IAN and HELGA,,ONWARDS and UPWARDS!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
It’s a really hard decision. As I see it one of the main pluses of this flat is its brand new and the council will pick up the maintenance.
But, as has been said, you’re renting and it doesn’t build up equity or stability for the future. Areyour other outgoings more in a flat vs campsite fees? Council tax, electric, gas etc? The plus is it doesn’t tie you.
The workshop is expensive, you’ll have to do well to cover your costs but, from what you’re saying, it’s as much about you staying positive as about the income stream.

For what it’s worth, and I don’t know you, I think make reversible decisions for now and see how things pan out,
So you might decide to give the flat a shot, hang onto Helga, knowing you can sell her easily, take the workshop and see how it all goes. Give yourself 6-12 months then re-evaluate.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

yes I know what you mean G, but if I take the flat, Ithen need to sell Helga to fund all,, unit, van, flat!! Catch 22 really!! Xx

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Flat with rent ,rates , electric, gas and whatever else, £150 a week, Helga on site, plus £30 a week so on first look a saving of £180 a week, so money wise a no brainer, to stick with the van and you are free to go where you like when you like, but if you really want to settle down in comfort you won't find a much better deal, so can't help much apart from confusing you even more.:doh::doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ian, what facilities do you need in a unit? Just thinking, recently visited a farm near us who have diversified - they let out one of their barns to a (very upmarket) bespoke rug-design/making company.

I wonder if you look a little more rurally but cycle le from your flat if you might find something cheaper ... maybe a barn a farmer’s not getting an income stream from just now ... and hadn’t thought of letting out ... yet.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Flat with rent ,rates , electric, gas and whatever else, £150 a week, Helga on site, plus £30 a week so on first look a saving of £180 a week, so money wise a no brainer, to stick with the van and you are free to go where you like when you like, but if you really want to settle down in comfort you won't find a much better deal, so can't help much apart from confusing you even more.:doh::doh:
As another aside, you will be committed to that £150 a week whether working or not.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I, believe it or not, am grateful for all replies so far, it’s not necessarily clearing my mind for making a decision either way, but just reading is helping! If it was all about saving money,I wouldn’t move from Helga, but there’s a lot more in it!! Proper address for customers etc, it’s ok asking you lot for £15,000 for an extension at your house, but any customer that doesn’t know me, I know it’s hard for them to trust a bloke living in a Motorhome on a muddy field! Lol. Would I get decent work!!

on the other side though, like chaser says, £150 per week ad infinitum!! I’m a bit lost to be honest!

the reason I want to start something from a unit/workshop is because I do feel like the building, bricklaying etc isn’t getting any easier on my body,, and I’m looking to replace the graft with some brainwork and not so much grunt!! I don’t know!!

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Ian, if in doubt, don't do anything you can't go back on is a good guideline. Can you afford to take on the flat without selling Helga? It might make it tight but you could at least then try it out without burning your bridges.

Do you want to have a proper brocks and mortar home to be settled into as you get older? If not, then I don't really think most people would care that much about their builder's address.....much more interested in their recommendations.

You need a proper think about how you want the next years to pan out, being realistic about your earning potential etc....

This really isn't easy to do on your own......

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi Ian,

The money side of this is one thing, you feeling a bit insecure selling Helga and moving into a flat is another.

You have spent some years in Helga now so I understand the old heart strings pulling you, but that can be said of any situation when moving on and moving on is what you are doing.

Helga even though you own her now will always need some sort of maintenance as she gets older that will cost you more, the flat is brand new but will not be a weight around your neck, lots of people rent which gives them the freedom that they can move on at time.
If the bricks and mortar scenario doesn't work for you then you can always buy another Helga but at least you will have tried your new lifestyle.

You know I send my best wishes.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I want to start something from a unit/workshop is because I do feel like the building, bricklaying etc isn’t getting any easier on my body,, and I’m looking to replace the graft with some brainwork and not so much grunt!! I don’t know!!

