Croatia - how do I get there without a Go Box or Slovenian tag (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Simple request for information

SWMBO wants to go to Croatia

But doesn't want to get an Austrian Go Box
Or a Slovenian tag either

So can anyone give me an idea of which roads to take (or Countries ) our plan is so Far Channel Tunnel, then into Belgium, Germany

We have thought about Switzerland as a vignette for our 4.25T motorhome is cheaper than for 3.5T

Over to you guys for help

PLEASE

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you not in a hurry just select non-motorway route from Italy via Switzerland.
No need to go into Austria, but if you do, do the same, select non motorway, simples.
My avatar is a site in Croatia, can`t wait to go back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at our Croatian trip , link in my signature you will be able to follow the route.

One thing we found in Austria is to set the satnav with Period Tolls off and Per use tolls on. We normally run with both off, because we had Per use off it tried to do a 150 mile detour to avoid a €5 tunnel.

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We did it last year , the journey out took us via Belgium, Luxembourg, Moselle area of Germany and then across to Salzburg via Munich. Excellent camper stop in Salzburg with bus outside. Then we put the sat nav on to avoid tolls and headed through Slovenia again avoiding tolls. Previously we'd done Croatia and the former Yugoslavia many times. The Makarska Riviera is in my opinion the most attractive part of Croatia. Coming home we went straight up the main motorway paying standard tolls, into Slovenia , coastal section. This is easily driven through via a short non toll road. Then we entered Italy and headed to Venice, later did the Italian lakes and then travelled via the Bremmer pass into Austria using the non motorway route. Again set the sat nav to avoid Austrian tolls. This return route might have been a long one but we were so glad we did it as we visited loads of beautiful places. The full record of the trip is on my blog and although it may be boring the record and photos of the trip may help you . The blog moves upwards and the photos, if you click on them go bigger. Blog address below. Trip starts 26th August. http://lightningtours.blogspot.com/...00-07:00&max-results=7&start=70&by-date=false

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
One thing we found in Austria is to set the satnav with Period Tolls off and Per use tolls on. We normally run with both off, because we had Per use off it tried to do a 150 mile detour to avoid a €5 tunnel.
What Sat Nav is that Lenny, I think most only have an on or off option as far as tolls are concerned.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
What Sat Nav is that Lenny, I think most only have an on or off option as far as tolls are concerned.
Ours has Toll Roads on or off and also Toll Stickers by country, which is needed for Austria.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
We are just back. We went via Switzerland paying the 32.50 Swiss francs for the piece of paper that allows 10days travel in any one year, you just write in the days you are in Switzerland. If you are planning on transiting Switzerland in one day then you can just buy a one day version.
We were headed to the Italian lakes so went through the St Gottard Tunnel.
In Italy we took the A4 motorway to Trieste and crossed into Slovenia on the FREE road No 7 that then crosses the border into Croatia and goes to Rijeka.
The motorways in Croatia are just pay to use like Italy.

On the way back we took the ferry from Split to Ancona.

Hope this helps

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We are just back. We went via Switzerland paying the 32.50 Swiss francs for the piece of paper that allows 10days travel in any one year, you just write in the days you are in Switzerland. If you are planning on transiting Switzerland in one day then you can just buy a one day version.
In Italy we took the A4 motorway to Trieste and crossed into Slovenia on the FREE road No 7 that then crosses the border into Croatia and goes to Rijeka.

Hope this helps
This is the one we ve used 3 times now, easy and scenic. If you want to transit Austria there are numerous routes you can use but IMHO some preplanning is essential if you dont want to end up on a goat track or as ourGPS tried to guide us over a foot passenger ferry one time.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Parrot Face the Makarska Riviera is actually where we are planning to head to with Split as our final destination
Done Split loads of times, nice place but I would think about staying in Trogir and jumping the bus into Split. Better choice of ACSI sites in Trogir, we liked Camping Rozac where you can get a water taxi into Trogir. I would be inclined to go just that little bit further south. Makarska itself, although one of the more commercial towns, is still nice but doesn't have any ACSI sites and I think we paid 32 euros a night on the site there. Again a little further on but beautiful is the little town of Zaostrog with a good choice of ACSI sites. Although the motorway that runs behind the Makarska Riviera is pay at the booth tolls and quick, the drive from Split to Zaostrog is stunning and one of the worlds most picturesque coastal routes, and I've done loads in Oz and NZ

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Love Austria. Happy to pay the tag.
Slovenia? OK up to a few miles south of Trieste, but gets... rustic... very quickly.

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Hope this helps

What weight are you Sparkly wondering what the 4.25t cost would be

Try to take in the Plitlivca Lakes and the Krka National Parks on the way to Split, both amazing. You would need to allow a full day each.
Thanks for the advice we have 90 days so time not important

Slovenia? OK up to a few miles south of Trieste, but gets... rustic... very quickly.

We tend not to use motorways anymore as we have time to waste
Don't want the hassle of an Austrian Go Box ,
BUT now Slovenia have gone over to their version of a tag we don't want to pay for one for just a few days either

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Don't want the hassle of an Austrian Go Box ,
BUT now Slovenia have gone over to their version of a tag we don't want to pay for one for just a few days either
Slovenia is a beautiful small country and very easy to transverse without going into the the toll motorways.
In fact you'd miss loads by using motorways so just set to avoid and enjoy the scenery.
Plitvice lakes are fabulous but can get very packed in peak season. My advice would be to get there at opening time and enjoy them before the tour coaches arrive about 1100.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are ferries from Italy to Croatia and the Italian motorways are not too expensive. Might be worth considering if only for the outward or return leg. :) I haven't used them but the Italian ferry experience on other routes I've used is always entertaining. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
There are ferries from Italy to Croatia and the Italian motorways are not too expensive. Might be worth considering if only for the outward or return leg. :) I haven't used them but the Italian ferry experience on other routes I've used is always entertaining. :)

Just done a check on Ferry price
July is £175
but accomodation is compulsory and an inside cabin (for 2) takes the price upto £301

Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

The point is that if your over 3500kgs you are supposed to have a Go Box and they can get expensive real fast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back