Buying an imported van- is this a no go? (1 Viewer)

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We have seen a 2012 Rapido that I believe was imported in 2014. This is a private sale which I was planning to have a pre- purchase check done on.
However, everyone is busy so I have been given advice from one of the garages I contacted, this includes: make sure there is a service history, habitation check history.
The van has (I am told) full service history, cam belt 2 years ago and habitation check was done a few years ago but she is willing to have one done before we buy it.

BUT..... the garage said they would not advise buying an imported van as I couldn’t know what mileage or problems it had had before it was imported or if everything was genuine! Surely France/Germany have hpi etc checks also.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have personal imported more vans than I can remember and strangely enough never had a problem with any of them. Maybe am just lucky :). It does help when they were at least 25% cheaper in Germany.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Rubbish, all my vans I have imported.
Only real thing that is making sure it has had it's damp check probably only for the first 5 years, & the engine has been serviced. Habitation checks aren't worth the paper they are written on. Also worth checking the age of the tyres date code is usally on the inside wall, budget for new tyres if much over 5 years old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Thankyou all, the tyres are apparently nearly new. I’m on the Isle of Wight so won’t be seeing the van till the weekend and am trying to check what I can beforehand. (Just to be clear when I said we have ‘seen’ I mean viewed on the internet.)
Also, the van was manufactured in 2012 and registered in 2014 the people lived in France and brought it back with them, they have all the paperwork and for the uprating.
I will read through Jim’s buying guide(again) but any other advice is welcome.

Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Our first van was a 2006 model registered in uk 2008. Not imported by us, but we’re the first registered owners. It was a dethleff so German make. So not necessarily unusual to have 2 year gap. The warranty should start from first registration- well did on ours but we did have to argue the toss with Ford and get the dealer onto it too. Got full 3 years, don’t think that eu has same in eu. Do need to check

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You might struggle to get a main dealer to service or work on it. They don't like grey imports.
Worth getting insurance quotes as well for same reason.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It occurs to me that, along with all the paperwork, you should get the 'Certificate of Conformity' This is the official document that says that the vehicle is a motorhome and complies with the necessary legislation. It's apparently important.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It occurs to me that, along with all the paperwork, you should get the 'Certificate of Conformity' This is the official document that says that the vehicle is a motorhome and complies with the necessary legislation. It's apparently important.
I think its mostly important when you want to first register it in the UK but sounds like that was done years ago. I would say it will be no different to a UK model the most important thing will be do the people selling it look to have kept it well serviced and maintained. You could try getting a bit off on the grounds that its an import though!!!

Upvote 0

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
We have seen a 2012 Rapido that I believe was imported in 2014. This is a private sale which I was planning to have a pre- purchase check done on.
However, everyone is busy so I have been given advice from one of the garages I contacted, this includes: make sure there is a service history, habitation check history.
The van has (I am told) full service history, cam belt 2 years ago and habitation check was done a few years ago but she is willing to have one done before we buy it.

BUT..... the garage said they would not advise buying an imported van as I couldn’t know what mileage or problems it had had before it was imported or if everything was genuine! Surely France/Germany have hpi etc checks also.
Can't understand why a garage would give you such rubbish advise. No reason an imported van should be any worse as a second hand buy than a UK van. As for the habitation "check" that is often pushed as a "service" but isn't. That will only tell you if everything was in working order on the day the check was done, not much use 9 months later.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Take a damp meter with you..... check yourself.
Make sure all the heating, taps, fridge etc work...
Ask for proof of cambelt change... if no proof...take £500 off the price.
We imported our MY2011 A class Rapido in 2015. We put our private number on it when we registered it. When we sold, it was put onto a age related plate(11). We kept all the original paper work (coc form;)), and handed it all to dealer when we did the px. The dealer was more than happy, as he had sold before we had even got off The forecourt.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You might struggle to get a main dealer to service or work on it. They don't like grey imports.
Worth getting insurance quotes as well for same reason.
Never had a problem getting our vans serviced by a dealer also insurance not a problem, don’t know where you get your information but not quite right.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Comfort weren't happy at one time to insure vans you had imported yourself.
Dont know why as all foreign are imported by someone!.
Some dealers will only do warranty work on vans you have bought from them. Fact not fiction.
Talking to one dealer, 'I've got enough work looking after vans bought from me'.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort weren't happy at one time to insure vans you had imported yourself.
Dont know why as all foreign are imported by someone!.
Some dealers will only do warranty work on vans you have bought from them. Fact not fiction.
Talking to one dealer, 'I've got enough work looking after vans bought from me'.
I think you are being a bit alarmist Sue.
I've had 3 imported vans insured buy Comfort.
The van in question is 2012 dealers will have no qularms about doing work on it, when they can charge full price.
And it won't be any problem getting work done on the engine side.

Upvote 0

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
Take a damp meter with you..... check yourself.
Make sure all the heating, taps, fridge etc work...
Ask for proof of cambelt change... if no proof...take £500 off the price.
We imported our MY2011 A class Rapido in 2015. We put our private number on it when we registered it. When we sold, it was put onto a age related plate(11). We kept all the original paper work (coc form;)), and handed it all to dealer when we did the px. The dealer was more than happy, as he had sold before we had even got off The forecourt.

I do wish people advocating inexperienced buyers take a damp meter with them when inspecting vans would make the distinction of a “non-invasive” Damp Meter. I’d be none too impressed if I found someone pushing a pronged damp meter into the interior lining of my van.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I do wish people advocating inexperienced buyers take a damp meter with them when inspecting vans would make the distinction of a “non-invasive” Damp Meter. I’d be none too impressed if I found someone pushing a pronged damp meter into the interior lining of my van.

Not everyone is in the Stone Age. Uupp norf we are quite civilised you know. We even have a toilet outside.... ???
9855F289-BEC9-46C0-8D5A-09BDD3D14045.jpeg

About £40

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We didn't go for the Rapido in the end, it was a lovely well cared for van with lots of extras but my husband didn't like driving it. The insurance were fine with it. We have bought a Burstner Aviano. I tried to get most of the things people told me here but in the end it was such a stressful day ( money wouldn't clear and torrential rain) we were just glad to get it. However, we agreed 5 new tyres, new gasit fitted and filled, a solar panel and 4000kg revenue weight. We only got it yesterday so all new atm.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back