Musing on a C1 (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I’m considering a taking a C1. I understand the process (I think. Medical > provisional > theory test > hazard perception > appropriate tuition > C1 test) but I’m wondering how people found it, subjectively. Is it hard to un-remember all those bad habits we’ve picked up in the *cough* years since our driving tests. Do they demand all sorts of scary manoeuvres (without a reversing camera, I assume)

Basically, is it hard? I enjoy driving, and I am a fairly confident, if a little cautious, driver and have no problems on a daily basis. But as the C1 is an advanced test, I’m concerned whether I am able to drive at an advanced standard.

I’m considering it because I have found an ideal van, plated at 4250kg. I thought about having it downplated, but it’s on a heavy chassis, so it won’t have enough payload. I could hold out for one on a light chassis, but who knows when or where that will turn up. The one I have spotted has most of my desired of options on, so it would be quite a bit cheaper to do a C1 than it would be to retrofit them, and some of my wants aren’t retrofits (like the large garage doors both sides. And the coffee machine lift and bar cabinet. Stop laughing, I like coffee. And gin)

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I got my C1 on grandfather rights so don’t know how difficult it is BUT my wife is thinking of doing it as our MH is 5t And it would be handy if she could drive , keep us informed as I’m keen to know what you end up doing 😃

edit for BobtheBass - I think it’s about £1000 to do it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My advice would be to go somewhere that has its own fleet of vehicles. Many places are simple agents and will book you in where they can.
One of the RVOC (sister website) members has such a school (Google data academy) in the Midlands and will tell you after your first drive if you can do it and pass. Usually a 1 week block course with all aspects covered. He has an excellent pass record.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There is a good website on Google, how to get your c1 driving licence, . It's not just about driving a van you also have to drive a 7. 5 ton trailer type vehicle and know how to control it etc, coupling it up, uncoupling etc.
Bit different than a, mhome.

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
It is very similar to taking full hgv c test.. buy practice papers for theory as there is a lot of hgv questions on the paper. The hazard perception is unusual until you practice.

i found the driving ( I got full c) relatively easy. You are bound not to be using your mirrors enough which is a common fail.

most centres just use large van for c1 so size should not be an issue

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I’m considering a taking a C1. I understand the process (I think. Medical > provisional > theory test > hazard perception > appropriate tuition > C1 test) but I’m wondering how people found it, subjectively. Is it hard to un-remember all those bad habits we’ve picked up in the *cough* years since our driving tests. Do they demand all sorts of scary manoeuvres (without a reversing camera, I assume)

Basically, is it hard? I enjoy driving, and I am a fairly confident, if a little cautious, driver and have no problems on a daily basis. But as the C1 is an advanced test, I’m concerned whether I am able to drive at an advanced standard.

I’m considering it because I have found an ideal van, plated at 4250kg. I thought about having it downplated, but it’s on a heavy chassis, so it won’t have enough payload. I could hold out for one on a light chassis, but who knows when or where that will turn up. The one I have spotted has most of my desired of options on, so it would be quite a bit cheaper to do a C1 than it would be to retrofit them, and some of my wants aren’t retrofits (like the large garage doors both sides. And the coffee machine lift and bar cabinet. Stop laughing, I like coffee. And gin)

I found the C1 test easy. I took it with a company who uses a Van for the training/test so it was pretty much the same as driving my motorhome. My motorhome at the time was actually bigger than the van I took my test in :D
I took 1½ days training with the test on the afternoon of the second day, passed 1st time.

The full C test is a different kettle of fish altogether as you take it in a proper truck and if you are unlucky you will get a split shift box (although you can take it in an automatic these days).

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a good website on Google, how to get your c1 driving licence, . It's not just about driving a van you also have to drive a 7. 5 ton trailer type vehicle and know how to control it etc, coupling it up, uncoupling etc.
You don't have to drive a trailer or couple uncouple. That is for the +E test.
For car that is B+E
For 7.5T is is C1+E
For HGV is is C+E

The +E test is a separate test and can only be done once you have the relevant license. For example if you want to drive a 5T van with a 750KG trailer just take the C1. If you want to drive a 5T van with a 1.2T trailer then you take the C1 and when passed take the C1 + E.

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I have heard it’s not cheap to get, in the thousands maybe?

It seems to vary, depending on the tuition you need. I’ve seen in for as little as £500 and as much as £1400 It would still be cheaper than installing, say, hab aircon, and at least possible in theory, which installing the second large garage door wouldn’t be.

My advice would be to go somewhere that has its own fleet of vehicles. Many places are simple agents and will book you in where they can.
One of the RVOC (sister website) members has such a school (Google data academy) in the Midlands and will tell you after your first drive if you can do it and pass. Usually a 1 week block course with all aspects covered. He has an excellent pass record.

