Any truth in this ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
I'm very close, ( a matter of days away) to buying a new motorhome, low profile 7.49mtr long, gross weight 3850 kgs.
I have just learnt that there are, and have been Government discussions about lowering the age from 70yrs of age to 65yrs of age in respect of the C1 license applicable to drive such vehicles. Thereby requiring drivers to sit tests/medicals earlier than at this current legislation requires ?
If this is likely to be the case this would have a possible impact on my decision making for 2 reasons, ie, the time I'd have to make use of the vehicle, and the re-sale of the vehicle.
Please forgive me if any of the above details are incorrect, as I do not wish to send anyone into panic over any inaccuracies to the above question. However this is information that's been quoted to me yesterday.
I've tried to research the matter without success.
Hopefully someone maybe able to put me right with some 'actual' facts.

Many thanks
Wizz

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have not seen anything about it, where did you get this from?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm very close to buying a new motorhome, low profile 7.49mtr long, gross weight 3850 kgs.
I have just learnt that there are and have been Government discussions about lowering the age from 70yrs of age to 65yrs of age in respect of the C1 license applicable to drive such vehicles. Thereby requiring drivers to sit tests/medicals ?
If this is likely to be the case this would have a possible impact on my decision making for 2 reasons, ie, the time I'd have to make use of the vehicle, and the re-sale of the vehicle.
Please forgive me if any of the above details are incorrect, as I do not wish to send anyone into panic over any inaccuracies to the above question. However this is information that's been quoted to me yesterday.

Many thanks
Wizz
Well, firstly, when did you pass your test? Was it pre 1997?
Plus, is there a specific reason that you don't want a medical for your fitness to drive?
I have one every year now (under 70) to retain my hgv and psv vocational licences

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I have not heard anything but to be honest we’ve just downsized anyway. For us we were seduced by a beautiful Laika but with the C1 looming we decided to get rid. We have a smaller lighter Carthago on order.

We’ve spent a lot of money and wish now we’d gone for a smaller lighter MH to start with.
To be honest, why do you actually need a bigger MH?

Deleted User
I think comments like that need to be substantiate as it could cause a lot of concerns to elder drivers who need their C1 licence. It sounds like the sort of story pasted on facebook and if so then it is almost certainly incorrect.
Why would they consider lowering the age limit when peoples health in general is improving, people are living longer, hence the reason for raising the OAP age qualification.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Could be an issue for people still working up to the retirement age of 66. So if it is being discussed I suspect that may stop any legislation.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Well, firstly, when did you pass your test? Was it pre 1997?
Plus, is there a specific reason that you don't want a medical for your fitness to drive?
I have one every year now (under 70) to retain my hgv and psv vocational licences

Surely that makes no difference ?
Even if passed before 1997 and has automatic C1 entitlement, you still have to take a medical at 70 so if they were to reduce the age it means the OP has a valid point

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
The poster is looking for us to substantiate it, that's what the forums for, helping each other. If the poster cant find any facts online, no funster knows about it, its doubtful therefore, but as always that's not conclusive proof their not.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sounds like a load of tosh to me,if you want the detailed,in-depth,analysis!!!:giggle:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Well, Im considering re-joining the clan after selling up last year
Not yet 63, but I am firmly looking only at 3500 max
No medical fears, just a choice

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
If ever electric motorhomes make the grade, something would have to be done about weight and driver restrictions I'd think.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Surely a medical wont deture you from buying a heavier van? If you are frightened of possible health issues I can understand but if you are fit then having a medical will make sure you are still ok to drive anything. Don't let a medicsl put you off having a heavier van. I've had annual medicals for years now to keep my class 1. I just accept it as part of the process. When I worry about taking the medical that's when it's time to stop driving larger vehicles.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Surely that makes no difference ?
Even if passed before 1997 and has automatic C1 entitlement, you still have to take a medical at 70 so if they were to reduce the age it means the OP has a valid point
The word is IF

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I have heard of this before, back when CPC's came in for lorry drivers, there were rumours that a driver of any vehicle over 3.5t would have to do a CPC course as they would align all licences with lgv ones.....
Hence the 65 age limit, not heard anything since though

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
HI Wizz, welcome to the fun house! :giggle:

I'm very close, ( a matter of days away) to buying a new motorhome, low profile 7.49mtr long, gross weight 3850 kgs.
Just to digress a little - have you asked for the axle weights for it so you know if it has sufficient payload as that's not a lot of capacity for a large MH?

