Marquis, get your act together! (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Marquis in Ipswich said they'd phone me back after me telling them I had up to £50,000 to spend ...

That was three years ago.. we bought elsewhere, (and spent half that).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Seriously guys give these businesses a chance to open properly before you crucify them on here.

It’s hellish hard to close down for months and then open and be expected to operate as if nothing has happened :rolleyes:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We had a pleasant experience buying from them. If they have done what they are supposed to then their after service will be good. Will find out tomorrow.

When you think about it its actually a fair point Chris has made. They are run off their feet trying to play catch up.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ve been contacted during lockdown by the dealer I’m buying off, even though the dealership was closed.

Any emails replied to within 24 hours. Even when lockdown wasn’t happening, 3 dealers didn’t even get back to me after my initial contact.

I’m easy to please........just get back to me and I’m happy. :giggle:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We first looked at a MH in late 2019, we have 2 dealers on the door step Heart of England and Marquis.

Heart of England were great, really good contact etc and no b.s. but didn't have what we wanted,

Marquis had exactly what we wanted, in the show room, correct spec, right price, stood there in person and asked for some small changes before a quote by email.

went back twice, called twice, emailed twice, bought elsewhere.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I guess Marquis like many other dealers are busy with potential buyers visiting them in person rather than dealing with casual email or phone enquires.

If you get 20% of casual callers that turn into sales it’s good buisness.

Personally I wouldn’t call someone with 90k to spend casual 😊

Yes dealers will have a lot of catching up to do.
That’s when the good dealers shine and the also rans fall at the first fence 😉😊

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have really tried in the past with Marquis, but failed to purchase. On that basis I cant really comment on the experience ‘after-the-event’

i decided that the sales staff were not trained enough and had very little knowledge of the hobby,the industry or more importantly the product,
I acted a bit wet behind the ears, to guage their responses, and the un-truths started quite quickly To spew out of the sales teams mouths.
Shame, because with their network of potential nationwide support, I think if they were any good, they could really clean up

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I wouldn‘t write off a business for not phoning me back, perhaps your number was written down incorrectly? Perhaps they tried?

I know how hard it can be sometimes when I read that I’ve not replied when I know damn well that I have, only to find out that my ‘reply’ has been stuck in the recipients ‘Junk mail’

I went into the office to check emails and was bemoaning emails then:-

“Hi, I got a message saying low battery from my system, what do you think it is? Cheers Baz”

I then email back, “Hi Baz, your engine battery is probably flat”

I can’t say more than that as I can’t check the records, as “Baz” didn’t think to include a mobile number, a vehicle registration number, a post code, an account number, frankly anything that may distinguish him from literally tens of thousands of records!

And bear in mind the office has normally four people in it, and when I go in to check emails it’s just me, and whilst I am one of the ‘four’ as the boss I am the least likely person to know how to use the technology we have😉 easier to ask some one else “Can you do a database search for Baz@me.com please?

So help business’s help you, by helping your self, please. Name, phone number, second number if possible? and if your already a customer! Registration number or postcode?

Mind you, the ones that really make me laugh are the PM’s on here: ”Hi Eddie, Sprouting Flower here, you you did my Growler last year, can you post me an insurance certificate? Cheers”

Seems so unfriendly replying ‘Hi Sprouting Flower, No problem, could you email info@vanbitz.com and they’ll sort it” As unlike Jim who probably has a clue who “Sprouting Flower“ is, the post office or I don’t 😂

Last edited:

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
From a totally neutral point of view, I visited Marquis in Dinnington on Tuesday to take a look at their storage facilities, and I must say every sales person had someone sitting at their desk with them, and it was extremely busy with customers walking around.

It was also the same story at Lowdhams.

It has been said that dealers all over the country have been inundated since their particular part of the lockdown was lifted, so it may be genuine.

On the other hand, reviews of Marquis customer service aren’t the best.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I wouldn‘t write off a business for not phoning me back, perhaps your number was written down incorrectly? Perhaps they tried?

