New Dethleffs Alpa I 7820 - delivery taken (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
After the trials and tribulations of getting to Germany, we have delivery and are on the road back to the UK.

Take into account this is our first vehicle, so apologies if I am stating obvious facts to some.

Many of the comments relate to points that have been raised by others, some of which relating to delivery and quality issues had me waking in cold sweats waiting for delivery.

INITIAL FEELINGS
Blown away by the general quality and construction. Finish and, fit of doors and cupboards is excellent. Absolutely loads of LED lighting, downlights, reading lights, floor lighting under and in cupboard areas and hanging wardrobes etc. USB sockets in lounge, at drop down cab bed and in the cab itself - 7 points in total.
230v to match as above.

Nothing missing that I have noticed - yet!

Everything works - so far.

It drives very, very well considering it only has 200 kilometers on the clock. Light to drive, pretty responsive, comfort attic box isn't a Jag F Pace by any means but not clear on what some are expecting?

Dealer was spot on. Slight delay in the money transfer at the receiving bank. No problem, take the vehicle and come back tomorrow, stay on the large car park if you wish, electric plugged in and provided.

Handover of 2-3 hours, went over points I wasn't clear about (mostly caused by a German/Geordie accent mismatch, demonstrated anything requested - like show me how to select a different satellite and demonstrate the electric drop down lounge table to make a bed if required and will you provide a set of steps so my other half can reach that oven without topping whatever is cooking all over herself. That tower is IMO ridiculous based on average female height - or is it a cunning an for the blokes to do the cooking? .

One slight niggle to me is the wood effect flooring. Where the lift up access hatches are the pattern doesn't follow through. It's a pity as I suspect it would be a relatively easy thing to get right and would make such a difference visually. On the other hand if that is the only issue I get.......

I will update as we get more experiences - good and bad no doubt.

The thing that stopped me in my tracks was the bloody size of it! We looked at it in Dusseldorf and believe me it didn't look that big! Had a few spins around their car park to get the feel of it and then threaded it between 7 or 8 new vehicles to fill with water. Didn't realise until I was in that the only way out was to reverse. Not sure who had the squeakiest bum, me or the dealer who was watching.

IMG_20190515_132353.jpg
IMG_20190515_211840.jpg
IMG_20190516_081953.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Great adventure for your first van, Enjoy(y)

If it makes you feel any better it is not actually that easy to match the pattern on floor hatches.

Who is your dealer?

Martin

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Funny this thread should crop up. I'm just in the process of looking at this very model. Looks like an excellent choice of motorhome, cracking layout and looks stunning too. I'd be interested to know your thoughts as things progress.

Is it the 2.3 180hp?

REALLY jealous!

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Great adventure for your first van, Enjoy(y)

If it makes you feel any better it is not actually that easy to match the pattern on floor hatches.

Who is your dealer?

Martin

Hi Martin

It's Klein near Bremen, seem to have a big fleet if hire vans (70+) all Dethleffs I think including the Alpa I and the Alpa A which surprised me.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Funny this thread should crop up. I'm just in the process of looking at this very model. Looks like an excellent choice of motorhome, cracking layout and looks stunning too. I'd be interested to know your thoughts as things progress.

Is it the 2.3 180hp?

REALLY jealous!

Yes, the 180, it was uprated to 5400 and I thought (and took opinion from MHF) that anything less may be pushing it.

Neil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Beautiful van and congratulations. May I just suggest that the awning should be supported when wound out that far (unless a new design). All three vans I bought the handover made that very clear, to avoid strain on the hinges. Wind out halfway, support and then wind out the the full extent. Thanks

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations and enjoy your travels
That’s a magnificent MH!(y)

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Having your awning out that far with no legs isnt good

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Beautiful van and congratulations. May I just suggest that the awning should be supported when wound out that far (unless a new design). All three vans I bought the handover made that very clear, to avoid strain on the hinges. Wind out halfway, support and then wind out the the full extent. Thanks
Agreed, also to @Tude for slapping my wrists. It was silly, put it down to naivety of a learner!

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
It looks smashing! Glad your happy!

Enjoy!!! Xxx.

When you’ve had enough, I’ll give you £1.00 a week!! Cash! Xx

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Agreed, also to @Tude for slapping my wrists. It was silly, put it down to naivety of a learner!
No worries..... Make sure that you get the tie down straps and big pegs, Fiamma and Omnistore both do them specific for the awning. Better safe than sorry. (y)

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Looks the Dogs B*****ks, enjoy and welcome to the Dethleffs club you wont be disappointed (y)

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Lovely looking van!! Enjoy! Happy travels.

Did you take any optional extra's?