Good to know, thank you. They would be my most local option. The block might be an issue, with school pick ups but it looks like they have some flexibility.

I got my C1 on grandfather rights so don’t know how difficult it is BUT my wife is thinking of doing it as our MH is 5t And it would be handy if she could drive , keep us informed as I’m keen to know what you end up doing 😃

Will do. Feel free to nudge me, if I forget.

I’m finding it a bit of a minefield to get solid information on. Google brings up pages and pages of brokers who will quote and book for you. What I have sieved though doesn't mention trailer work (which I‘m not terrified of, having towed a caravan for years, but would prefer not to be tested on) I’m struggling to see why they would test on it, as a C1 only allows you to drive a 750kg trailer, and I’m already allowed to tow one one of those on my B.

It is very similar to taking full hgv c test.. buy practice papers for theory as there is a lot of hgv questions on the paper. The hazard perception is unusual until you practice.

i found the driving ( I got full c) relatively easy. You are bound not to be using your mirrors enough which is a common fail.

most centres just use large van for c1 so size should not be an issue

I dare say a bit of nagging by an instructor would do my driving good. I enjoy driving, even the MH, and I think I’m OK at it. Many moons ago when I did the first theory test, I borrowed a CD from from the library and just did the entire question bank. The theory doesnt worry me, that’s just swotting up.

I found the C1 test easy. I took it with a company who uses a Van for the training/test so it was pretty much the same as driving my motorhome. My motorhome at the time was actually bigger than the van I took my test in :D
I took 1½ days training with the test on the afternoon of the second day, passed 1st time.

The full C test is a different kettle of fish altogether as you take it in a proper truck and if you are unlucky you will get a split shift box (although you can take it in an automatic these days).

Thats encouraging, thank you. I shall proceed with Plan A. (Which is a C1. I have no wish to drive anything larger, thank you. Although I suppose it might open up some career options in a pinch!)

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
You don't have to drive a trailer or couple uncouple. That is for the +E test.
For car that is B+E
For 7.5T is is C1+E
For HGV is is C+E

The +E test is a separate test and can only be done once you have the relevant license. For example if you want to drive a 5T van with a 750KG trailer just take the C1. If you want to drive a 5T van with a 1.2T trailer then you take the C1 and when passed take the C1 + E.

Aha, that makes sense. Hurrah, no trailer reversing. I’m only looking for C1 so I can drive the 4250kg beastie. No towing. In two years I’ll be putting a scooter into the garage and in the meantime we’ll manage with an ebike, a clever kids bike linkage and buses (The buses are rather a pain, but there are compensations. They are mostly served with tonic)

PAGR

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2013
Camberley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
I took my C1 + E a few years ago and found it fairly easy. 2 hrs training on day one, one hour followed by the test on day 2. Took it in a 4t panel van with a box trailer behind.
Theory includes some HGV related questions and a higher pass mark but, as you say, easy if you swot. The hazard perception was nearly my downfall as I hadn't practiced and saw more potential hazards than they considered. Squeaked through though.
Glad I did it as it gives so much flexibility and, should I ever need it, a GTW of up to 12t.🙂

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Consider the full C test also. If you have a manual car licence you can do the test in an auto truck and get full entitlement for auto and manual.

I started C1 lessons in a small manual lorry but switched to a big auto lorry. I found it much easier when the gear changes were taken out of the equation. The lessons were a bit more expensive but I passed first time, as did my wife. That made it very good value.

I did have some bad habits to ‘unlearn’. I was a bit sloppy on roundabouts which is ok in a car but not in a lorry that’s taking the full lane. Other than that it was mostly just getting used to taking up so much more road and reading well ahead of you in terms of potential hazards etc.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I did the category C HGV about 6 years ago . The theory stuff I found straightforward enough , just swotting as Wellington says . The driving was also relatively easy , just need to think about space , low bridges and visibility ( blind spots ) and observation. The Haphazzard Perception test was designed for new learners and is a good tool for that purpose but for anyone with a few years driving experience it’s no good , you will see more than it expects you to so practice that a lot.
I took it in a manual lorry with a splitter gearbox , 4 over 4 ( you pushed it all the over to one side to swap boxes) then carried on with only 4 possible gears. Don’t worry , that’s nothing to do with C1 just me bragging😀

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Oh and if you should end up in a truck with airbrakes be Very very gentle with the pedal until you get used to it , they are very good especially with no load on. My instructor said “ Press it gently , it’ll be enough . If not press a little bit more “

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Consider the full C test also. If you have a manual car licence you can do the test in an auto truck and get full entitlement for auto and manual.

