Cross border prescriptions? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are trying to get my husband’s Parkinson’s medication in Spain as we have opted to see the virus through here. Despite our online research saying that EU countries have a reciprocal policy our medical centre at home is saying they can’t help us at all.
Has anyone managed to get prescription meds abroad?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In France, when my blepharitis flared up, I went to a GP and showed her the drops I’d been prescribed in the UK. She found the local version with identical contents and wrote me a prescription for it. Then paid less than €3 in the pharmacy.
I‘d say try a pharmacist first as In a Pickle says, and then if necessary, a GP.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I got a top up of immuno-suppressants in Ireland in February no problem. I went into a local clinic, a doctor saw me within 20 minutes, gave me a prescription and I took it to the local pharmacy. Bob’s your uncle for a €4 charge.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Be careful contacting your own GP at home because strictly speaking if you’re out of the country for more than 3 months, they have the right to remove you from their register.

Sticking your head above the parapet can also alert other agencies such as vehicle insurers, house insurers, travel insurers etc who may refuse a claim, should one arise.

As has already been suggested, if you can afford to buy the meds, take your existing scrip to a pharmacy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a thought but how long are you expecting to need to stay to see out the virus the estimates I've heard are that the outbreak is going to last 6 months at least. Is your mot long enough and have you thought out what your going to do if you both catch it?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
This is Sedge - I never leave home for any holiday without a proper copy of my repeat prescription whether it's in the UK or elsewhere I'm going.

Many drugs are available over the counter at pharmacies in Spain, but some are definitely not eg. I know that one brand of insulin that is commonly prescribed in the UK which I used to use, isn't used in Spain at all! - despite other things made by the same manufacturer being available. Not logical Captain!

If not available over the counter - visit a GP. 99% of doctors speak some English!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are trying to get my husband’s Parkinson’s medication in Spain as we have opted to see the virus through here. Despite our online research saying that EU countries have a reciprocal policy our medical centre at home is saying they can’t help us at all.
NHS policy. More than 90 days away and you have to re-register with a doctor where you are, whether that is in other parts of the UK or Europe.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Just a thought but how long are you expecting to need to stay to see out the virus the estimates I've heard are that the outbreak is going to last 6 months at least. Is your mot long enough and have you thought out what your going to do if you both catch it?
Yes we’ve thought it all through (as far as possible)
It peaked and started to wane in China within just a few months so who knows?

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Went to the local pharmacy and got ramipril and bisopradol for heart condition no problem and cheap as chips. But might be a different story with you’re meds

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I wouldn’t worry too much about your GP de registering or unregistering you, they are far too busy. We used to give people a 3 month NHS prescription plus a 3 month private prescription for their medication if we were happy that their condition was stable. This was considered acceptable practice. If you do find you aren’t registered on your return just re-register, it’s easy.
Lots of pills are easy to buy in a local pharmacia abroad if you have the packaging but some Parkinsons meds could be expensive. Worth asking. If they are then go to see a state doctor to get a prescription and although you will still have to pay you may be able to claim it back , should be cheaper anyway.

An NHS prescription cannot be dispensed outside UK. They might just use it for info though.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As long as a pharmacy has exactly the same meds as on your prescription ( including strength) the pharmacy should be able to dispense them but you will pay.
If there are any differences, you will have to see a doctor to get a new prescription.
You will probably still have to pay for any meds you get.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have found meds from Spanish Pharmacias to be very reasonably priced so would not worry to much on that front?

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
thats the beauty of online reordering probably no good to you now but for future ideas I reorder through Patient access the Dr practice ok's it then its sent to my nominated chemist if I am away my daughter picks them up and posts them out to me

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Go to a Centro Salud in a smallish town/village in Spain, saves on waiting.....take EHIC, Passport as form of ID and packaging of medicine you require...see Doctor, ask for Prescription...take to Phamacia job done....

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes we checked today and we need to go to Spanish doctor to authorise it and the three Parkinson’s meds together cost 261 euros for 4 weeks worth. I wonder if we can get it back off our Comfort insurance on our return?
Alternatively my daughter could pick up our next UK prescription and mail the pills. Would that be legal? To mail medication ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes we checked today and we need to go to Spanish doctor to authorise it and the three Parkinson’s meds together cost 261 euros for 4 weeks worth. I wonder if we can get it back off our Comfort insurance on our return?
Alternatively my daughter could pick up our next UK prescription and mail the pills. Would that be legal? To mail medication ?
Makes you realise how good it is to have the NHS thats£3000 a year for that med alone let alone any others appointments etcetc. I think your chances of getting money back off travel insurance for a pre-existing condition needing ongoing medication are zero.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wonder if we can get it back off our Comfort insurance on our return?
What do you mean by your "Comfort" insurance. If that is the insurance for your motorhome I cannot see how you can make a claim from them. They only cover damage to motorhome and recovery, not illnesses or supply of medicines. If you have holiday type insurance which includes medical insurance you may be able to claim, but that may depend upon whether or not you were required to declare your husband's existing condition and whether or not you did so.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a thought you said you were staying in Spain to see out the virus is there a limit on your travel health insurance?

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Very very cheap. Shows you what the mark up is in the uk bit of an eye opener
What sort of drugs are you talking about, and what prices Thanks.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968

Must admit never asked if its illegal I always get the daughter to put the prescription reorder form in with the meds as don't need it for online ordering

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
It is illegal for some medication though - insulin for instance.

It's to stop them falling into the wrong hands for starters and to prevent someone re-selling them cheaply on eg eBay.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You may be able to claim back any medicine costs from NHS once home, see this quote

Sample story
You may have to pay for your prescription medicine

Federica has a prescription from her doctor in Italy for allergy medicine that she thinks she might need during her summer holiday in France. In Italy the medicine is dispensed free of charge.

During her holiday in France, Federica takes her Italian prescription to the pharmacy to get her allergy medicine. She is surprised when the pharmacist asks her to pay €25 for her medicine.

If you have a prescription from another EU country and you want to have it dispensed abroad, you will most likely have to pay the full price of the medicine at the pharmacy. However, you may be entitled to reimbursement when you get home.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't even get my Scottish meds here in England !!!!! It's OTC in Scotland and not available on prescription but not available OTC in England - only prescription and at a higher dose.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just have your daughter pick up the prescriptions. If she can't forward them all, then keep them towards your next trip and just keep collecting them, then bite the bullet and pay for the local ones, at least you know you will then be ok where you are and will be covered for your next trip.
Edit
Or ask MHF for any one that can take them over to Spain for you. (y)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Ramipril and bisopradol €2.50 each for months supply
Madopar and others including expensive patches . Costed already by a pharmacist at 260e
Annoying as a cross border prescription definitely exists but my doc has never heard of it and won’t help. Amazingly uncooperative behaviour.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Madopar and others including expensive patches . Costed already by a pharmacist at 260e
Annoying as a cross border prescription definitely exists but my doc has never heard of it and won’t help. Amazingly uncooperative behaviour.
I am really sad so decided to do some research as I thought like your GP that UK prescriptions had to be dispensed in the UK. Not the case, unfortunately it becomes unbelievably complicated, ours are valid for 6 months in your pcket from signing if dispensed in the UK, in Germany 3 weeks,in Croatia 2 weeks, couldn’t find Spain so I expect it’s a short period so this is probably where the problem occurs. In theory it’s valid but probably not because of when it was signed. It did say that if you could persuade someone to dispense it you would have to pay based on the rules of the country you were in.

It’s not a special prescription, it’s just a normal one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back