I have just learnt that there are, and have been Government discussions about lowering the age from 70yrs of age to 65yrs of age in respect of the C1 license applicable to drive such vehicles. Thereby requiring drivers to sit tests/medicals earlier than at this current legislation requires ?

... However this is information that's been quoted to me yesterday.
I can't find any reference to this at all for private drivers, only for those who drive for a job etc and need to retain their HGV licence.

Who told you about this?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
If you think it’s because you’d fail the medical then surely you shouldn’t be driving it no matter what age.
That must and should depend only on the medical issue. I no longer have C1 for age/medical reasons but my condition is controlled and monitored. The monitoring is carried out at least once per 24 hours remotely and face to face quarterly. Any issues would be reported to DVLA straight away and legally I must stop driving and hand in my licence. There are I know others, world wide, in same position but apart from them who else can say in all honesty that they are physically (medically) safer to drive. God (or whoever) frbid that any one on this forum should have something such as cardiac arrest while driving. One second fine next all but dead. Perhaps given it could happen at any time we should all stop driving.

OP
OP
Wizz
Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Just to add, the first reference to this matter was mentioned on this actual forum some time ago.
I will search for it and link it.
I also heard it in the last few days from a MH mechanic.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Strangely enough, searching Google, I came across this

According to Department for Transport statistics * older drivers have been in fewer reported accidents than younger ones. The report from 2015 states that 15.36% of reported accidents were involving drivers aged under 24 compared to only 5.95% involving drivers aged over 70.

The UK rules for older drivers originate from the same rules that govern the EU. There has been nothing published to say what will happen following Brexit.

There could be changes to the rules that apply to older drivers in the future after the government has considered recommendations that, according to a <Broken link removed>, ‘include:

• The automatic requirement for drivers to notify the DVLA at the age of 70 of any medical condition that may affect safe driving should be raised to 75,
  • DVLA should require evidence of an eyesight test at age 75 and encourage vision checks every two years, particularly from age 60; and
  • The government should support an evaluation of driving appraisal courses offered by the public sector and those in the private sector who wish to participate.’
Couple of things, obviously older/younger driver accident stats and a different suggestion. Sorry about the B word

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
That must and should depend only on the medical issue. I no longer have C1 for age/medical reasons but my condition is controlled and monitored. The monitoring is carried out at least once per 24 hours remotely and face to face quarterly. Any issues would be reported to DVLA straight away and legally I must stop driving and hand in my licence. There are I know others, world wide, in same position but apart from them who else can say in all honesty that they are physically (medically) safer to drive. God (or whoever) frbid that any one on this forum should have something such as cardiac arrest while driving. One second fine next all but dead. Perhaps given it could happen at any time we should all stop driving.
I understand something like that could happen at anytime but some folk down plate their MH because they can’t pass a medical, if they weren’t fit to drive it at the uprated figure are they really fit to drive the exact same MH with no medical.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I tend to keep a fairly close eye on the news and haven’t seen any thoughts or rumours about this.
Sounds like fake news.
Having to have a medical every three years is not a great burden or problem as long as you’re reasonably fit. I’m due to have my third three year medical in six months time (you might work out that I’m getting ancient :giggle:) but have no concerns about keeping our 4.5t van.
Besides, having a check up now and again isn’t a bad thing as you get older.
Don't panic, go ahead and buy and enjoy your new van. (y)

