Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Is it correct it’s not top grade oil ?

I always thought it was good grade but I may be wrong.

The other consideration is you may have a reasonable reserve but how easy is it to extract.

You could have 200 billion barrel reserve but if it’s not cost effective to extract you may as well have zero barrels.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
..... Supporting our OWN steel industry would be a first step! .....
The difficulty we have is that a procurement mindset is to source materials at the minimum cost so to do as you say would take a Governmental mindset change. This would, potentially, result in higher costs for major infrastructure projects. Would Joe Public agree to that as it would be paid for by their tax pounds?
You then could potentially get into issues around WTO as purchasing locally produced products at a higher cost could be viewed as illegal subsidies. You then get into a trade war war with other countries slapping tariffs on UK produced products making them uncompetitive.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ask yourself why that is?. China has one, if not the worst "human rights" records on the planet. the Chinese Government exploitation of their own people is appalling. their living standards are (except for the Party faithful) pretty dire. THAT is how they "Compete". (and by stealing the inventions of others) And yes I am aware that it could be applied to other parts of the world too.
Yep and we all are aware of that

But really they are doing now what Britain and other countries did just a few hundred years ago .....🤷‍♂️

No excuse but in their eyes they just think well you did it when it suited you and to get where you are now so they do the same

Britain had absolutely appalling working standards In factories , mills and mines

If I could afford to buy things that were more expensive to support better living etc I probably would as would most people......but due to an imbalance of wealth most of us cant.

All comes back to profit and multi millionaires again dont it 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ask yourself why that is?. China has one, if not the worst "human rights" records on the planet. the Chinese Government exploitation of their own people is appalling. their living standards are (except for the Party faithful) pretty dire. THAT is how they "Compete". (and by stealing the inventions of others) And yes I am aware that it could be applied to other parts of the world too.
Again, that brings us back to Joe Public stopping buying products at the cheapest price possible if they are concerned enough about human rights in the source market. Will we?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That simple version is incredible.

After the Express was bought by the Mirror Group there has been a discernible shift leftwards in its editorial policy. The Mail likewise has shifted towards a more liberal policy since Dacre was replaced as Editor. The Spectator is centrist. The Indy is left of centre. The BBC is now so openly woke and left wing it has given up the pretence of impartiality.

The simple version is a generalisation.

The complex version is far more accurate, which shows the BBC as being almost at the pinnacle of correct, unbiased, reporting, and the Daily Mail as far right wing new source bordering on propaganda (agreed it's better than it was, but it will take several years to get it into yellow square territory)

The British public, like all countries, goes from extreme left to extreme right over the course of a number of decades. We just happen to be in an right wing phase at the moment.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The other consideration is you may have a reasonable reserve but how easy is it to extract.

You could have 200 billion barrel reserve but if it’s not cost effective to extract you may as well have zero barrels.
Nope, the definition of a reserve is an economically exploitable quantity. If the oil price goes down the reserves go down too. Reserves of minerals fluctuate all the time. Look at the recent renewed interest in metal mining in Cornwall due to the price of lithium.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
I wonder when the meaning of liberal changed from
'willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas'

In view of that definition from the dictionary I wonder what an 'Extreme fanatical liberal' can possibly be apart from an oxymoron.
I think it changed because of Social Media when “liberals” jumped on their keyboards and a couple of people could drum up a raging crowd to scream and shout at what they thought was liberal behaviour....self Identifying transitioning men being aloud in ladies toilets say.....then when people dared to argue back they were labelled as fascists....because the liberals always think they are right and can’t stand anyone telling them they’re not....so THEY became illiberal....in a party political sense the likes of Jo Swinson didn’t help !

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Britain had absolutely appalling working standards In factories , mills and mines
I don't have a definitive answer so it's hypothetical questions.
How much of Britain's wealth in previous centuries was built on "The Empire".
How much of it was built on now totally frowned upon \ illegal practices? Just take a look at some of the buildings in Glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool, etc built by money made in the slave trade!
When Britain was the" workshop of the world" our practices were probably no better, or even worse, than exists within other countries today.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Quite clearly. That would be (at this time) impracticable. however Supporting our OWN steel industry would be a first step! NOT planning to sell it to the Chinese!. And yes I would advocate that even if it was seen as a form of "nationalisation". In War, and this IS IMV a "war". (just not as we know it Jim!) You protect your base assets, not give them to an enemy!.
We could all stop buying Chinese takeaways

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't have a definitive answer so it's hypothetical questions.
How much of Britain's wealth in previous centuries was built on "The Empire".
How much of it was built on now totally frowned upon \ illegal practices? Just take a look at some of the buildings in Glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool, etc built by money made in the slave trade!
When Britain was the" workshop of the world" our practices were probably no better, or even worse, than exists within other countries today.
Yep my point exactly

So it's now easy for folk to say "oh that's terrible " but they did it themselves

I find what goes around comes around , every action has a consequence and theres always 2 sides to a story.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think it changed because of Social Media when “liberals” jumped on their keyboards and a couple of people could drum up a raging crowd to scream and shout at what they thought was liberal behaviour....self Identifying transitioning men being aloud in ladies toilets say.....then when people dared to argue back they were labelled as fascists....because the liberals always think they are right and can’t stand anyone telling them they’re not....so THEY became illiberal....in a party political sense the likes of Jo Swinson didn’t help !
I've always found the opposite to be true

I've found that people who can't imagine anything outside their bubble or perception of being normal are the issue

Just because something is how you always remember it does not make it so.