I know how hard it can be sometimes when I read that I’ve not replied when I know damn well that I have, only to find out that my ‘reply’ has been stuck in the recipients ‘Junk mail’

I went into the office to check emails and was bemoaning emails then:-

“Hi, I got a message saying low battery from my system, what do you think it is? Cheers Baz”

I then email back, “Hi Baz, your engine battery is probably flat”

I can’t say more than that as I can’t check the records, as “Baz” didn’t think to include a mobile number, a vehicle registration number, a post code, an account number, frankly anything that may distinguish him for literally tens of thousands of records!

And bear in mind the office has normally four people in it, and when I go in to check emails it’s just me, and whilst I am one of the ‘four’ as the boss I am the least likely person to know how to use the technology we have😉 easier to ask some one else “Can you do a database search for Baz@me.com please?

So help business’s help you, by helping your self, please. Name, phone number, second number if possible? and if your already a customer! Registration number or postcode?

Mind you, the ones that really make me laugh are the PM’s on here: ”Hi Eddie, Sprouting Flower here, you you did my Growler last year, can you post me an insurance certificate? Cheers”

Seems so unfriendly replying ‘Hi Sprouting Flower, No problem, could you email info@vanbitz.com and they’ll sort it” As unlike Jim who probably has a clue who “Sprouting Flower“ is, the post office or I don’t 😂

If a number has been written down incorrectly surely that’s a staff issue not a buyers issue.

I always repeat any numbers I’m writing down or get the person I’m telling to repeat them.

Yes an email can go to a spam box but not if the email was initiated by the enquirer, as yours would be a response.

If you are emailing someone after taking down the email via a phone call it might be worth suggesting they check their spam box 😊

Just some thoughts obviously your not doing too bad as a buisness 😉😊

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If a number has been written down incorrectly surely that’s a staff issue not a buyers issue.
But that is my point really, If someone has got something that I am interested in buying and spending money on, why would I cut my nose of despite my face based on, what could be a simple mistake?

Our hierarchy is simple. Real live breathing customers in reception get first priority, then, people who phone up, then once the customers in reception have been dealt with, and any phone calls returned, then we look at emails, which we assume if someone wrote to us, they are not worried about an immediate response.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Eddie makes a fair point. Some businesses do go the extra mile to look after their customers though.

For example, soon after we were allowed to drive to exercise, we took our MH to the beach. Whilst parked, I noticed water leaking from near the gas locker. Further investigation revealed a leak from the water tank running under the floor, so I videoed it, drained the tank and contacted Highbridge by email first thing next day. They were all furloughed, but the tech manager replied and had a service agent call me from home on his own mobile. He arranged for the Devon branch service manager to be in touch and although they had a massive backlog of work, they had the MH in on the very first day of opening (1st June), diagnosed the dreaded Rapido drain pipe tank support leg split, and ordered me a new tank from Rapido under warranty. This is a 10 year old MH. They warned me that this could take 2 weeks for delivery and asked if I would mind if they stored the MH in the intervening period to save them having to dismantle the seating all over again. I honestly could not have asked for more. Amazing.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
But that is my point really, If someone has got something that I am interested in buying and spending money on, why would I cut my nose of despite my face based on, what could be a simple mistake?

Our hierarchy is simple. Real live breathing customers in reception get first priority, then, people who phone up, then once the customers in reception have been dealt with, and any phone calls returned, then we look at emails, which we assume if someone wrote to us, they are not worried about an immediate response.

Never had to wait very long for any enquiry I’ve sent to your company. (y)

I haven’t even got my van yet either!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Youre first point I use the two strike rule.
Ignore me twice and you’re off the radar.

