What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I didn't fix much but a wonderful funster helped sort various problems out that a garage had totally knackered up.

Plus fixed the little knobbly bit that holds the habitation door open.
Plus, replaced some lights with lsd lights
Plus fitted new solenoid (that garage damaged).
Plus fitted solar panel.
Plus..... ooooh loadsa things... Plus his wife made most delicious meal.. Yum. Yum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Was that just cleaning or did you paint it, if so what with please ?
Looking very good (y)
It was using vehicle bodywork rubbing paper. From 120 grade filler paper to 400 grade primer rubbing paper.
Please note, I will not be held responsible if you use my method. It worked for me, good luck.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I didn't fix much but a wonderful funster helped sort various problems out that a garage had totally knackered up.

Plus fitted solar panel.
Plus..... ooooh loadsa things... Plus his wife made most delicious meal.. Yum. Yum.
Where can I buy the lsd lights Joy? ? .Sounds like fun! ?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Nowt exciting, cleaned up some locker handles that had seen better days. And adjusted and replaced dodgy screws in a couple of locker door hinges.
View attachment 365392
Did you use the cleaner “Elbow Grease” or muscle?
After a lot of elbow grease with wet and dry, followed by some UV laquer.
View attachment 365393

Happy though as been bugging me for a while and thought would have to replace them.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp

Plus fitted solar panel.

Can you name and shame him with his address so we can all call to get our little jobs done with a meal thrown in? ?

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Great job must do mine?
Just plain muscle power. Started with some 1500 wet and dry with soap and water but was taking way too long. (Just what grade I had lying about)

Probably better with something like 320-400 and going finer once you get the worst off.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
bugger all im ill confined to barracks

Timcowen

Free Member
Dec 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Sailer 748since
Exp
Since 2017
Well, I thought I has successfully installed reversing sensors about a week ago, but now I'm beginning to wonder just how successful I was.
Basically, wired everything up and they worked. Went to start the MH today. Starter battery completely flat. Cant work it out. The only thing different are the reversing sensors and wiring. I connected the red (live) to a spare space on the reversing light positive. I then connected the red and black, presumably neg/earth to a wire connected to the negatives for the whole array of back lights. My thinking is that there won't be any power supply to these wires unless the ignition is on and for the sensors, reverse is selected!!!!! So could this be the problem? Should the earth have been connected literally to the chassis? I don't know.
Any suggestions? If indeed it's my wiring that's at fault. Hopefully you can see my wiring in attached photo.

Attachments

• 20200323_144435.jpg
    20200323_144435.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 66

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Fixed my satellite for dual TV reception .......
Well not really, when in France for the 1st time tried both tvs on at the same time and found that one of them had such poor reception it wasn't worth trying to watch anything. Although each tv on its own worked perfectly.
German dealer hadn't seen this issue before but agreed to ship me a replacement unit under warranty on my return.
It duly arrived today, so as normal, prior to disconnecting anything tested to ensure I knew what was working and what wasn't.
You guessed it, both tvs work perfectly either watching the same channel or different channels :rolleyes:
I can only assume at first test in France I was on the edge of the footprint and that caused the original issue?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Bought a Chinese diesel heater last week as our whale blown air heating system is woefully inadequate.

I have now fitted it with a few modifications along the way.
The heater unit is mounted under our van on a "L" bracket which is bolted to the rear nearside chassis extension with anti vibration rubber rivnuts.
As it is mounted externally, I have fitted a foam air filter to stop dust and bugs being sucked through the fan unit into the van.

111.jpg

112.jpg

I have made an adaptor for the burner air inlet from copper pipe fittings to step it up from 24mm to 38mm so the burner can get as much air as it needs for a clean burn and have fitted a foam air filter again to stop dust and bugs being sucked in.

113.jpg

To cut down the clicking noise from the fuel pump, I have hung the fuel pump from cable ties which are in turn tied around a piece of foam insulation.

114.jpg

As there was nowhere to practically put the fuel tank that came with the kit, I used a plastic 10 litre jerry can and made a bracket to mount it under the rear of the van on the offside chassis extension and fitted a marine type fuel filler in the rear panel of the van. I also fitted a sight tube so I could see what the fuel level in the tank is.

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

To get the lovely warm air from the heater into the van to heat both the hab area and the bathroom, I bought the ducting up through the van floor by the shower as this bit of wall backs onto the hab area.
I made a plenum chamber from 6mm ply to go over the ducting coming up through the floor so I could mount an outlet vent in the bathroom and drill through the wall from the hab area to mount an outlet vent to the hab area.

