Fiat x250 handbrake light not comming on. (1 Viewer)

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2019, a bit before lockdown!
I have found that the handbrake light is not comming on when operated on my 2019 fiat 250.
As it stopped working after the dealers had the drivers seat out to deal with another problem, I thought it may be a simple wire off on the handbrake switch but it is attached. What doesn't look correct is the switch itself. It looks a bit as though the switch is not all there! I have also put a meter across the terminal to earth (only one wire goes to the switch ) and it is not connecting at all. I'm sure the switch is broken and some of it is missing, including the contacts that break when the handbrake is operated.
My question is, should the switch look like this?

P.s. the handbrake light works on the dashboard when ignition is on but not after starting so the lamp is ok.
20200531_140717.jpg
20200531_140717.jpg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you connect the wire direct to any bit of the metal does the light then work?

it only shorts it to earth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Looks like the casing has come off and also pulled the wire off the clip. Just push it back on, it should be under the blue/black cover in the photo hanging over the thicker red cable.

OP
OP
Rivermount

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi
Thanks for the responses.
I pulled the wire off to test across the switch. I then operated the switch repeatedly with the multimeter attached to find the switch is not working.

Simple switch but there seems to be plastic of the spring push button between the metal of the terminal (pointing down in the picture) and the earthed part that is bolted the the bodywork. No other contacts, coupled with the skeleton nature of the switch suggested to me that the switch has been broken as there is a lack of insulation and possibly other parts missing.

I tried googling ,fiat handbrake light switch just to see if I could find out what it should look like but it is probably called something else so Google not much help.
Just wondered if anyone knew what the switch should look like?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
^The switch in the OP's appears to be stuck down as the metal of the blade the wire pushes on should be touching when the handbrake is on & it isn't.

OP
OP
Rivermount

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for the views, looks just like mine except yours looks like you have metal to metal contact when the brake is released! Mine doesn't.
I have also just connected the wire to earth and can turn the light on and off ok.
The switch is, typically for motor trade, a bit basic. I will see if I can make it work or replace if necessary.

Thanks to all for the help.
Keep wel, Bobl

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i dont think that one has a switch as such when the handbrake touches the top of the white piece it earths the wire to it and the canbus picks it up as a signal and turns the light on as some one said try earthing the wire to see if it light s the light

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The switch looks like it has been bent slightly and it needs the metal tab to make a good earth on the switch when the hand brake tab moves away from it.
A simple test by putting the wire connector straight to the mounting bracket that holds the switch should illuminate the lamp then try again connected to the switch and again it should light up.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
New switch was about Ā£12 five years ago
Looks like yours has got a bit bent if so the nylon cap can stick
Just the one screw holds it in place

OP
OP
Rivermount

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The white bit that contacts the handbrake is made of plastic but it is the plastic, where it is attached to the blade, that is stopping the blade from contacting the earth on the mount. It might be because it is bent but I'll take the switch out and sort it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. Bob.

OP
OP
Rivermount

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks to all, especially Landy Andy for the pictures.
Took the switch out and carefully bent the metal spade straight. I could then stop the plastic of the actuator from insulating the earth contact. In short It now works ok.
I guess the dealers boys bent the switch, taking the seat apart when they were doing some other work. The switch is a very basic design.

Just nice to have it working again.
Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back