Payload (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
The UK is signatory to the International Treaties unless it wishes to rescind from those, in which case its licences will not be accepted, even if one applies for an IDP.

So what use would the licence over 3500g be except in UK?

I think the US did not sign, or did not ratify the Treaties, so I do not know what US drivers do outside USA.

Geoff

Ok, let's use Australia as the example, then. A standard car licence there covers vehicles up to 4,500kg.

They can use that licence to drive a vehicle in the UK up to 4,500kg.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Can you cite the legal basis for that?

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-visitor-to-great-britain/any-other-country

It states:

“You can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)”

I read that as, if it is listed on your licence you can drive it, so would cover a van up to 4,500kg. Would be good to hear from an Aussie with direct experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Wording a bit vague IMO.

I agree -- very vague.

I checked out New Zealand too and NZ says temporary visitors can drive vehicle types that they are licensed to drive in their home country.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Isn't it irrelevant what weight of vehicle your licence allows you to drive? I have an hgv licence, but if I drive a vehicle rated at 3500kg max (ignoring axle weights), I am breaking the law if the vehicle with all my belongings in it weighs more than that 3500kg.
Payload is the single most important consideration when buying a motorhome. The law don't give a toss if you have a fixed bed or rear lounge, but if you're driving around overloaded you are breaking the law.
More responsibility should be placed on manufacturers and dealers, to ensure that nobody buys an unsuitable vehicle.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Ok i have just found this thead and gosh it is a big one... i get jist of license and weights and what you can drive and will it change next week when out of europe. However (and please correct me if i am wrong) but I thought in Ireland you could drive above 3500kg with standard license.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ok i have just found this thead and gosh it is a big one... i get jist of license and weights and what you can drive and will it change next week when out of europe. However (and please correct me if i am wrong) but I thought in Ireland you could drive above 3500kg with standard license.
It's the same as the uk over 3500 kg you need a C1 licence.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Yep Lenny..you right.... Should have known better than to listen to my know it all...never wrong (Maybe soon to be ex) pal.

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
Yes payload is important especially if it seems like so many people insist on taking everything bar the kitchen sink. And why oh why would you travel with a full water tank and cupboards stuffed with tinned food that's probably all your allowance use up before you load much else.

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
Why would anyone want to set off without a full water tank?
Never can be sure when you will next be able to fill up.
I guess if you're wild camping and don't intend using a site or aire. Otherwise surely it's down to planning.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
If you are travelling to Spain or southern France in January, as we have done, it is essential to have a full tank of fresh water as the taps in the aires are either switched off or frozen.

However, if there was a reliable place to fill up near Dover/Folkestone or Calais we would do that.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes payload is important especially if it seems like so many people insist on taking everything bar the kitchen sink. And why oh why would you travel with a full water tank and cupboards stuffed with tinned food that's probably all your allowance use up before you load much else.

Obviously a man who neither travels too far nor off season.

Ian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. And why oh why would you travel with a full water tank
Because I need it on the journey.When I arrive I can get it easily.
I guess if you're wild camping and don't intend using a site or aire. Otherwise surely it's down to planning.
I never use any type of facility anywhere.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't do planning, planning and Motorhoming don't go together that's something caravaners do.
Rarely use sites.
If you are travelling to Spain or southern France in January, as we have done, it is essential to have a full tank of fresh water as the taps in the aires are either switched off or frozen.
Exactly last Feb & Mar on the way and back to Spain stayed on 9 Aires only 2 had the water turned on.

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
Obviously a man who neither travels too far nor off season.

Ian
You're right of course only about 4/5 trips a year over 11months (always fly some where in Dec to avoid Xmas ) covering around 15,000 miles in the van and another 5k on the motorcycle we tow and ride all weathers.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You're right of course only about 4/5 trips a year over 11months (always fly some where in Dec to avoid Xmas ) covering around 15,000 miles in the van and another 5k on the motorcycle we tow and ride all weathers.

But never with a full water tank. Each to their own. ?

Ian

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Started 2012, 1st Burstner Ixeo it720, 2nd Carthago C-Tourer i150:)
Really interesting thread.
We bought our first motorhome without any consideration to payload and found we had to up rate it from 3500kg to 3850kg by upgrading the rear suspension and tyres. However we soon realised that payload is king in decision making followed by axle weight, because in all the conversations so far discuss the weight of an addition but not where it is placed in the van. 25kg bike puts a larger downward pressure on the rear axle if placed between the two axles as opposed to on the rear bike rack.
I agree with the gentleman/ladies who stare all Motorhomes should be advertised with the true axle weights BEFORE the purchase. Sadly this will never happen until there are a number of fatal accidents, which will bring it to the attention of the safety police:)
Our van came with a payload certificate of 2600kg, so needless to say my wife is very happy:)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
You were quick, I deleted that post because I was wrong, If you passed your test before Jan 1997 you can tow up to a combined maximum MAM of 8000kg on a B license.

It's up to 8250, up to 7500 vehicle plus 750 unbraked...

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Payload was the most important consideration for me (not the boss) when deciding on what to buy..

6.5T is current plating, but it's a 5T rear axle and 2.2T front, so figure I have scope to increase if needed!

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
All very interesting but who has ever been pulled over for a weight check? It seems that the intercepts are aimed more at overweight LGV's than motorhomes....Can we have an honest straw poll of who has ever been weight checked in a m/home and then work out what % you have of being done, depending on where overweight is and the% that is within permissible allowance used to be 5% over to the Funsters!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have not been weighed, but there are reports of MHs being weighed at Swiss and Austrian borders - mainly I think to find out they are paying for the right passes/Go boxes for their weight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A Hymer club member got checked at Nottingham service on the M1 a few years ago. Gave him a notice that allowed him to proceed to his destination but no further.
And 3 fines totalling £180 for being over on both axles and the gross.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All very interesting but who has ever been pulled over for a weight check? It seems that the intercepts are aimed more at overweight LGV's than motorhomes....Can we have an honest straw poll of who has ever been weight checked in a m/home and then work out what % you have of being done, depending on where overweight is and the% that is within permissible allowance used to be 5% over to the Funsters!

The chances of being convicted of burglary at the moment is pretty much zero, so should we go steal from our neighbours?

There are a number of Funsters who have reported being weighed at the roadside. But for many that is not the incentive to stay within the limits. Payload and not overloading is about staying on the right side of the law and the insurers, not about the chances of being caught.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I was told that the batteries on your e-bikes make up a significant part of their total weight and to remove them and put them up front in the MH when transporting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was told that the batteries on your e-bikes make up a significant part of their total weight and to remove them and put them up front in the MH when transporting.
Used to that on my last van as I was on the rear axle limit.
But they are fairly insignificant in the overall weight of the bike around 10%. A Bosch 400 watt battery is about 2.5 kg.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Payload, payload, what’s payload. :rofl:

Only the Very old-mo TypeFellaPerson would understand. :gum:

AND, before any of uze get yours calcuminlators out, the maths 8.3lbs/gal is a dam colonial American gallon. :giggler:

576A9CE6-B17D-43E6-874E-7D9E7F7716BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Deleted User
Counts as a passenger :RollEyes:
Joking apart, how many people add the weight of their pet and all its accessories. We have just bougt a amaller lighter cage for our Macaw for the van, as she is out of it most the time. Her old cage was quite heavy.
If she flaps her wings and doesn’t perch she won’t weigh anything.

spongy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back