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

The control panel for the heater was then mounted on the wall above the telly along with an on/off switch.

124.jpg

I tested it by giving it a good run it for nearly 7 hours to make sure all was good and to burn off any of the newness smells, and I have to say it is a brilliant bit of kit and the fuel consumption is minimal, so it will take over as our primary source of heating which will make our gas last longer.
To make it even cheaper to run, I will be running it on red diesel.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Bought a Chinese diesel heater last week as our whale blown air heating system is woefully inadequate.

I have now fitted it with a few modifications along the way.
The heater unit is mounted under our van on a "L" bracket which is bolted to the rear nearside chassis extension with anti vibration rubber rivnuts.
As it is mounted externally, I have fitted a foam air filter to stop dust and bugs being sucked through the fan unit into the van.

View attachment 372584

View attachment 372585

I have made an adaptor for the burner air inlet from copper pipe fittings to step it up from 24mm to 38mm so the burner can get as much air as it needs for a clean burn and have fitted a foam air filter again to stop dust and bugs being sucked in.

View attachment 372586

To cut down the clicking noise from the fuel pump, I have hung the fuel pump from cable ties which are in turn tied around a piece of foam insulation.

View attachment 372588

As there was nowhere to practically put the fuel tank that came with the kit, I used a plastic 10 litre jerry can and made a bracket to mount it under the rear of the van on the offside chassis extension and fitted a marine type fuel filler in the rear panel of the van. I also fitted a sight tube so I could see what the fuel level in the tank is.

View attachment 372589

View attachment 372590

View attachment 372591

View attachment 372592

To get the lovely warm air from the heater into the van to heat both the hab area and the bathroom, I bought the ducting up through the van floor by the shower as this bit of wall backs onto the hab area.
I made a plenum chamber from 6mm ply to go over the ducting coming up through the floor so I could mount an outlet vent in the bathroom and drill through the wall from the hab area to mount an outlet vent to the hab area.

View attachment 372594

View attachment 372595

View attachment 372596

View attachment 372572

View attachment 372573

The control panel for the heater was then mounted on the wall above the telly along with an on/off switch.

View attachment 372574

I tested it by giving it a good run it for nearly 7 hours to make sure all was good and to burn off any of the newness smells, and I have to say it is a brilliant bit of kit and the fuel consumption is minimal, so it will take over as our primary source of heating which will make our gas last longer.
To make it even cheaper to run, I will be running it on red diesel.
impressive well done

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well, I thought I has successfully installed reversing sensors about a week ago, but now I'm beginning to wonder just how successful I was.
Basically, wired everything up and they worked. Went to start the MH today. Starter battery completely flat. Cant work it out. The only thing different are the reversing sensors and wiring. I connected the red (live) to a spare space on the reversing light positive. I then connected the red and black, presumably neg/earth to a wire connected to the negatives for the whole array of back lights. My thinking is that there won't be any power supply to these wires unless the ignition is on and for the sensors, reverse is selected!!!!! So could this be the problem? Should the earth have been connected literally to the chassis? I don't know.
Any suggestions? If indeed it's my wiring that's at fault. Hopefully you can see my wiring in attached photo.
What you have done is correct. Nothing you have done will cause a power drain.

Timcowen

Free Member
Dec 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Sailer 748since
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you for that welcome reassurance.
Still losing a bit, so will embark on setting up the meter and going through the fuses one by one. Guess they just don't like sitting around.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Nothing :-( Cos old van sold to dealer and can’t pick up new one as closed :-( Van sitting at the dealership double :-(

what would happen IF the dealer went bust befor delivary/collection ? if the old one now belongs to the dealer would that go into administration, is the new one registered to you if not would that go into administration too . I dont want to frighten you but $h1t happens at time like this

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
The blind on our Thule extractor vent in the kitchen area
IMG_20200322_151722.jpg
stopped retracting fully. On examination some water ingress had caused the layers to separate.

Managed to source a replacement, and fitted it.

Now got to tackle the blind in the bathroom, which is also not retracting properly!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
what would happen IF the dealer went bust befor delivary/collection ? if the old one now belongs to the dealer would that go into administration, is the new one registered to you if not would that go into administration too . I dont want to frighten you but $h1t happens at time like this
Don’t worry very little for the old one so not worried. Glad it’s gone actually .

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Nothing! Occasionally looking on CCtv at where it was before we sold it! Hey oh

Kev:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun