Pigeon pest problem! (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
A number of pigeons are causing a problem and if it wasn't for "erindoors " I would shoot the pests. Has anyone any ideas on how to sort

this problem ?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Tell her you're killing mice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Tell her they are squirrels and they get into the loft and chew the wiring.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
A number of pigeons are causing a problem and if it wasn't for "erindoors " I would shoot the pests. Has anyone any ideas on how to sort

this problem ?
This is what I use at the farm where we run our FT club, the farmer is happy with my results.
6C9DE2B6-063A-4159-B1A1-3DCAE2C1DC47.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Could lend you Charlie for a modest fee?
Very entertaining last summer watching Mrs CC chasing him around the garden trying to get the pigeon that he had caught off him ??
Bloody garden is full of them and they crap all over the patio:mad::mad:

5E447C1B-B15C-4506-936E-49C44464F238.jpeg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
from tinternet
How to get rid of Pigeons....
The following story is true…as far as I was told. You see I wasn’t around for this little Jacobs family adventure, it happened before I was born; in a different house in a far away city…or so all good stories should begin.
It turns out in those early days of my family, the pre-me days, my parents had a bit of a problem with pigeons. The pigeons who hung out around my parents’ house had developed a taste for the dog food my dad used for the family canine. The pigeons would wait on the telephone wire above the backyard…and wait…and wait…until the dog was fed and the humans became scarce. Then they would converge on the backyard and wait for the dog to leave her food long enough to snatch a bite.
Now if it were 5 or 6 pigeons that would be fine. However, news must have traveled fast in the pigeon world because that telephone line would be sagging under the weight of 80-100 pigeons daily. And where you have a copious amount of pigeons, you have a copious amount of….droppings. The backyard got a fresh coat of “white wash” daily.
My dad and older brother took it upon themselves to unleash the fury of a pellet gun on the unwelcomed guests. But for every 10 they killed 15 would show up the next day to take their places. What to do, what to do.
It so happened that one particular day my dad was switching radio stations when he caught the tail end of an interview about how to get rid of unwanted fowl. He listened intently. The end of the instructions informed the listeners to soak a bucket of dried corn in alcohol until all the liquid was gone and then distribute around where the nuisance was. The birds eat the corn, fly off and don’t come back. The plan was simple. It was a godsend. It was doable. It was slightly misunderstood!!! You see where the instructions called for rubbing alcohol to be used to kill the birds, my dad, having only heard the last part of the interview, thought a little Jack Daniels was in order. Yes, my dad was going to use drinking alcohol to get rid of the pigeons.
He bought the corn and headed to the liquor store to buy the cheapest rot-gut whiskey he could get his hands on (think one part anti-freeze 2 parts pig swill). Being Mormon, no one in my family drinks, so dumping liquor on corn was no big deal. According to the alcoholic neighbor who lived next door to my parents at the time, it was a horrible waste.
The corn was soaked and ready to be dispersed. My dad went out to feed the dog, being watched by scores of drooling pigeons. But that day was different, instead of dodging bird droppings while trying to feed the dog, my dad gleefully tossed liquor soaked corn onto the ground with reckless abandon. I don’t know if birds are suspicious, but you would think they would question the motives of a man who had been trying to kill them all this time freely handing out food. They didn’t seem too concerned, as I was told. They ate with gusto.
Then the fun started. My family watched, hoping the birds would fly off to forgetfulness and never return. Instead they had a front row seat to a flock of inebriated birds just trying to function. The pigeons started to stagger like a DUI suspect trying to walk a straight line. They couldn’t seem to keep their balance and keep upright. A few who tried to fly did so with no great success. One tried to land on top of the fence but missed and hit the ground just beyond it. A second bird tried to find shelter from a spinning world by flying up and roosting in my parents avocado tree. Instead, the unlucky fowl flew straight up the trunk of the tree and never made it out. An explosion of feathers and leaves shot out the top of the tree, the fate of the bird was never quite determined.
A third pigeon made it over the fence, over the tree but seemed to grow exhausted from the effort and simply glided straight down and into the open doors of a liquor store. It flew head first into a candy rack. The last thing to cross the poor bird’s mind was probably a pack of m&m’s. The remaining problem pests tripped, staggered and flopped their way into wobbly flight off to their various nests….or AA meetings. And soon the backyard was empty of unwanted birds.
My dad, when he finally stopped laughing, realized that he might have been mistaken in what kind of alcohol to use. He was hoping to kill off the vermin, but instead gave them their very first hangover. The funny thing about this whole mix up? Not one pigeon came back to bother them again.