I started C1 lessons in a small manual lorry but switched to a big auto lorry. I found it much easier when the gear changes were taken out of the equation. The lessons were a bit more expensive but I passed first time, as did my wife. That made it very good value.

I did have some bad habits to ‘unlearn’. I was a bit sloppy on roundabouts which is ok in a car but not in a lorry that’s taking the full lane. Other than that it was mostly just getting used to taking up so much more road and reading well ahead of you in terms of potential hazards etc.
I have done both tests C1 and C. Although I failed the C due to circumstances. I would disagree with you here. The C1 taken in a van is in my opinion far easier than the C taken in a lorry even with autobox. If you don't need the C and can't see yourself ever needing it then why torture yourself?

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well as an ex LGV examiner the test is not a trial at all.
Mind you given the demand for drivers perhaps a short term change of career is called for, very short term!!
Someone mentioned an Eaton twin splitter, goodness cannot think of the last time one was presented for test, and yes you can take the test in an Auto.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I did the category C HGV about 6 years ago . The theory stuff I found straightforward enough , just swotting as Wellington says . The driving was also relatively easy , just need to think about space , low bridges and visibility ( blind spots ) and observation. The Haphazzard Perception test was designed for new learners and is a good tool for that purpose but for anyone with a few years driving experience it’s no good , you will see more than it expects you to so practice that a lot.
I took it in a manual lorry with a splitter gearbox , 4 over 4 ( you pushed it all the over to one side to swap boxes) then carried on with only 4 possible gears. Don’t worry , that’s nothing to do with C1 just me bragging😀
I agree about the Hazard test, It has no bearing on reality at all :doh:
I succeeded when i decided to forget what i knew concentrated on their script on what was and what was not a hazard.
Most experienced drivers fail for spotting a hazard outside the time period ie Too Soon, how the hell do you spot a hazard too soon?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I succeeded when i decided to forget what i knew concentrated on their script on what was and what was not a hazard.
Most experienced drivers fail for spotting a hazard outside the time period ie Too Soon, how the hell do you spot a hazard too soon?
Yup I failed 1st try on hazard test back in 2007 on my C1. I was spotting things that they didn't consider hazards and identifying others too soon.
Got the practice disk as I had no idea what I was doing wrong. Finally figured out, spot a hazard, count to 2 then click a few times. Ridiculous. May have some of the details wrong but I do have strong memories of how stupid that particular part of the test was.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
I have done both tests C1 and C. Although I failed the C due to circumstances. I would disagree with you here. The C1 taken in a van is in my opinion far easier than the C taken in a lorry even with autobox. If you don't need the C and can't see yourself ever needing it then why torture yourself?
Fair enough Gromett, I can only talk from my own experience. I had 2 lessons in a C1 truck, not a van, and I just couldn’t get on with it at all.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fair enough Gromett, I can only talk from my own experience. I had 2 lessons in a C1 truck, not a van, and I just couldn’t get on with it at all.
That's why in my earlier post I said this :)

I took it with a company who uses a Van for the training/test so it was pretty much the same as driving my motorhome. My motorhome at the time was actually bigger than the van I took my test in

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I passed my test 2001 had my car licence for about 14 years before taking my C1, enjoyed it so much took my Class 2, enjoyed that even more then took my Class 1. Just go for it its great fun if you enjoy driving big motors.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Now a very strange piece of information, none drivers upto the age of 16 achieved the highest score on the hazard perception test to the best of my memory, experienced drivers reacted long before the hazard became a dynamic developing risk!!!

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Shows your age Class 1 and 2 and HGV well really.

C1 - C - C=E and LGV.
Then of course
PCV not PSV
D1 - D and D+E

Do not get me started on operators licensing, we could be here for ever.

I would suggest if your going to pay for the training and test of course, take the C category training and test, very little difference and has a value of sorts. One of the things you may find valuable is mirror use and positioning, which in its self is a subject on its own and is good fun to learn and practice for life.

Do not be put off its great fun and a value to yourself, not only driving a larger vehicle but any vehicle.

Have fun

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
As I see it, it’s not about if you can drive it safely. More about if you can pass the test!.

Well, I was mostly thinking legally, but I‘m assuming there is at least some correlation. Safety does not concern me so much, because the vehicle I am planning to drive is only a little larger than the one I am currently driving. (And safer in so many ways than the car and caravan I was driving). The difference between a probably-slightly-overloaded 3.5t 6.8m motorhome and an underweight 4.25t 7.2m one is pretty darn marginal!

