutton on Sea when they sold their Council house. The first time I visited them I was struck- literally- by the cold easterly wind!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I had my first Christmas in the van last year stayed close to home to headed to west wales the weather was fab a few rainy days but nothing to stop me getting out and about and the cheapie site I stayed on only £10 a night with EHU. I was going further down until the site told me they were open but no facilities open and I would be the only one there.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Its a bootiful place to live, a bit windy as I type but it’s lovely and warm down here in Norfolk
Towards the coast the sea keeps the temperature up and don’t see much snow, yet inland Norwich can see much more.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where are you going to stay in the UK in winter? A few of the CMC sites stay open, for example the ones at Brighton and I think Truro as well but the choice is limited.

Hop over to France and use the aires. Or Germany for Christmas markets if that's your thing. 😀

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Why not offer to driveway sit a south coast funster who is off to Spain for the winter? I would think some would welcome the security knowing another funster is watching their home while they are away.

Think there was a thread last week talking about driveway swapping.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Rural Perthshire.

Only place to be in winter

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`m waiting for Global Warming, to make the south coast like Spain(y) I`m working on a scheme to do away with all this "Green" stuff and bring back some pollution, that should speed it up a bit.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I`m waiting for Global Warming, to make the south coast like Spain(y) I`m working on a scheme to do away with all this "Green" stuff and bring back some pollution, that should speed it up a bit.

Buy me a stonking big block V8 say an old Challenger or Charger 👍

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Biased moi? Yes! if I didn't live in Cornwall, that would be where I would head for. St Just in fact, outside of Penzance
Some one I think twas Jim mentioned the Lizard, the most southerly place in the UK ?

Have you seen the trees there? or should I say what passes for trees?, even the people that live there walk with a 45 degree lean! :doh: People there hang out their washing to dry, and pick it in 3 streets away!:Eeek:

No St Just is where I'd go, haven't a clue where in St Just, Why? the village has shops, butcher, bakery, a couple of pubs, a surgery, Bus service into Penzance and beyond, close to the SW Coastal path if you fancy walkies..

AND! Of course, I'm very friendly with this lovely Lady that I know in Lanner:notworthy2::hugs:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We go away all the year round in the UK. We aim for places where there is something to do, after it gets dark. We don't want to be shut in the motorhome from about 3.30 in the afternoon.

We like the New Forest, as there are plenty of nice country pubs to visit. We like Lymington and Bournemouth, which aren't far.

We go up to Seahouses in Northumberland in January. We love Seahouses and always stay at
It's not a cheap site but we like it because there's a pool, gym, spa, and a nice bar to sit in. The leisure facilities are included in the price. There are dedicated hard standing pitches and it's a pleasant site and extremely clean.

We like the beach for the dog and there are several nice bars and restaurants.

Another place we like is in Norfolk. https://www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk/stays-and-boat-hire/touring-camping/

Again there are dedicated pitches, the place is on the banks of the river Waveney and it's a really lovely place. They have a pool and a restaurant/bar, which serves cheap decent grub.

In the winter, I don't think it matters where you go in the UK, it can be cold anywhere. We just take plenty of warm clothes and an electric blanket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back