Connecting a second leisure battery. (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I have a second leisure battery, and recharge this by removing it from the van, and using a mains supply. One item I connect to it is a 1500 watt inverter. I use some heavy duty battery clamps to connect this to the battery. I get get a substantial spark when I make the second connection, and this happens regardless of the order of connection. The inverter is switched off at the time of connection. I'm concerned that I may be damaging the inverter, and I'm thinking of installing a switch on the positive side. Do you think this is a good idea, and will it solve the problem? This is the switch I am thinking of buying -
Amazon product ASIN B01E6Z3O0M

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unsafe and never a good idea to use croc clips for any connection. The sparking is due the inverter being in standby and it never completely turns off that is why it is always advisable to fit an isolator switch in the circuit.
Why do you need to remove it to charge why not use the existing charger, you could switch it to your charger using battery isolator like you have suggested.
Rather than croc clips it would be better to permanently fit it with battery terminals or use something like an Anderson connector.
Also a single battery is not going to last long with a 1500W inverter at full chat it will draw over 130 amps and will soon knacker the battery, you really need a bank of of 3 or 4 batteries to share the load (assuming batteries around 100a/h)

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've got a larger battery that I need to connect via a splitter. I only use the smaller battery for odd things like my computer printer, and I might want to use that outside the van. I'm also going to use it for a bit of experimentation with small solar panels. I only paid a fiver for it, and I thought that was a good price for a second hand leisure battery in good condition.

I'm still learning about motor home living, so much of the things I do are educational rather than permanent. I'm starting to realise how little I do know, and how one has to be multi-skilled if one wants to be self-sufficient. I had a greenhouse on the dashboard for a while, and that was a failure, and, no. I'm not going to put one on a roof rack. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
When you first connect it, you should touch a 25w 30 ohm resistor between one cable end and its connection point to charge the capacitors then take the resistor away and clamp the cable onto the terminal straight after.
one of these. £1.50

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks for posting that. You started me on an investigation into why the spark is created, and I think I understand the problem. The resistor is an interesting solution.

They are in Southampton. I might see if I can collect one.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Unsafe and never a good idea to use croc clips for any connection. The sparking is due the inverter being in standby and it never completely turns off that is why it is always advisable to fit an isolator switch in the circuit.
Why do you need to remove it to charge why not use the existing charger, you could switch it to your charger using battery isolator like you have suggested.
Rather than croc clips it would be better to permanently fit it with battery terminals or use something like an Anderson connector.
Also a single battery is not going to last long with a 1500W inverter at full chat it will draw over 130 amps and will soon knacker the battery, you really need a bank of of 3 or 4 batteries to share the load (assuming batteries around 100a/h)

I had a second battery fitted, by a Funster Dealer who connected the second battery using a crocodile clip.. TheCaller pointed it out to me, got it fixed asap..Cheers Simon...

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I fitted one of these in line when I used an Inverter.

D3EDD12B-145A-4522-97CE-CE6E845D83AB.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
That looks great, a much better idea than the switch I was gong to use. I found this one on Amazon - do you think it is any good?
Amazon product ASIN B07GP5WHWX
This is where I bought mine from, just make sure you buy one with the correct load rating.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That looks great, a much better idea than the switch I was gong to use. I found this one on Amazon - do you think it is any good?
Amazon product ASIN B07GP5WHWX
Yes they are good quality, I've got one on our cable down from the solar panel so it can be disconnected ?

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks guys. I've just bought the 100 amp one, and it is being delivered to Morrisons tomorrow. What did we do before Amazon. I feel bad using them, but they are perfect for digital nomads.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Many thanks for the help and advice, and now that the breaker thingy ( is that the correct technical term ? ) has arrived, I thought I would post the plan before I get out the screwdriver. Please remember that this is only a temp. solution for the winter, and it is really just to allow me to use the ink jet printer, and another couple of appliances ( nothing over 600 watts ). It is to be stand alone, and I will recharge the battery in various cafes using a deep cycle charger. I will screw the inverter and breaker onto the wood panel behind the driver's seat. To use it, I assume that I press reset before connecting or disconnecting the battery, and just push the lever over to use the power. Here is a pic of the bits I will use. I'll dig out another couple of short cables to go from the inverter to the breaker.

secondary-battery.jpg

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I will recharge the battery in various cafes using a deep cycle charger.

What size battery have you bought (amp hours?)
What charger are you getting?

The reason I ask.. That sounds like it might be one hell of a coffee break

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
The battery is an 85 amp deep cycle, and the charger is a Halford's smart charger. I have got a larger leisure battery, but the 85A one is easier to carry into a cafe. I use McD as an office,and I can be there for 8 hours or more if they aren't busy.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The battery is an 85 amp deep cycle, and the charger is a Halford's smart charger. I have got a larger leisure battery, but the 85A one is easier to carry into a cafe. I use McD as an office,and I can be there for 8 hours or more if they aren't busy.

Which brand of rucksack do you use to carry the battery? It must be a good one.

Or do you use a trolley?

Ian

Roadroamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
llanelli
Funster No
MH
elddis 115 coach built
Exp
since 1994
I have a second leisure battery, and recharge this by removing it from the van, and using a mains supply. One item I connect to it is a 1500 watt inverter. I use some heavy duty battery clamps to connect this to the battery. I get get a substantial spark when I make the second connection, and this happens regardless of the order of connection. The inverter is switched off at the time of connection. I'm concerned that I may be damaging the inverter, and I'm thinking of installing a switch on the positive side. Do you think this is a good idea, and will it solve the problem? This is the switch I am thinking of buying -
Amazon product ASIN B01E6Z3O0M
this is what I fitted to my 1500w inverter
Amazon product ASIN B07TRLNFH1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back