Bought a van at the Dusseldorf show, now got to import it.. (1 Viewer)

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
I'm sure this has been covered so happy to be pointed to any relevant thread or external websites which can give me some clarification on what I have to do next.

So I bit the bullet and have ordered a Malibu PVC (Charming GT600) which should be ready for February 2020.This is my first new van and first time of importing so any help will be much appreciated. I've requested all the forms from DVLA to register the van in the UK which I hope is not going to be too complicated. The main things I could do with advice on are.. What is the position with VAT? The dealer I'm buying from (Herrmanns just north of Dusseldorf) seemed to think that if I paid the VAT in the UK and could prove this then he can charge me the net price - but I don't think I can pay the VAT until I've returned with the van home, is this correct or am I missing something here? I'm also unsure about what plates I drive it back on (European side and this side) and ditto for insurance. There's probably other questions I haven't even thought of yet!

I'm at the beginning of this journey and have a few months to get my head around everything but I'm keen to understand the procedure well in advance so all assistance and advice will be very much appreciated ?

Oh.. and I'm very exited ?

Thanks

Clive

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You can’t pay the VAT until you have actually imported the van so I think you’ll have to pay the German VAT and get a refund from the dealer once you have proof of paying the UK vat, though I have heard of some dealers waiving the German vat.

Our German dealer arranged export plates which gives you third party cover for a limited time. You may struggle to get UK comprehensive insurance cover until the van is in UK

You may need UK spec headlights so check with your dealer

Hoping that Brexit won’t affect your ability to reclaim German VAT

Best of luck

tomlowry07

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
spain
Funster No
MH
lowry
Exp
Dealer i bought from Belgium, lets you take van without paying eu vat. Pretty sure German dealers insist you pay vat then refund once you import and pay UK vat. T

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
seakay22
We imported our new van from Germany this year. I agreed with dealer he would take a charge on.a.credit card for the vat Like you do a pre authorisation at a hotel where it's not actually charged to the card but is held as a pre charge. NOTE you need a large enough credit.limit on the card to allow you to do this!
On import I paid UK VAT sent the dealer the certificate and.he released the charge on the credit card.
Insurance, as others have said export plates provide 3rd party cover only. I searched and eventually found Caravan Guard who.would.offer fully comp for import purposes for 14 days, as long as the UK inspection was pre-booked and then had to be in storage till V5 was issued
For the inspection of headlights, Speedo etc make sure the wording is exactly as the.form required otherwise it will be rejected and take another 3 weeks to be corrected, don't ask how I know that!
Good luck

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't forget the new vehicle tax ... that will add quite a lot to your purchase price UNLESS you get it registered at a higher classification, ie PHG rather than PLG ... BUT as I've not looked into this in detail I'm not sure whether you can or not!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
dependent on "B" it may be VAT free in Germany as an export and then you pay vat as it enters UK
That could also affect the road tax as cost could be inclusive of import costs to take it over £40K ?

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for the replies, starting to make better sense now. I'll ask the dealer about the VAT and what he might require to waive it. I assume it is the dealer who supplies the export plates and third party insurance? Does this cover me once back in the UK too or just to the tunnel/ferry?

Sorry if these are basic questions.. I'll get there!

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
Don't forget the new vehicle tax ... that will add quite a lot to your purchase price UNLESS you get it registered at a higher classification, ie PHG rather than PLG ... BUT as I've not looked into this in detail I'm not sure whether you can or not!

Didn't quite understand this?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Didn't quite understand this?
The first years VED is likely to be a whopping £2135 for a sub 3.5t van but only £165 if over 3.5t.

This thread discusses it

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I'm sure this has been covered so happy to be pointed to any relevant thread or external websites which can give me some clarification on what I have to do next.

So I bit the bullet and have ordered a Malibu PVC (Charming GT600) which should be ready for February 2020.This is my first new van and first time of importing so any help will be much appreciated. I've requested all the forms from DVLA to register the van in the UK which I hope is not going to be too complicated. The main things I could do with advice on are.. What is the position with VAT? The dealer I'm buying from (Herrmanns just north of Dusseldorf) seemed to think that if I paid the VAT in the UK and could prove this then he can charge me the net price - but I don't think I can pay the VAT until I've returned with the van home, is this correct or am I missing something here? I'm also unsure about what plates I drive it back on (European side and this side) and ditto for insurance. There's probably other questions I haven't even thought of yet!

