What is your favourite cooking appliance? (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Wok. Use it inside for most cooking and use it on the cadac when cooking outside. If I really need flat surface, then inside or outside is the ridge monkey.;)
We do have a Mr D's, but tend to use it for starting at home then taking away to keep cooking for the evening meal.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Remoska on hook up cadac outside, but we have a full cooker and it gets well used.
For giving the OP more time to spend with his wife, a slow cooker bung everything in and go and enjoy yourselves. Have just bought a ridge monkey with some christmas money, have tried it at home and used it in the doblo too. time will tell if it is all it is cracked up to be.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Wow, I’m not surprised some people are obsessed with fully unrolling their EHU cables with the amount of power needed to cook!
We have 3 gas rings a Diablo and an Omnia oven ( as well as frying pans and saucepans) We can cook everything we need on those.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When on hook-up the 2 things I love are my Remoska and Slow Cooker.
Off grid it’s my fabulous deep fry pan/wok and my oven.

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Just remember the low power we run on at campsites and, of course, the dreaded weight. My policy one item of cookware brought in, one goes out!
Regarding low power on sites, it's worth asking what amps they're on. Lots of aires are being upgraded to 16 amp EHU; even Camping-Car Park ones that claim to only have 6 amp often have 10 / 16 amps.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, slow cooker, we also use a CLEVERCHEF it is a brilliant piece of kit, works on a maximum 800 watts.
There is not much you can do with it from soup, bread and baking. Just take look on line!!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
On hook up, Pressure King Pro, 3 litre 700 w
easy to clean, sears, and cooks either as a pressure cooker or a slow cooker.

Didn't realise they were that low wattage. Is the 3 litre big enough for 2 people though? I thought it would probably be a bit small.

Denise

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Instant Pot.....when on Hook up, Inverter when travelling between sites.......Cadac for sunny days.....Kettle for Pot noodles when we want a treat......( The last line was a joke)

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
We rarely have EHU so the Mr D thing is great for curry, chills etc. We are veggie so can't comment on how well it cooks meat (it is supposed to cook it safely). It's especially useful when we have a long journey and want a quick meal when we arrive (I just get the meal ready whilst having my morning coffee, let it simmer for 10 mins, to ensure it's thoroughly hot, whilst eating breakfast then it just sits and cooks whilst we travel (securely attached upright with a bungie!) and the meal is still piping hot when we arrive. It's also great in very hot weather so I can cook in the morning, before it gets hot, and avoids the having to create more heat cooking in the MH in the evening when I'm already far too hot! However, it's big and quite heavy (and quite expensive, tho' we use it at home so not just when touring, and there's a limit to how many curry/chilli/goulash type meals we actually want to eat in a six week holiday. We have the space and can cope with the weight and so it works for us.
We have an oven and have recently bought a tefal non stick pan with detachable handle which can be used in the oven. Great for bake type things - shepherds pie etc which you start on the hob then put in the oven. Again quite expensive, but I use it all the time at home too, and it is dead easy to wash up. (Just have to remember to pack it!)
Finally I have a little hand operated chopper which is light and small and very useful for breadcrumbs, chopped nuts and even blitzing soup. (I do enjoy cooking!!)

Apr 7, 2013
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
VWT5
Exp
I'm a newbie
I got a bit excited about the Thermomix until I realised it will cost more than my van is worth (slight exaggeration but not much!) Have used my Remoska at home, so keen to get going with it in the van.

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
If I am reading your original post correctly, you are looking for something that will make life easier for you as a couple and take some of the strain off of you to allow you more time to allow you to enjoy your time away. If that is the case, may I suggest you take a look at https://thermomix.vorwerk.com/thermomix/. These things are bloody amazing, and looking at the power consumption suggests that a normal power draw of under 6.5W would make it perfectly usable whilst on hook-up at any UK site as well as a good amount of continental ones as well. They are pricey, but I can personally attest to both their quality and the results of the food they prepare!
I think you will find its 1500W a little bit more than 6.5!!!! :)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Weve the following all used at some time or other but not necessarily within same holiday.
oven - crap and don’t use it other than for storage, tech tower!
remouska - great bit of kit use a lot, had a standard but have recently bought the grand from alzera, as found the standard just a bit less versatile for, such things as whole chicken or pizza. Standard has come home. Will see how the lithium and inverter manage in summer.
pressure cooker - use always when not on hook up, cuts gas time considerably. But also great on the induction.
induction single hob, use when on ehu and if only needing one pan as it takes space over the 3 gas hob.
double skillet - have yet to use it properly, found it burnt before being cooked so bought a defuser, lost the handles so it went into storage at home, found the handles, still haven’t used it properly.
george Forman- small 2 person one, 500w only used on ehu, makes great toasties. Low watts so hopefully might be able to use off grid.
BBQ - had an external bbq point fitted so no take a gas bbq too. For also when off grid
also now have inverter so will be going cold turkey in summer and living off solar so will see how things go.
If
The Cobb is a great addition too. We can do a whole chicken and all sorts of our Cobb and it's safe to use too. Cracking bit of kit.
I loved the Cobb it cooks fabulously with the minimum time and effort BUT it's an absolute pain to clean especially if wild camping, when they "improved" the original design, where you could remove the coals chamber before cleaning it was fine but since they "improved" it, the coals basket is fixed in position and if you try and save the lovely juices etc.they get spoiled by the coals ash,so a backward step methinks, but I do like the all Stainless steel finish and it will cook virtually anything.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
If

I loved the Cobb it cooks fabulously with the minimum time and effort BUT it's an absolute pain to clean especially if wild camping, when they "improved" the original design, where you could remove the coals chamber before cleaning it was fine but since they "improved" it, the coals basket is fixed in position and if you try and save the lovely juices etc.they get spoiled by the coals ash,so a backward step methinks, but I do like the all Stainless steel finish and it will cook virtually anything.
Our coal basket is removable but I do get what you're saying about cleaning it when limited for water when wild camping....still love it though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back