Richard.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I haven’t heard anything about this but do know from previous history that changes to license entitlement is usually only applied from the date of implementation so if you have rights already they are kept, eg the trailer and 7.5t license entitlements were not changed for anyone holding them at the time.
The only time I know of losing rights was when the motorcycle learner license reduced the 250cc to 125cc but again that didn’t effect anyone with a full license

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I have heard of this before, back when CPC's came in for lorry drivers, there were rumours that a driver of any vehicle over 3.5t would have to do a CPC course as they would align all licences with lgv ones.....
Hence the 65 age limit, not heard anything since though
As it happens, there are 2 'CPC's' as such.
The real Certificate of Professional Competence which is the minimum requirement for being a Transport Manager in either Logistics or Bus/Coach etc and the other one which which actually is called Driver Qualification Card.
CPC is a one off examination and each has 2 sections or parts per se. National and International. Obviously you must gain the National before going on to get the International and it lasts for life.
DQC (which is now commonly called Driver CPC) is taken and renewed every 5 years and consists of 5 x 7 hours classroom 'study' for want of a better word. You can take this in a variety of ways from one 7 hour day per year or a 35 hour week within the 5 year qualifying period.
However, the Driver CPC (whether hgv or pcv) may or may not have bearing on what you actually do.
In essence, you could sit the same 7 hour day (could be night of course) and still get your qualification.
There are also various other training that can reduce the requirements such as ADR course (also lasts 5 years) and that can count as 3 days training against the CPC (DQC) and fork lift training can also count but some companies reassess their drivers who require a FLT licence yearly and some never reassess

Receiving a DQC
A DQC will be issued to new drivers automatically on successfully passing the Driver CPC initial qualification. It will be sent to the address on your driving licence, so make sure that your details are up to date with the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA).

By this time you are required to have completed your first 35 hours of periodic training. On completing the 35 hours training, a DQC will be issued to drivers that hold a Northern Ireland photocard licence.

Carrying proof of your Driver CPC status
You must always carry your DQC as evidence of your Driver CPC status while driving professionally. If you don't, you will be liable for penalties.

Bit more information

By now, all drivers should have a Driver Qualification Card, or DQC. There are a small number of exemptions, but as everyone now knows, if you’re a professional large goods vehicle driver (C, C1, C+E or C1+E), then Driver CPC is an ongoing obligation. Professional PCV drivers with equivalent licences are also required to hold a DQC.

I actually can't find that there is a 3.5 tonne requirement but I'm sure someone will come along but irrespective of the weight, it's for professional drivers not drivers of private vehicles including motorhomes/RV's etc

Just found this

Even if a driver passed their test before 1997, they will still have to complete 35 hours of Driver CPC training every five years if they want to drive a 7.5-tonne vehicle professionally, unless they are covered by an exemption. ... The vehicle is operated by the armed forces or emergency services.22 Aug 2017

Then this

Any drivers of lorries and vans over 3.5 tonnes, and passenger carrying vehicles carrying nine or more people, will need the CPC as well as their vocational licence. Without it, you can't legally drive the vehicle.

Important, although you may have the CPC national and International, you must take a Driver CPC to enable you to drive a vehicle professionally.
The Driver CPC taken as a hgv driver also allows it to be a Driver CPC on passenger vehicles.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The automatic requirement for drivers to notify the DVLA at the age of 70 of any medical condition that may affect safe driving should be raised to 75,
There already is a requirement for drivers of all ages to notify the DVLA of any medical condition that could affect safe driving. The procedure changes at 70 but the legal obligation starts with your first driving license.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There already is a requirement for drivers of all ages to notify the DVLA of any medical condition that could affect safe driving. The procedure changes at 70 but the legal obligation starts with your first driving license.
Yes, however that is a quote from the website not my words.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I too haven't seen anything on this. But whilst I agree keeping an eye on your health is good thing generally, I'm not sure would want to be sweating on the results both medically, and potentially being unable to drive my van.
My suggestion to a potential new owner is to take the time and be as certain as possible that you want and need the extra space/load capacity over 3,5 tonnes gives you, and if you do, go ahead and enjoy it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back