I took my C1 + E a few years ago and found it fairly easy. 2 hrs training on day one, one hour followed by the test on day 2. Took it in a 4t panel van with a box trailer behind.
Theory includes some HGV related questions and a higher pass mark but, as you say, easy if you swot. The hazard perception was nearly my downfall as I hadn't practiced and saw more potential hazards than they considered. Squeaked through though.
Glad I did it as it gives so much flexibility and, should I ever need it, a GTW of up to 12t.🙂

Thank you. The hazard test needing practice (to pass) seems to a common problem, so I’ll definitely give that one a go before hand. I can’t really see me ever needing a 12 tonne train weight (but then my 20 year old self didn’t really see me needing more than 3.5 tonnes when I put my driving test off until after Christmas in 1996!)

Thank you. I think I will keep things straightforward for the moment. I did think about doing the C, and I think it might be fun, but having found MH I want, being ambitious about the tests and possibly looking at an MH I can’t use taking up space on the driveway until a retest doesn’t appeal. Especially given possible delays with the current uncertainty and issues with childcare. I have spent years trying to futureproof and allow for all sorts of what ifs, only to be throughly blindsided, so my new motto is ‘deal with the now’ if I ever so get a firm handle on it, I will start looking ahead more!

Thank you, the haphazard test (🤣) really does seem to be coming out as an issue for experienced drivers. I‘ll stick to a regular gearbox if possible. I don’t generally have trouble with gears, but I just want to drive a very slightly heavier motorhome (with some toys on!) asap.

Oh and if you should end up in a truck with airbrakes be Very very gentle with the pedal until you get used to it , they are very good especially with no load on. My instructor said “ Press it gently , it’ll be enough . If not press a little bit more “

Noted, thank you.

Well as an ex LGV examiner the test is not a trial at all.
Mind you given the demand for drivers perhaps a short term change of career is called for, very short term!!
Someone mentioned an Eaton twin splitter, goodness cannot think of the last time one was presented for test, and yes you can take the test in an Auto.

Another string to the bow never hurts, does it, and with things as they are the moment, perhaps I have a future as an Amazon driver!

Too soon for the software, probably. It’s still in the ‘time period’ for the last one, and thinks you spotted it late. As with any other exam, it’s all about hitting their target mark scheme (I was a specialist neurological physiotherapist and the whole team had to sit some nation-wide ticky box training about looking after stroke patients. We all failed first time due to massively over thinking it. Even though we were literally the experts in stroke patient care!)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

I have the grandfather C1 rights but, I joined the ambulance service here in Scotland & had to go through the Police Roadcraft driving system which is pretty difficult but, I loved doing it & had plenty of re-evaluations & updates before I retired.
Its just a question of knuckling down & getting on with it.

I'd suggest driving to a test standard every time you drive & learn how to do a commentary drive, yes thats correct, a commentary drive, you'd find it totally enlightening. I should imagine that you can find out about commentary driving on tinternet.comthingy, perhaps YouTube?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

After recent eye surgery I asked about driving and the C1 and the specialist told me he had no idea what I was talking about but I passed the sight test for both Class 1 and Class 2 HGV vehicles!!!!!!!!! I think he was more than a little out of date :( so I booked a sight test elsewhere for confirmation. (and passed)

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I passed my test 2001 had my car licence for about 14 years before taking my C1, enjoyed it so much took my Class 2, enjoyed that even more then took my Class 1. Just go for it its great fun if you enjoy driving big motors.

that’s the plan. I’ll give them a ring in a bit.

Now a very strange piece of information, none drivers upto the age of 16 achieved the highest score on the hazard perception test to the best of my memory, experienced drivers reacted long before the hazard became a dynamic developing risk!!!

I’m not surprised at all.

C1 - C - C=E and LGV.
Then of course
PCV not PSV
D1 - D and D+E

Do not get me started on operators licensing, we could be here for ever.

I would suggest if your going to pay for the training and test of course, take the C category training and test, very little difference and has a value of sorts. One of the things you may find valuable is mirror use and positioning, which in its self is a subject on its own and is good fun to learn and practice for life.

Do not be put off its great fun and a value to yourself, not only driving a larger vehicle but any vehicle.

Have fun

The whole letters-and-numbers business is a big part of getting a grip on what you need to do. No wonder so many people are daunted! I think I will stick to the C1, for efficiency. Childcare is an issue at present with my daughter not in school, so retesting might’ve been an issue.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond with your experiences. I‘m confident I can give a fair go and have as good a chance as anyone of passing. It was very useful to people‘s insights.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994

Many people don't know the meaning of hgv changed years ago

How about 'A' licences 🤣

I find it funny that people need a test to drive a van that could physically be smaller than the a class they spend 6 months driving, especially when that van has the same brakes,engine,etc as the a class

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back