Watch out for @ianthebuilder offering £1 a week for it:whistle::whistle:
Errm - yes but I sort of lost track half way through the process. It is so difficult comparing apples with apples as the UK base spec is very different to the German/Belgian or Netherlands specs.

It has uprated weight, auto, 180. Electric pack with inverter and larger dual batteries, dual solar, etc. Leather is in there and an entertainment pack and could have gone on and on but it was getting to more spending more than I was comfortable with. Paint job and self levelling were missed for good or bad - who knows?

To be honest I think some of that is UK spec but it seems so long since I went through the exercise I would need to look at the data again.

The basic outcome was it was far more cost efficient to buy abroad which is a pity as I would much prefer to spend the same amount in the UK and support employment - is there is something fundamentally wrong in this industry.?

For 30 years we (the UK) have been accused of underselling or under valuing healthcare product (a market I work in) compared to the other EU countries. Its certainly not the case with motorhomes!

Is or will it be value for money? I think so, as I've not looked forward to something as much since I was 10!

I've lost too many friends from age 50+ onwards to worry about can we afford it or should we not 'put it away for a rainy day' or what about the kids (who are 30+ and both more than OK in their own right)

Why is it its always the good and decent who leave early and not some of the. Tossers who seem to be getting away with murder, literally as well as.....?

We've both grafted hard for 50 years (well I have lol) and want to enjoy some time before:
A: we are too old
B: we are too decrepit
C: some shit happens health wise to stop us
D: The effin tax man gets it
E: All of the above

A long rant over a simple question - apologies @namwaldog

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Errm - yes but I sort of lost track half way through the process. It is so difficult comparing apples with apples as the UK base spec is very different to the German/Belgian or Netherlands specs.

It has uprated weight, auto, 180. Electric pack with inverter and larger dual batteries, dual solar, etc. Leather is in there and an entertainment pack and could have gone on and on but it was getting to more spending more than I was comfortable with. Paint job and self levelling were missed for good or bad - who knows?

To be honest I think some of that is UK spec but it seems so long since I went through the exercise I would need to look at the data again.

The basic outcome was it was far more cost efficient to buy abroad which is a pity as I would much prefer to spend the same amount in the UK and support employment - is there is something fundamentally wrong in this industry.?

For 30 years we (the UK) have been accused of underselling or under valuing healthcare product (a market I work in) compared to the other EU countries. Its certainly not the case with motorhomes!

Is or will it be value for money? I think so, as I've not looked forward to something as much since I was 10!

I've lost too many friends from age 50+ onwards to worry about can we afford it or should we not 'put it away for a rainy day' or what about the kids (who are 30+ and both more than OK in their own right)

Why is it its always the good and decent who leave early and not some of the. Tossers who seem to be getting away with murder, literally as well as.....?

We've both grafted hard for 50 years (well I have lol) and want to enjoy some time before:

Nicely said

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Nicely said(y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It's OK...........................;)

.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well @Bustup15 with a bit of what you have saved importing you can splash some cash on hydraulic levellers with Mick at SAP down in Doncaster.

Martin

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Well @Bustup15 with a bit of what you have saved importing you can splash some cash on hydraulic levellers with Mick at SAP down in Doncaster.

Martin
Martin, its on a list of "wants", we"re heading to @eddievanbitz on Monday for alarm and.tracker, then registration so no big rush.

Currently just north of

Martin
Hi Martin, they.are on a list of wants that is growing by the minute! En-route to @eddievanbitz for alarm and tracker fitting on Monday.

Neil

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Currently north of Dortmund heading to the tunnel.

Any suggestions for decent stops that won't take us far off route to be at tunnel for Sunday morning?

Thanks

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Any suggestions for decent stops that won't take us far off route to be at tunnel for Sunday morning?

Download CamperContact and/or Park4Nite apps to your phone. Only you will know, at this stage, what facilities you need.
There is a nice Aire at Watten alongside the canal and about 1 hour from the tunnel. Or you could even stay at Cite Europe where you will probably see some other Funsters.
Safe trip.

Barry

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Inside piccies please. That does look loverly! Our first van was a dethleffs, good quality, however now have Hobby, nothing, has dropped off, broken at first use or subsequent uses, on either of them.
Lucky you.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Really nice MH .. Awning looks massive and NO LEGS hate to think of the stresses on the bodywork .. As has already been said .. Not a good idea leaving the awning without the legs down. When they are down they need to be fastened to the ground as a sudden gust could have it over the top and it does make a mess when it gets to the other side.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Congtats. Lovely looking van.
Entirely agree with your sentiments. Good friend of ours just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. Get on and enjoy it. Best of luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back