Fev

Free Member
Sep 12, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
My question is not about our motorhome but about using debit cards in Europe? We are taking our first European trip come December. I’ve read that you get charged every time you use the card be it shopping or getting cash out, is this true?
What does other people do please?
Sorry if I’ve posted in wrong place I’ve only just joined ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Revolut card . Looking to get one but wasn’t sure they send the card to any addresses except UK . As you have one was just asking did they send your card there when you applied ?
they will send it anywhere in an emergency and within a couple of days.

Reactions: Fev
Upvote 0

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We use Monzo, which is very easy ( it arrived in a day or two) and Halifax Clarity if we need it. We used a Santander cashpoint recently, had no choice we were in a rush, there charges steep- we will avoid if possible in the future

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
Honest answer is that it’s complicated - and that it keeps changing! A great source is MoneySavingExoert website as it explains and compares the differences.
I use Santander Zero credit card for all purchases as it’s no charge and no exchange loading - but use a Nationwide FlexDirect debit card for cash withdrawals. The nationwide has charges now (2.75% plus £1 per withdrawal) but that’s lower than my other options.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Ditto the Halifax Clarity card set up auto clear balance when due.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But it’s not an emergency lol Just wondered if there is an issue getting one for the first time if you don’t live in the U.K.

If I remember correctly the actual card was sent to my UK address.

You get a "virtual" card (for online purchases etc. straight away).

Why not check their website for the current situation.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If I remember correctly the actual card was sent to my UK address.

You get a "virtual" card (for online purchases etc. straight away).

Why not check their website for the current situation.

Thank you . I did read the info on their site but to me was clear as mud reference cards for non U.K. residents hence my question to you .

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you . I did read the info on their site but to me was clear as mud reference cards for non U.K. residents hence my question to you .

I feel fairly certain you can enrol and get a card sent out to you to where you are...

or maybe get it sent to the address your UK bank has for you (if that has the account you will use to load up your card) and get it sent on.

I am sure you will find it well worth any trouble it takes you to get started.

Once you have your Revolut account you can link it to any other banks you choose...

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I feel fairly certain you can enrol and get a card sent out to you to where you are...

or maybe get it sent to the address your UK bank has for you (if that has the account you will use to load up your card) and get it sent on.

I am sure you will find it well worth any trouble it takes you to get started.

Once you have your Revolut account you can link it to any other banks you choose...

Thanks JJ will give the application a go ! our bank account in the U.K. has our French address as have been here 15 years with no address the U.K.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Our Nat West account doesn't charge for using the debit card. Their standard credit card with a 9.9% apr is free to use too.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Barclaycard don't charge for either card transactions or cash withdrawals.
I am surprised by that if it's a credit card as they charge on all 3 we have whether u k or Europe. I don't know about the Barclays Bank debit card as I rarelyus e t hat.

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I think, only think mind, you'll find they do in Portugal...

Well they didn't on mine last year (October) and I will find out shortly as back there on the 25th for a week.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Thank you for the welcome, we are currently with Barclays and reading up, if I’m reading it right, we get charged?

Barclays aren't too bad these days, as far as the charges go. Here's a link with some comparisons:

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I am surprised by that if it's a credit card as they charge on all 3 we have whether u k or Europe. I don't know about the Barclays Bank debit card as I rarelyus e t hat.
Definitely.no charges. I have used mine in quite a few countries in the last 2-3 years, Spain, Portugal, Cyprus, Canaries, Germany, France etc. Generally don't bother to take euros with me and use cash points to draw money once I've arrived. You get the published bank rate on the day of transaction and that has been very competitive on the times that I've checked it.
It was originally a 12 month offer but when I went to move the card they confirmed the offer had been extended for another 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure if this was a limited offer or on all their cards.

Mine is a Barclaycard Platinum Visa Credit if that makes any difference?

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Honest answer is that it’s complicated - and that it keeps changing! A great source is MoneySavingExoert website as it explains and compares the differences.
I use Santander Zero credit card for all purchases as it’s no charge and no exchange loading - but use a Nationwide FlexDirect debit card for cash withdrawals. The nationwide has charges now (2.75% plus £1 per withdrawal) but that’s lower than my other options.

Yes, here's a link:

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Definitely.no charges. I have used mine in quite a few countries in the last 2-3 years, Spain, Portugal, Cyprus, Canaries, Germany, France etc. Generally don't bother to take euros with me and use cash points to draw money once I've arrived. You get the published bank rate on the day of transaction and that has been very competitive on the times that I've checked it.
It was originally a 12 month offer but when I went to move the card they confirmed the offer had been extended for another 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure if this was a limited offer or on all their cards.

That's what we've got. I must do some checking as it would be good to have alternatives.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2018
We take halifax clarity card and 500€ that does us for a reasonable trip.
The clarity card gets the best non commission exchange rate when using it so best to use it for all payments.
You still need the currency as some places dont take cards.
Had a meal in the netherlands costing 80€ only to be told at the end they dont take cards, I always carry at least 150€ so no problem.
Have my normal cards as backup as well.
Halifax Clarity card is easy to get, just an online form and initial card sent, then requested another so we both have one.

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Just seen an update on Barclaycard transactions
Fees on cash transactions effective from 25 November 2019

Sterling cash transactionNon-Sterling cash transaction
% Cash
transaction fee
2.99%2.99%
Min cash
transaction fee
£2.99£2.99
Non-sterling
transaction fee
0%0%
Because you currently hold the Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card, we’ve reduced the non-sterling transaction fees to 0%, which means that your purchases and cash withdrawals abroad will not incur any fees (interest charges will still apply). We will now also reduce the sterling cash fee and minimum fee to 0% until the end of August 2022 to match this. At the end of the promotional period your account will be charged the fees shown in the above table, in line with other Barclaycard accounts

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I got the same email from Barclaycard, except mines fee free until 2023, but they say that they have been required to introduce identical charges for cash transactions in both sterling and foreign currencies due to new regulations.

Presumably this means that all the other UK issued fee -free foreign currency cards will have to follow suit?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
since 2000 (a couple of VW campervans and a low profile Dethleffs)
We were in the Netherlands last year and were taken aback to find that very few supermarkets accepted cards. Getting fuel was ok and a fair few cafes, especially in tourist areas accepted cards, but cash was essential for many places.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But it’s not an emergency lol Just wondered if there is an issue getting one for the first time if you don’t live in the U.K.
Sorry about the delay in replying. I signed up with Revolut using my only address ,which is where I live in spain .No problems with card despatched to home & none earlier this year when it was split & they replaced it.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry about the delay in replying. I signed up with Revolut using my only address ,which is where I live in spain .No problems with card despatched to home & none earlier this year when it was split & they replaced it.
Many thanks for that :) Might consider it them lol

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Another vote for Halifax Clarity. Although this year, there were two Peage machines that wouldn't take them. Have a spare card.

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016

Exactly the same for me, no charges for getting cash out and no transaction charges until 2022.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
For spending we used to use the Halifax Clarity but now use Tandem instead......it has all the benefits of the Clarity plus 0.5% cashback on all spending (y) They were also really quick at cancelling the card and sending out a new one when I had my bag stolen recently so I also rate their customer service (PM me if you're considering applying for one.....I have a referral link where we can both get £10 Amazon vouchers.
For cash withdrawals we use Nationwide Flexplus.

Another vote for Halifax Clarity. Although this year, there were two Peage machines that wouldn't take them. Have a spare card.
We've had problems with the Clarity too - it wouldn't work at a couple of campsites in France, at an car park ticket machine in Cologne, and at a supermarket in Spain, so I'd definitely recommend not relying solely on it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back