Personally I don't see the problem with a transitioning man using a ladies toilet.

It's all cubicles ....what's the problem ?

The same way as how some still find same sex relationships or marriage to be wrong.

The difference is that one side allows people freedom

The other denies it 🤷‍♂️

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I've found that people who can't imagine anything outside their bubble or perception of being normal are the issue

Personally I don't see the problem with a transitioning man using a ladies toilet.

The same way as how some still find same sex relationships or marriage to be wrong.

The other denies it 🤷‍♂️
I'm with you there. If urinals were confined to the history books there is no reason that all toilets could not be unisex. Might save enough money to open a few in the Lake District. And the stupid arguments about the arrangement of an individual's groin area would go away.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I'm with you there. If urinals were confined to the history books there is no reason that all toilets could not be unisex. Might save enough money to open a few in the Lake District. And the stupid arguments about the arrangement of an individual's groin area would go away.
Have you seen how long it takes women to go to the toilet? Do you really want to wait in that queue? I’ll stick with going in for a quick pee wash hands and out thanks. None of this messing with hair, makeup, chatting. They also for some strange reason go in twos. What’s that all about?
So in view of all this no thanks I don’t want to share toilets.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Nope, the definition of a reserve is an economically exploitable quantity. If the oil price goes down the reserves go down too. Reserves of minerals fluctuate all the time. Look at the recent renewed interest in metal mining in Cornwall due to the price of lithium.

That may be how you look at it but it isn’t mine.

A reserve is quantifiable and doesn't increase or diminish with what a market is doing.

Of course it reduces if you start extracting it though 😊

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Tb was the one with multi jab then the injection that leaves a mark on arm
The multi jab was a test to see if you needed the jab. Some sort of antibody test I think. Mines swelled up and I never got the jab. I can still see the marks, must have been about 45 years ago.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I always thought it was good grade but I may be wrong.

Ah I think that is it good grade but very expensive to extract

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yes mine in Redruth start mining again for high tech needs

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Now there's a can of worms...

Why shouldn't flat earthers have due consideration? All "facts" are actually just our current understanding. After all, in 1975, wasn't it a fact that Jimmy Saville was a fine upstanding & cherished member of society?
And Rolf was terrific on his didgeridoo

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
After all, in 1975, wasn't it a fact that Jimmy Saville was a fine upstanding & cherished member of society?
Er no. It was about this time my OH had a temporary job in a hospital he frequented, and she was warned by the nurses to keep away from him.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
The multi jab was a test to see if you needed the jab. Some sort of antibody test I think. Mines swelled up and I never got the jab. I can still see the marks, must have been about 45 years ago.

Tuberculosis

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp

The other denies it 🤷‍♂️
They don’t deny it....they are just not allowed to voice their opinion without being hounded and vilified by the Twitterati brigade which makes the so called liberals who are happy for men to use women’s toilets And other things of course...as I said illiberal...so that’s when the concept of liberalism went wrong. The liberals became the illiberals and the illiberals became the liberals Because they wanted free speech without being bullied by a few people who achieve such a loud and unfairly unrepresentative voice because of social media. Going to have a lie down now 😥

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They don’t deny it....they are just not allowed to voice their opinion without being hounded and vilified by the Twitterati brigade which makes the so called liberals who are happy for men to use women’s toilets And other things of course...as I said illiberal...so that’s when the concept of liberalism went wrong. The liberals became the illiberals and the illiberals became the liberals Because they wanted free speech without being bullied by a few people who achieve such a loud and unfairly unrepresentative voice because of social media. Going to have a lie down now 😥
So you think racism , sexism , homophobia etc should go unchallenged?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
That would have been tricky as he flew there and Scotland doesn’t have an Air Force
Really, well that's a new one on me, we must borrow the ENGLISH air force from someone sometimes. I'd always thought it was called the RAF, shows how wrong we can be!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Really, well that's a new one on me, we must borrow the ENGLISH air force from someone sometimes. I'd always thought it was called the RAF, shows how wrong we can be!
That's that old scotland doesn't matter attitude being displayed i was on about earlier.

It's a lot more common than people think

Sport is a good one usually

When a scots athlete wins he's british but when he loses he's Scottish 😉

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
So you think racism , sexism , homophobia etc should go unchallenged?
Not at all..... But I think those who have a different opinion should be allowed to voice it without a barrage of abuse from the “liberals” who do it to try and silence the other opinion.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I did not say it would be EASY. However, if even some "effort" was made, and The "west" made efforts to bring at least some manufacturing back to "base" (in our case "Blighty"). We would reduce "Pollution Miles", for one, create some employment. And sent the message to China that we are serious. UK first step would be to put 5G on hold until we had an alternative source of Supply. However it is my view that even a vote of censure in the UN, whilst it would be no more than symbolic would be a first step.
Whilst thinking about this - perhaps we should be thinking of committing to holiday and spending in the UK and NOT go to foreign parts for say 12 months. It would be tough but a similar stance to those people who have committed not to fly in the next 12 months.

I love going to Europe but maybe I should exercise some restraint for the good of our economy just now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back