Layout importance (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2020
Basse Normandie France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having been let off the leash with the end of our lockdown we decided to venture out and look at some motorhomes.

Nearly all the motorhomes we looked at were fab, but......

when we applied some of the advice on here we soon realised some were better than others and what the importance of the layout actually means.

central bed, so you dont have to climb over each other in the night when you go to the loo, size of the loo, size of the shower, how much prep room you have to cook, can you get by each other easily , where is the fridge in relation to the prep area etc,

we still have no idea what MH we want, but we do know what we dont want and thats half the battle

I never dreamed that there were so many different motorhomes out there at so many different prices

we did have fun though :giggle:

on with the search

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
By Central bed I take it you mean island problem with those is it reduces the garage space make a lot of vans difficult or impossible to get bikes in.
Kitchen prep area not that important as you can always use the table.
We find twin single beds gives the best bed access and a big garage.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
By Central bed I take it you mean island problem with those is it reduces the garage space make a lot of vans difficult or impossible to get bikes in.

To hell with the bikes if it means no cuddling & spooning ?

Just hire bikes when you get there....

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
All I can say is we bought our first MH in February this year, but we first looked at options after we rented a MH is 2000 (swmbo has always been one for snap decisions)
In about 2003 we made the decision on the perfect layout after visiting numbers dealers and shows.
In 2015 we again visited a number of dealers and shows and again choice the same MH
This year we bought the exact same MH from the exact same manufacturer on the exact same chassis with the exact same layout as we first choice back in 2003 and although we have only used it a little due to lock down, its exactly what we wanted.

There no point in listening to any ones else point of view, their all perfectly correct, but they are all very personal and the only thing to bear in mind is what you want.

I'm not going to waste your time telling you what we bought, but believe me when you go to a show or a dealer ask the salesman to step outside and spend as long as you like imaging yourselves in the space and if you can rent one for a week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before you look at layout think how you are gonna use it, what hobbies you have and which bits of kit you'll need to take with you to carry them out. That way when you do get down to layouts that might suit you can ensure you don't forget to accommodate your bits and bobs ... we've seen MHs and campers in the past which looked lovely but once we started to go through them thinking where we'd put this and that it became clear they wouldn't work for us.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
the Finnish Vantastic couple have quite a few Interesting videos, they have lived in a MoHo full time for a few years They have a couple about their van including this one Whilst their choice may not be yours they are clear about why they brought it.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Thinking about how and when you're going too use it is important.
We bought ours (Swift Firebrand like a Swift 590) with full timing in mind so we needed it to be comfortable to sit in, maybe for long periods if the weather was bad. We also wanted a usable loo and shower and usable kitchen space, cooker etc.
We full timed for 3 years and were comfortable and cosy all that time.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Keep in mind that your first won't be your ideal. I know of very few people who made all the right decisions about their first motorhome. Minor niggles that you think are unimportant if all the other boxes are ticked soon become major irritations once you're using it.

Upvote 0

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
The chances of getting it spot on first time are minimal, but don't worry, just dive in with both feet and you will soon discover what is important to you for the type of motor homing you want to do. Most importantly experience the freedom and have fun,

The Tincas

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Keep in mind that your first won't be your ideal. I know of very few people who made all the right decisions about their first motorhome. Minor niggles that you think are unimportant if all the other boxes are ticked soon become major irritations once you're using it.
I'd agree with this wholeheartedly, I'd done a lot of research before we parted with any money and our major factor in purchase was that it would be a van conversion and had to be 5.4m to fit on the drive. We decided (I decided) that a front lounge which converted into a bed would be perfect for our needs as 2 adults and 2 dogs, and it was the first couple of times we went out, but those niggles started and got progressively worse.

I'm the one who gets up to go to the loo at night, except Mark was between me and the edge of the bed, so he had to wake up as well, we had to get the dogs onto the bed, move the dog beds out of the gangway so I could go to the loo and then reverse it coming back again. If one wanted to go to bed and the other didn't the one in bed had the light shining in their eyes.

3 months later we traded it in for the one we have now, same length and a van conversion, slightly smaller bathroom - but we spend least time there so it doesn't matter, no oven in the kitchen, small double fixed bed at the rear (I'm on the edge this time), small dinette where the dogs travel with harnesses on the dinette seat clipped to the seat belts, masses of storage under the bed - you won't get everything you want but you have to be able to live with the compromises.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
you are unlikely to get it just right the first time, so that is why its better to buy a pre loved (as opposed to second hand) motorhome that has your initial perfect layout in my opinion. but dont be despondent if you dont get it right first time,

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Not all island bed layouts have that problem.

Recently we were very interested in an island bed model that indeed had that problem, but that was because the owner had gone for the low bed option ex-factory, but there was a high-bed option at the time. So we will be looking for that.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not all island bed layouts have that problem.

Recently we were very interested in an island bed model that indeed had that problem, but that was because the owner had gone for the low bed option ex-factory, but there was a high-bed option at the time. So we will be looking for that.

Geoff
Generally not a problem in larger vans, my mate has a 7.9m Carthago E Line no problem with the garage. It tends to be a problem in smaller vans 7.5m and below.

Upvote 0
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Very personal choice imo how you use i. My biggies were bed up all the time and one long enough for me, also van conversion rather than coachbuilt. We took it from there and found a globecar campscout that fitted the bill can live with smaller living area as we dont tend to spend hours in the van.
I also see the benifits of of larger living areas but as i said its what works for you.
Good luck with the search. ?

Upvote 0

Tonks68

Free Member
Mar 28, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Hopefully one day
Exp
I’m a newbie
I’m similarly confused about what layout I will want. One minute I’m praising the smaller 6m vans. Happy to make up my bed for the flexibility and ease of travelling and parking. Then the next day I’m wanting a smallish van ‘but’ with a fixed bed. I go to the NEC twice a year and still haven’t made up our minds. Hiring must be the way forward.

Upvote 0

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Hi Ebbo
We bought one in Feb this year.
If I was you I would think about the size of MH
It goes with out saying the bigger ones have more room.
You have to feel comfortable driving it and your partner all so.
And then where you intent to visit a lot of sites have a maximum size of pitch.
And some don't allow twin axels on there site.
If you intend to wild camp size is not that much of a issue.
But in really you know how you live.
Cooking, bathing, interests, places to visit and kids or dogs not all in this order?
My kids are grown up so made provisions for both to have a bed if they want to come with us? You may be lucky and have grandkids then there is a safety issue falling out of bed.
If you are out walking and it rains your both wet where do you put the damp coats in the van? so you may think I want a garage from the generator if wild camping and outside seats and table.
Then do I want to sit in the sun (I don't) size of an awning bolted to the van or a gazebo.
It's been said before ask the salesperson to leave you with it. Take your boots of get in the bed both of you.
Do you want fixed beds (yes cos am lazy) or do you want to make it up with all the cushions would it be comfortable for you.
We visited about five dealers looking at would it work for us.
As said have pros and cons list make sure it's for you.
?good luck

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Once the salesman has left you alone, try it out as if you were using it:
Sit on the toilet - can you still close the door without bashing your knees
Set the shower up with you inside - can you actually move your body to wash, what happens if you drop the soap? Some showers have curtains and others have screens of plastic, are they easy to set up?
What's the space in the kitchen like? Do you need to use the table as well? Will this be convenient if more than just the 2 of you?
Are the seats comfortable in the seating area? Can you put your feet up when sitting (if you want to)?

You may not get a yes to everything, so could you live with the things that may not be quite as you would prefer them?

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Once you get close to what you think is right for you try and hire/borrow a similar one for a few days. We'd done quite a bit of research, hired and found something not acceptable, corrected our choice and hired again (the exact model fortunately). Within 3 days we knew we'd got it right.
Eleven years, over 1000 away nights and 115,000 miles later there's still nothing on the market that would suit us better.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Once the salesman has left you alone, try it out as if you were using it:
Sit on the toilet - can you still close the door without bashing your knees
Set the shower up with you inside - can you actually move your body to wash, what happens if you drop the soap? Some showers have curtains and others have screens of plastic, are they easy to set up?
What's the space in the kitchen like? Do you need to use the table as well? Will this be convenient if more than just the 2 of you?
Are the seats comfortable in the seating area? Can you put your feet up when sitting (if you want to)?

You may not get a yes to everything, so could you live with the things that may not be quite as you would prefer them?

We have got a yes to all the above. We do use the table for extra prep area for the galley but it is right opposite and runs the full length of the long sofa. We can sit 7 for dinner, with captains chairs swivelled and table extensions.

This is all within 7m including large garage and fixed and drop-down beds, both king-size.

We do not have separate toilet and shower(with curtain) but there is plenty of space and I personally think seperate compartments are a waste of space for a few minutes a day use and reduce the galley/living area, without going for a 8-8.5m MH.

If you want to know how they design it ask Niesmann&Bischoff.

Geoff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back