LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thought about doing ours, but if the isolation gets a bit much, we could maybe use the van to pop out to the new forest or the beach for fresh air and lunch outside the four walls of our prison (home)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thinking of a sorn for the motorhome ved due next month what do others think
Just do it, doesn't cost anything and if you need to use your van just retax it. If you do it now it you won't lose anything, as its almost month end, if you need it in late April, just retax it, do it on a monthly direct debit. So no refunds etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I always SORN ours in October or November and re tax it in March or April, dependant on the weather. This year I will wait to see how things pan out. Refurbishing a bungalow at moment ready to downsize to, so plenty of things to be getting on with if we can’t use the van. Was about to put our house on market any time soon, but can’t see much happening on that front for some time now.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Seriously thinking about doing it. But also thinking that being in SI I might need a day/night at the coast. Just to keep sane, take all our own stuff and still be isolated. Keep the oil around the engine and bearings and tyres won’t get flat spots. So 50/50 at the moment I will make a decision just before the end of the month so as not to waste tax for a couple of weeks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ours is SORNed from about October to April. Love that cheque coming. Robbing b@5+@rds! ?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Would never dream of sorning (is that even a word) think damage caused by non use of Motor home way exceeds road tax. Our van gets a run every week or two even if it only to Tescos for weekly shop. Vehicles are not designed to sit on driveways or compounds for extensive periods. Xxxx

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Amazes me the lengths people go to save a couple of quid.
Look on the bright side though if you did it here,which you can, you save nothing as tax is yearly from January 1st+you pay to actually do it,lol and the instant you do it your mot is nullified.lol
To "unsorn" it you first have to mot it and that legally means a transporter to the mot station as it cannot be driven ,once passed you can pay to unsorn it.lol

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Would never dream of sorning (is that even a word) think damage caused by non use of Motor home way exceeds road tax. Our van gets a run every week or two even if it only to Tescos for weekly shop. Vehicles are not designed to sit on driveways or compounds for extensive periods. Xxxx
Myth. Our van is coming up 6 years old and has been stood for 5 months a year, every year. I started it the other day to test the new fuel filter I fitted, before then the engine hadn't turned a crank since September. Started instantly, ran smoothly ?

Also the tyres don't turn for months either, no problems ?

My defender didn't run all winter either, didn't do that any harm.

They are machines, they don't get bored waiting ?

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Look on the bright side though if you did it here,which you can, you save nothing as tax is yearly from January 1st+you pay to actually do it,lol and the instant you do it your mot is nullified.lol
To "unsorn" it you first have to mot it and that legally means a transporter to the mot station as it cannot be driven ,once passed you can pay to unsorn it.lol
You can drive an untaxed vehicle to a pre-booked mot station for an MOT as you cant get it taxed if it doesnt have a current MOT

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought about doing ours, but if the isolation gets a bit much, we could maybe use the van to pop out to the new forest or the beach for fresh air and lunch outside the four walls of our prison (home)
That's the problem, especially with ours that's not too big to use for a day if the car is out of action or suddenly want a day or two out in it.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Sorry Gus picked you up wrong!

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Why not go in a car if you must do non essential travel.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know mine wont get sorned, I Will take it out periodically as I always do. Vehicles and structure deteriorate if not used. Batteries and systems will suffer too.

IF you are going to store for more than a few weeks, there there is a lot to think about to ensure that the vehicle and habitation are not going to suffer. I peronally would not buy a Motohome that had been laid up on a regular basis. it is likely to have underlying issues!.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I know mine wont get sorned, I Will take it out periodically as I always do. Vehicles and structure deteriorate if not used. Batteries and systems will suffer too.

IF you are going to store for more than a few weeks, there there is a lot to think about to ensure that the vehicle and habitation are not going to suffer. I peronally would not buy a Motohome that had been laid up on a regular basis. it is likely to have underlying issues!.
How would you know ?

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
We will not. even though we are high risk, we shall be using the motorhome for day trips out just to stop the boredom. We do not need to interact with anyone else and it will do the motorhome good to be moving

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back