My stepfather was an old school carpenter (one of the best I ever met)
One of his sayings.
“Every pound you earn in the building trade comes out of your bones”
Don’t I know it ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
My stepfather was an old school carpenter (one of the best I ever met)
One of his sayings.
“Every pound you earn in the building trade comes out of your bones”
Don’t I know it ?

Doesnt it just.
Some people have no idea what it does to your body.

But isn’t it great doing things others just can’t do ?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Ian, over the last couple of years you have got various jobs and walked away for one reason or another. You only seemed happy when doing a "personal" building job but you only got them sporadically.

If you take a unit and keep Helga I don't think you'll be able to sleep in her as it will probably be against planning so if you want to to take up your new venture then the flat is the answer. It might help if we knew what your new venture is, you've asked for our advice but we haven't got all the information.

As said above, you haven't actually done much travelling recently, just moved from one long term site to another almost putting down roots so as sad as it will be to see Helga go maybe it is time to put those roots down properly in the flat.

No opinion from me on your choice as I'm not in your position but just a few points to consider.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A life on the road sounds idyllic ....

But and a big BUT... you aint getting any younger, Ian...

And if heaven forbid in a few years time some sort of ailment keeps you from driving Helga or worse... working... What would you do..???????

Doubt there are many county`s or council`s that would offer you a place in the short time you have lived there... (And a new build too boot..)....

More likely to get offered regular employment with a permanent abode...

I know a few Funsters have had you do work for them... But once that work filters out where do you go from there....????

Take the flat...... get yourself known in the area and get some work and THEN do your little side line you have in mind...

What ever..... All the best in what you decide.. Ian.... :xThumb: :hugs: :drinks:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Yes fig,,, a new venture! A bit easier on my old bones! Lol

just a thought if you Became unfit to work
what happens in the van re living costs
as no fixed abode (assumed).

where as in bricks and mortar you would
probably be entitled to assistance / benefit
re rent heating and food .
not sure will be available in Helga others will know
for sure.

a council property is hard to come buy Today
as we all are our young days are a memory
but old age is a creeping up.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Thanks a lot for all replies,, I’ve had a chat with myself and I have made a decision!

I’m going to take the flat, work and think about options when I’m working and earning!

I do want a proper address,,
I’m fed up living in a field,,
It will be a new adventure,,
And I’ll probably not get a chance from the housing association, if I turn it down, ever again!

thanks for input, it was very helpful!!

ps, I’ve sold the IBoost! Xxxxxx

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
For what it’s worth, I’m very glad that you have decided to take the flat. Whatever happens in the future , you will have a roof over your head. When you’ve worked and saved a bit, you can start the new venture (whatever that is!). In the future you can also get another van - perhaps not as big as Helga, and maybe fit in the parking space of the flat? Good luck with the move - I think this is your year!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what the new enterprise is, but could it be fitted in at the building site

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Glad you've made the decision Ian and, for what its worth, in my opinion the right one.

Get yourself set up in the flat, at minimal cost if necessary, and get a bit of work and money.
Once you are settled and have a bit in the bank again start thinking about your new project.
One step at a time..........'Softly, softly, catchy monkey'. :xsmile::xsmile:

Richard.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Thanks a lot for all replies,, I’ve had a chat with myself and I have made a decision!

I’m going to take the flat, work and think about options when I’m working and earning!

I do want a proper address,,
I’m fed up living in a field,,
It will be a new adventure,,
And I’ll probably not get a chance from the housing association, if I turn it down, ever again!

thanks for input, it was very helpful!!

ps, I’ve sold the IBoost! Xxxxxx
I think that's a very wise decision. Apart from anything else you then have loads of time to plan properly for the idea and really check out costs etc.
Whatever, good luck for 2020.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Like everybody else, I'm glad you've decided to move into the flat - without wanting to unduly try to influence you, I'm also sure it's the right decision.

All the best for 2020!! (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back