Village is doomed, wanna buy really cheap houses with sea views? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've been banging on a big drum about rising sea levels & seaside properties being next to worthless for ages now.
Watch any property series & you can guarantee that they'll bang on about sea views at premium prices.

I personally think that when the penny finally drops, you'll be hard pushed to give seaside properties away.

& so it begins, the north west Wales seaside village of Fairbourne will be left to its devices when defences are abandoned in 2050.
IMHO its a matter of time before many more villages or towns find themselves in the same boat (pun intended).

<Broken link removed>

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In our bit of East Yorkshire, the issue is not flooding of low lying property as much as the loss of Land. we are losing the Cliffs to the sea at an alarming rate and have been since well before WW2. ALL of the WW2 coastal defence bunkers we played in as kids have long gone. One of the last is now only visble at low tide when I walked the dog Sunday. ERCC, have been under pressure to re-house people who bought properties some years ago, and now lost them over the cliff edge!. The Caravan site owners are moving row after row of Statics back each year. There are some here that are within 6 feet of the cliff edge. And will have to be moved before Easter for safety sake.

EDIT:- https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...ost-villages-forgotten-east-yorkshire-3751313

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've been banging on a big drum about rising sea levels & seaside properties being next to worthless for ages now.
Watch any property series & you can guarantee that they'll bang on about sea views at premium prices.

I personally think that when the penny finally drops, you'll be hard pushed to give seaside properties away.

& so it begins, the north west Wales seaside village of Fairbourne will be left to its devices when defences are abandoned in 2050.
IMHO its a matter of time before many more villages or towns find themselves in the same boat (pun intended).

<Broken link removed>
It won't be the first,,quite a few lost years ago.BUSBY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like the village was built on naturally reclaimed land.... Flat as a pool table.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
In our bit of East Yorkshire, the issue is not flooding of low lying property as much as the loss of Land. we are losing the Cliffs to the sea at an alarming rate and have been since well before WW2. ALL of the WW2 coastal defence bunkers we played in as kids have long gone. One of the last is now only visble at low tide when I walked the dog Sunday. ERCC, have been under pressure to re-house people who bought properties some years ago, and now lost them over the cliff edge!. The Caravan site owners are moving row after row of Statics back each year. There are some here that are within 6 feet of the cliff edge. And will have to be moved before Easter for safety sake.

Like this:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
'Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn't fall, for it was founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn't do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.'

The gospel according to Wikipedia maybe there is something in it

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
'Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn't fall, for it was founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn't do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.'

The gospel according to Wikipedia maybe there is something in it

Was it not Jay-Z 2002?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
My mate Mathew...….

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
A few years ago there was a lovely house at the edge of Corton in Suffolk whose back fence was about 100 metres from the cliff edge. It was put up for sale but the last time I saw it, the cliff was at the fence and the house was not sold (about 2 years ago). we had a static caravan nearby but insurance companies would not cover any van within 200 metres of the cliff. Scary stuff and sad for the people in the villages.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I imagine folk living in Derbyshire can be fairly complacent (until all the displaced people from coastal homes start to camp on their driveway). :winky:

Gordon
Not being complacent just stating a fact and as we have plenty of space in Derbyshire displaced people would be most welcome.BUSBY.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years

EDIT:- https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...ost-villages-forgotten-east-yorkshire-3751313
5 miles plus since Roman times, imagine that in land area.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Before Van I looked at a cliff top chalet 20 year lease ridiculously expensive and the leaseholder would not buy back simply because they didn't expect it to be there that long. the only good thing was the leaseholder was very honest about the situation (but they were not selling the chalet) last time i looked it was still there and still for sale

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I can remember back in the 50s in Boscombe near Bournmouth the cliffs slowly eroding over a few years and quite a few lovely houses collapsing into the sea.BUSBY.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Wierdo.... She be calling on King Canute next.
She`ll be from West Yorkshire then?. Lot`s migrated for our "Milk and Honey". And to get away from the "godless hordes".

Loss of land had been recorded from before the time of Henry 8th. so bugger all to do with "Man-made Global Warming"

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Here in Cornwall, tiz only a problem in a small number of places. I'll stick my neck out and say the majority of the coastline is rock.
In Falmouth, the business area, which was built on reclaimed land, the Sea Defences, (the wall around the Harbour) was built in such a way, it allows the sea to penetrate it.
When it was built, the local Aristo shipped in Dutch workers to build it, actually built a village to accommodate them (Flushing). Still there after 2-3 hundred years, and still working .

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I remember years ago being parked in the car park at Praa Sands over New Year.

About 3am, when the waves were coming over the top of our van (15m above the beach), I thought it a good time to move :)

The next night where we were parked fell into the sea.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a friend who bought an ex coastguard cottage in Norfolk years 40 ago on the cheap it was impossible to get a mortgage on it and as a professor of civil engineering he thought it was a good bet as a getaway cottage on the cheap its still there!
Yes there has been errosion for years but there is flooding now on low lying areas that have been unaffected for years.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thank gawd I am well inland in the foothills of the Pennines at nearly 350 feet above sea level if we flood most of the UK will be under water. On a serious note it is an alarming future as global warming and sea levels rise. I fear for our children and their kids, a sobering thought.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Large Tracts of Holland are several metres below sea level?. In the UK it`s usual issue, we dont invest in infrastructure proper, just expensive "toy" projects to keep the "Fat Cats" in new BMW`s.

Yep, but forward thinking these bankers.

Docklands going to be the new Venice (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back