Absorber fridge and chimney effect. (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have been following a thread on LinerTreff essentially about compressor vs absorber fridges. It moved into a debate about the chimney effect and the difference between side wall mounted top vents and roof mounted top vents. In essence the consensus was that a roof mounted vent provided far superior venting and the need for fan assistance had become negligible for many. I had come to this conclusion previously, but they also debated the effect of an awning on the wall mounted vents and several commented on its detrimental effect. Interestingly we are on the Rhein at the moment, still in the Flair don't ask, and although its mid 20's here we have not put the awning out and the fridge and freezer are performing amazingly.
Michael

Reactions: DBK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Michael

I won’t ask, I could understand the roof vents working better and also the argument with awning affect, but saying that I usually try to cast a bit of shade on our fridge if it is hot but we do have a fan kit installed and it works fine.

Martin

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Inside the usual side fridge vent, the ceiling should slope upwards away and out from the condenser to encourage the hot air flow. Some vans don't and fans do help more then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Michael

I won’t ask, I could understand the roof vents working better and also the argument with awning affect, but saying that I usually try to cast a bit of shade on our fridge if it is hot but we do have a fan kit installed and it works fine.

Martin
The principal is that the awning stifles the air flow stopping the hot air rising in an effective flow to aid heat evacuation. But you knew that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back