Sassenachs doing the NC500. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The wife went to Asda Bearsden today to get fuel, there was a Hymer fueling up. She asked them if they were just out for the day to be told no, we are heading up to do the NC500. Not only them but another 6 of their English friends would be joining them, what bit of stay safe do they not understand. šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
They would have been winding her up they come up North and they will be shot or worse. :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Why?
Are they putting you personally at risk in their self contained motorhomes?
Perhaps because those of us who have observed the rules object to those with a ā€œme, me, meā€ attitude.

Why should locals who have complied with the advice or, in Wales, the law, be expected to welcome someone who clearly doesnā€™t give a damn, into their community.

Whether they put locals in jeopardy or not is beside the point. Society exists by co-operating with other.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That bird has flown...
Stay locked up if you wish... until when?
Let those with a bit of intelligence, judge the risk to themselves.
If you keep your distance, if you limit your contact with strangers, then there is actually minimal risk of contracting the virus.
And if you do catch it, there's evidence that unless you're an 80 year old obese diabetic Asian with a heart condition, you'll most likely recover.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Why?
Are they putting you personally at risk in their self contained motorhomes?
No, not personally, but why should the government bother even trying if people wilfully ignore guidance provided to save lifes. Here in Scotland there is a 5 mile limit on travel for leisure. They are not endangering me as I live in the South West, here we have one of the lowest rates of infection on the mainland. The feeling here is we don't want any tourists for the next few months, not weeks. These folk have 'mince for brains' a really good Scottish saying.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think it may be time to ditch this, after all you don't want to be classed as a hypocrite do you ?

1592676681798.png

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Said guidance has to be realistic, evidence based and make logical sense.
Said guidance must not be based on political point scoring.
At the beginning, the lockdown was the former.
Now it's a free for all depending on where you live... bubbles, 6 or 8 people, 5 miles or as far as you like. Masks, no masks. Can go into a multi floor department store but not a shopping mall...
Complete confused nonsense.

You want to stay safe?
Keep your distance & when unavoidable, limit time in close proximity inside to strangers.
That's it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not looking to start any argument or political do-da's but honestly curious - as a member of the great unwashed where would I go to get an interpretation of the English rules if I wasn't on this forum.
Are they genuinely unaware of what they are allowed to do or just a load of chancers?

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Campsites aren't open until 15 th and don't think toilets are open yet in tourist areas, where is they're waste going. Would 2 cassettes do 2 weeks until 15 th onward.
How about digging a hole... the depth & distance from a water course is debatable - but the principle has long been accepted as proper.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Aye that's right. Sorry don't believe it. If your selfish enough to travel up just now when told not to you're not likely to play by the rules.
Why don't you direct your ire at the hundreds of protesters who gathered in George Square today - despite being told not to - rather than half a dozen motorhomers doing no harm to anyone :doh:.
I know who I consider to be more selfish.

The problem with common sense is that it's not that common :whistle2: .

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
How do you know I haven't. I responded about the motorhomes as it's on a motorhome forum. I think all protesters are selfish protesting in this pandemic whether in Scotland or England. I think secret ravers are selfish as well, people that congregate in beauty spots also.
If they are travelling in convoy I hope they get their heid and hands to pay with and sent packing to play at their aine bit. Haven't even moved back to Scotland yet but just getting in some practice. ;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Love it as I do with a passion, I have friends & family in SW Scotland, the Highlands & Islands will be packed beyond recognition as soon as it opens up to campervans, it was bad enough last Spring with hire vans all over Skye, and single track roads in places. Campsites looked pretty full also in April/May around the NC500 so we didnt go there either, but we did use a couple of CL's, and luckily stayed at friends & family farms.
I honestly feel if you go this year, what you will see & encounter, could spoil every fond memory you have for the place, especially those special hidden places, as they are probably now on Park4nite.

Even if sites open, along with Public toilets, maybe pubs & restaurants, unfortunately there will be more than tyre prints left behind, more sadly, in the most remote places, it breaks my heart to think about it.

I would like to think experienced others would feel the same, there is always next year, hopefully years after that also.
Possible Alternative may be Europe, as it is for many, although Euro-tunnel are taking the mickey with their current pricing,:eek: looking at ferries as they seem a little fairer priced, but have gone up also, this is "The New Norm" I guess.
Just stay safe, be sensible, and dont wind up the locals by your presence would be the best advice, wouldn't it? or might I just shout at the wall for all the difference it will make.

LES

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
If this NC500 (already controversial) is likely to be packed when you're allowed to go...
...seems perfect timing to go now - before it gets busy!

:imoutahere:
If nothing else the midges will hopefully change their minds(y):giggle: They are after all wee kranky's first line of defence against the sassenach invasion, they sure dont take any prisoners, when roamin in the gloamin.:giggle:
LES

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I flew over the ski car park in the Cairngorms today. Dozens of cars and half-a-dozen motorhomes parked up. Seems harmless to me but I, too, wonder what they are doing about ā€œfacilitiesā€.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
How about digging a hole... the depth & distance from a water course is debatable - but the principle has long been accepted as proper.

Boy-scouts rules. 18ā€ down and 30 paces from water**. BP may Have been a racists facist SOB but he taught me how to behave and survive when the wifi goes down! (Sorry. Iā€™ll get my coat ....)

** First job on a campsite - dig the latrines. Then put the screens up THEN help The Guides pitch their tents! Finally build the mess....

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well I'm fed up of the rules , its stupid when we have so many protests, are folk really blinkered, the roads are busy, the beaches are busy. Do you really think everyones only travelled 5 miles. It is a guidance only. Call me selfish but as of the 1st July our van is going on the road and I will be taking mum off somewhere. Her mental health is suffering being cooped up alone for 3 months. She's had enough too.

Most important is Social distance and regularly wash hands, that'll do us.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Why don't you direct your ire at the hundreds of protesters who gathered in George Square today - despite being told not to - rather than half a dozen motorhomers doing no harm to anyone :doh:.
I know who I consider to be more selfish.

The problem with common sense is that it's not that common :whistle2: .
And what about the thousands that gathered in London for a (peaceful) protest about b**** lives matter and ended up rioting last week ?

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Well I'm fed up of the rules , its stupid when we have so many protests, are folk really blinkered, the roads are busy, the beaches are busy. Do you really think everyones only travelled 5 miles. It is a guidance only. Call me selfish but as of the 1st July our van is going on the road and I will be taking mum off somewhere. Her mental health is suffering being cooped up alone for 3 months. She's had enough too.

Most important is Social distance and regularly wash hands, that'll do us.
Your mum is not the only one but it really is taking the p*** when people come from down south to holiday in Scotland when we are taking an allegedly stronger line over this crisis.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Your mum is not the only one but it really is taking the p*** when people come from down south to holiday in Scotland when we are taking an allegedly stronger line over this crisis.
Yes I know my mums not the only one but she's the only one thats MY mum. A stronger line..."Allegedly" right enough. Hmmm that lets protests go on how many times? They have more chance of transferring the virus than we do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back