Secound point, absolutely agree if someone is there in person they are priority.
Also likewise with calling and email.
Obviously a response needs to be timely and the potential customer should realise that as well.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I will happily take all enquiries lol!
In their defence, a lot of companies are still running on skeleton staff at the moment. If the one sales guy is in with Mrs Smith who is on van safari and does not have a scooby doo what she wants and wants to look at all 50 vans in stock, thats a day gone!
That said a quick email to say I have your email won't go amiss!
I have said before to customers "Look Dave, I know you enquired today about X Van, I genuinely have not stopped and will get on it first thing in the morning when I can look at the deal properly"
If someone sent that to me I would A - Be encouraged as I would rather buy from a busier dealer B - I would be happy that I have been acknowledged.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I bought from Marquis Durham, and compared to my previous caravan purchase from a large multi outlet dealer it was worlds apart. The purchase process was straightforward, the sales person clearly knew their job, and kept in contact. The handover was excellent too, far far better than any caravan I've bought in the past. They spent 2 hours going over things, the van was well prepared, fully cleaned and we had a great experience. The dealer manager also welcomed us before we left. Some months later I had a problem with the Truma system cutting out. Within less than a week it had been back, problem solved, and a peeling decal on order which was fixed as soon as it arrived.

After all the trouble with my last caravan, I had the first habitation check done back at Durham. Again, everything checked, two minor but obscure faults I knew about were picked up showed they had literally checked everything carefully. A tad expensive, but then they did a full gas and electricity safety check, something which our much cheaper caravan mobile dealer did not do, which would explain some of the price difference. Again a positive experience.

What more can you ask of a dealer?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought from Marquis, Tewksbury, last November. Our experience with the purchase was good. We had visited three other dealers that day. Two of them were OK without being very good. One showed little interest although we were looking to spend only up to £60k.

Marquis were very helpful. We looked around their display but initially couldn’t find what we wanted. The salesman who had greeted us and answered a few questions asked us what the problem was. We explained that we knew exactly what we wanted in layout etc but none of their m/hs had it.

He pointed out one that was sold and said that would have fit the bill. We asked could we see it. He agreed as long as he accompanied us at all times since it was sold. Initial impressions were good and he checked that they had one at another branch which they could get for us.

The trade in, on our existing motorhome, met the same level as a previous dealer allowed on a unit £10k dearer and we agreed to buy.p

The only problem experienced so far is that, on collection day, they apologised and said that the PDI had picked up that the rear view camera was faulty and they had not been able to get a new one in time. An appointment was made for it to be fitted later which was done without fuss.

Unfortunately, the new camera also failed just before lockdown. Since then they have kept us in touch and we have an appointment for 7th July, now that they are reopening.

So far so good.

I think that with large, national companies, the staff at individual showrooms/workshops can make or break their reputation.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Another positive for Marquis, certainly with the Benimar range is that as a very large dealer they have been able to specify vans that are specific to the UK market with all the features British people demand. I don't know whether it is Marquis or Benimar themselves, but even within the 18 months I've had mine, nearly all the niggles I had with the van have now been addressed with the new 2020 models.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Obviously correct maison since our first van, a Swift Bessacar in 2009 was purchased from Marquis next to Billing Aquadrome (ie Northampton) and not only did they do us an excellent deal on the purchase price, we also negotiated extras in the form of an awning and a solar panel. Also included 6 months road tax, at which point I expressed my disappointment that it wasn't 12 months. Salesman with a very straight face replied words to the effect of Don't push your luck! whereupon I burst out laughing and said I knew, but you've got to try haven't you!

There was something wrong with it which involved it having to go back to Swift, but not until after we'd had our summer in it both here and in France. They also did another couple of things they'd noticed, none of which were part of the original job. Just excellent - AND because I'd had to drive the car behind the Moho in order to get back from there etc - they paid us mileage which we were absolutely not expecting. So in effect they paid us, for them doing a warranty claim.

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Bought our Benimar from Marquis Durham just before lockdown. We had great service, very happy with deal we got, they couldn't have been more helpful. We arranged for them to up plate as part of the deal and they rang me Monday to update situation following shutdown. Can't fault the service we've had.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back