Ps i have done sumthing like this to good affect
bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Various deterrants:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OMG Wildbill ... I am in stitches ... my eyes are streaming with tears of laughter, my chest hurts from giggling so much ... thank you for posting that ... I really needed cheering up and it's done that wonderfully! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
from tinternet
How to get rid of Pigeons....
The following story is true…as far as I was told. You see I wasn’t around for this little Jacobs family adventure, it happened before I was born; in a different house in a far away city…or so all good stories should begin.
It turns out in those early days of my family, the pre-me days, my parents had a bit of a problem with pigeons. The pigeons who hung out around my parents’ house had developed a taste for the dog food my dad used for the family canine. The pigeons would wait on the telephone wire above the backyard…and wait…and wait…until the dog was fed and the humans became scarce. Then they would converge on the backyard and wait for the dog to leave her food long enough to snatch a bite.
Now if it were 5 or 6 pigeons that would be fine. However, news must have traveled fast in the pigeon world because that telephone line would be sagging under the weight of 80-100 pigeons daily. And where you have a copious amount of pigeons, you have a copious amount of….droppings. The backyard got a fresh coat of “white wash” daily.
My dad and older brother took it upon themselves to unleash the fury of a pellet gun on the unwelcomed guests. But for every 10 they killed 15 would show up the next day to take their places. What to do, what to do.
It so happened that one particular day my dad was switching radio stations when he caught the tail end of an interview about how to get rid of unwanted fowl. He listened intently. The end of the instructions informed the listeners to soak a bucket of dried corn in alcohol until all the liquid was gone and then distribute around where the nuisance was. The birds eat the corn, fly off and don’t come back. The plan was simple. It was a godsend. It was doable. It was slightly misunderstood!!! You see where the instructions called for rubbing alcohol to be used to kill the birds, my dad, having only heard the last part of the interview, thought a little Jack Daniels was in order. Yes, my dad was going to use drinking alcohol to get rid of the pigeons.
He bought the corn and headed to the liquor store to buy the cheapest rot-gut whiskey he could get his hands on (think one part anti-freeze 2 parts pig swill). Being Mormon, no one in my family drinks, so dumping liquor on corn was no big deal. According to the alcoholic neighbor who lived next door to my parents at the time, it was a horrible waste.
The corn was soaked and ready to be dispersed. My dad went out to feed the dog, being watched by scores of drooling pigeons. But that day was different, instead of dodging bird droppings while trying to feed the dog, my dad gleefully tossed liquor soaked corn onto the ground with reckless abandon. I don’t know if birds are suspicious, but you would think they would question the motives of a man who had been trying to kill them all this time freely handing out food. They didn’t seem too concerned, as I was told. They ate with gusto.
Then the fun started. My family watched, hoping the birds would fly off to forgetfulness and never return. Instead they had a front row seat to a flock of inebriated birds just trying to function. The pigeons started to stagger like a DUI suspect trying to walk a straight line. They couldn’t seem to keep their balance and keep upright. A few who tried to fly did so with no great success. One tried to land on top of the fence but missed and hit the ground just beyond it. A second bird tried to find shelter from a spinning world by flying up and roosting in my parents avocado tree. Instead, the unlucky fowl flew straight up the trunk of the tree and never made it out. An explosion of feathers and leaves shot out the top of the tree, the fate of the bird was never quite determined.
A third pigeon made it over the fence, over the tree but seemed to grow exhausted from the effort and simply glided straight down and into the open doors of a liquor store. It flew head first into a candy rack. The last thing to cross the poor bird’s mind was probably a pack of m&m’s. The remaining problem pests tripped, staggered and flopped their way into wobbly flight off to their various nests….or AA meetings. And soon the backyard was empty of unwanted birds.
My dad, when he finally stopped laughing, realized that he might have been mistaken in what kind of alcohol to use. He was hoping to kill off the vermin, but instead gave them their very first hangover. The funny thing about this whole mix up? Not one pigeon came back to bother them again.

Ps i have done sumthing like this to good affect
bill
Interesting story Bill..(let me know how you got on with them).something to concider.Dont want to harm/put off the other small birds though...

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Interesting story Bill..(let me know how you got on with them).something to concider.Dont want to harm/put off the other small birds though...
that is sumthing from the internet but i have done it with cheep whisky and it dose work thaiy just end up roiling around the garden then you just pick them up in to a bag and dispatch
bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Going by Bill's story the small birds will be falling over with laughter at the pigeons!

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
A number of pigeons are causing a problem and if it wasn't for "erindoors " I would shoot the pests. Has anyone any ideas on how to sort this problem ?
Are you sure they are pigeons ?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
that is sumthing from the internet but i have done it with cheep whisky and it dose work thaiy just end up roiling around the garden then you just pick them up in to a bag and dispatch
bill
[/QUOTE
Yes poachers do it for pheasants and partridges as well, walk across the fields scattering soaked corn and on the return pick up the incapacitated birds.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son had a big issue with seagulls on his balcony. He used to tuck Alka Seltzers (I think) inside lumps of bread. Apparently they effervesce and blow up the birds. Anyway, he said it solved the problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My son had a big issue with seagulls on his balcony. He used to tuck Alka Seltzers (I think) inside lumps of bread. Apparently they effervesce and blow up the birds. Anyway, he said it solved the problem.
Whilst I don't like 'pests' that seems extremely cruel! :oops:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Here's what I use to stop 'em crapping on the paintwork:
spiky.JPG

hawk.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.