I'm at the beginning of this journey and have a few months to get my head around everything but I'm keen to understand the procedure well in advance so all assistance and advice will be very much appreciated ?

Oh.. and I'm very exited ?

Thanks

Clive
Carlos will sort you out.
If he trusts you which I would think he would then he will let you bring your new van home on export plates which he will provide (takes 24hr) and then as soon as you have paid your vat you must send him the proof that he requires.
All very easy to do.
He’s a lovely chap to deal with and he makes a cracking cup of coffee.
If there’s anything else you need just message me and I’ll try and sort you out.

They are a very good company to deal with, my next van will definitely come from Carlos and the hab checks will be done in Mullheim too.

Rob

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
The first years VED is likely to be a whopping £2135 for a sub 3.5t van but only £165 if over 3.5t.

This thread discusses it

Having read all 6 pages I'm nine the wiser.. nor does it seem is anyone else, what a mess. Certainly will take the edge off things if I've got to stump up another 2 grand in road tax.

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
Carlos will sort you out.
If he trusts you which I would think he would then he will let you bring your new van home on export plates which he will provide (takes 24hr) and then as soon as you have paid your vat you must send him the proof that he requires.
All very easy to do.
He’s a lovely chap to deal with and he makes a cracking cup of coffee.
If there’s anything else you need just message me and I’ll try and sort you out.

They are a very good company to deal with, my next van will definitely come from Carlos and the hab checks will be done in Mullheim too.

Rob

Thanks for that, it was Carlos that I had been emailing prior to the show and whom I dealt with in Düsseldorf, I agree a really decent and confidence inducing chap ??

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having read all 6 pages I'm nine the wiser.. nor does it seem is anyone else, what a mess. Certainly will take the edge off things if I've got to stump up another 2 grand in road tax.
The road tax applies wherever you bought a new van from

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
The road tax applies wherever you bought a new van from
Yes, I accept that.. it's the confusion as to what the rules seem to be and potential amount I'll have to pay that pain's me ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I accept that.. it's the confusion as to what the rules seem to be and potential amount I'll have to pay that pain's me ?
If you find the confusion of road tax a pain, then you’ll just love the importation and registration costs
... not to mention the ongoing extra road tax for a few years ...

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Makes you wonder when the EU has been doing all these years, we've only had cellphones that work properly in europe for about a year.

Anyway, the DVLA are actually pretty good, just lookup, ask and you'll be fine. I think there's an option to pay VAT in either country, so if you pay it in germany I think (not 100% sure) you just need to prove it to the UK customs upon import.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As long as you have the converters certificate of Conformity and it does not have emission details on it and it’s over 3500kg it will be registered as PHGV and does not come into the luxury vehicles section.
Ours went through no problems last year.
Important that you DO NOT SEND THE BASE VEHICLE C.O.C as that has emissions on it.?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
VAT in either country, so if you pay it in germany I think (not 100% sure) you just need to prove it to the UK customs upon import
We had to pay German VAT then claim back after paying UK. In our case we actually gained from that by a couple of K don’t ask how as I don’t know, we just banked it and asked no questions. Bearing in mind we did a part exchange with our old van.?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
As Speve says, importing from Germany, you pay German vat and have it refunded by the dealer, once you have provided them with proof of having paid British vat.
Maybe things will have changed by the time you actually import yours, though. I hope Brexit doesn't make it any more difficult or expensive for you. :unsure:

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002

This thread discusses it

I've ordered it a 3.5 tonne but can up it to 4 tonne for an extra 500€. Would rather stay at the lower weight but if uprating it reduces the road tax then its an obvious thing to do.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've ordered it a 3.5 tonne but can up it to 4 tonne for an extra 500€. Would rather stay at the lower weight but if uprating it reduces the road tax then its an obvious thing to do.
Why would you rather be 3.5 ton?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You can uprate it cheaper than that unless this means they alter the chassis etc in the process, rather than it just being a paper exercise.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
You can uprate it cheaper than that unless this means they alter the chassis etc in the process, rather than it just being a paper exercise.
I would think it would need to be over 3500kg before it’s imported rather than do it later otherwise surely it would incur the expensive tax.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would think it would need to be over 3500kg before it’s imported rather than do it later otherwise surely it would incur the expensive tax.
I've just been doing a post on the new MH tax rates thread linked to earlier and from what I can tell new MHs no longer have 'weight' classifications as they are all classed as cars so it won't make any difference, the new levies will still be incurred.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back