LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just want to wish one of our Funsters Paul haganap all the best as he takes on the Iron man Challenge he has already swam 2.4 miles in open water he is now on a 112 mile bike ride before finishing with running a full Marathon.
Good Luck Paul I and total respect for the hard work and training you have put in.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good luck . That lot is enough to give anyone a heart attack. I couldn't complete 1 part let alone all 3

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Looks like the early weather is favourable Paul, remember your own words about fluids and sugars.best wishes for a successful conclusion.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck, I felt exhausted just reading about your challenge. Don’t think I could walk 2.4 miles never mind swim it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good luck Paul, you've done all the hard work in training so enjoy your day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just seen an update on his tracker that Paul has not completed the cycle section

No further information available, hope you are not injured Paul, totally exhausted I would expect

I am proud to know you , huge effort on your part to even get to the start

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
yes, I saw it too. Paul will probably be disappointed but we all know how hard he has worked and what tremendous respect we have for him. Please let us know you are not injured in any way, Paul.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Paul put in an amazing effort with a lot of dedicated training and gave it his all but sods law he had got a chest infection the week before and unfortunately the antibiotics did not see it off, so after the swim and a large part of the bike ride the infection decided to rear its head and put paid to Paul's huge amount of training.
Well done Paul proud of the effort you put in.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Seen a Facebook update from Paul, he is OK, but more than a little disappointed , turns out he was more poorly than he realised, then lost his fluids on a rough road section

He literally couldn’t go any further

We are all very proud of you Paul

Hope your recovery is quick

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Proud of you Paul. You put us all to shame ... know I could never have a hieved everything you have even when your age.

Please give him an extra hug from me, Niki.

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Well done Paul a magnificent effort, hope you get rid of the infection soon.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hello everybody and thank you for the kind words. Yes it's taken my until now to log back in literally. As seen, unfortunately I collapsed at mile 85 of a particularly hard bike course. I had been suffering a bit of a bad chest for a few weeks but a few days before it developed in to a rather bad infection. I kept it hidden from Nikki and most people (despite the coughing) and decide to go ahead anyway. I completed the 2.5 mile swim before heading out on the bike. The more I cycled the slower I seemed to get. I reached a point whereby I was coughing up goo and blood but just couldn't bring myself to stop. I then had the decision taken out of my hands when I collapsed and ended up Ambulanced and medical tented at Race HQ wired up to various machines.
However, they let me go out, drago35uk and Mrs Drago then forced me hands tied and gagged back to theirs for a nice curry and spot of alcohol.
A visit to the GP confirmed the fears and I had a raging Chest Infection that responded well to Anti Biotics.

Within 10 days I was back competing again and although I generally had not stopped crying for those 10 days and felt like shit emotionally.

What's a man do in these situations?

Well, simply, I have trained harder, come back stronger, upped my game physically and Mentally and now head to Vichy in France in 2 weeks to try again. Vichy will have it's different more unique challenges. Non wet-suit swim which is harder for sure, but probably the biggest challenge has to be the heat. Currently around 38 degrees although long range forecast is suggesting 29 and sunny.

I have a medical on Tuesday to check me over and check I am good to go this time as obviously for some reason my wife and close friends were a little concerned, but those friends of mine that know me know that this is "simply what I do"

So thanks for your support and hopefully next time I post it might be better news, but this last event has taught me just how tough this is.

ta for now.

'Til the roof comes off, till the lights go out
'Til my legs give out, can't shut my mouth.
'Til the smoke clears out and my high perhaps
I'm a rip this shit till my bone collapse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back