Electric vehicles emit more CO2 than diesel ones (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
CHECK OUT HYDROGEN AS A POWER SOURCE. Back in 1963 in Gibraltar, I met a young university student whose course/thesis/paper was to run a motor car fueled by Hydrogen. He had a normal car running, his only problem was getting the car to create enough hydrogen as it continued to run. Check out Hydrogen as a power source, it is clean energy created by electrolysis of water and has zero emissions. Considering this chap had it working back then - 1963, imagine how far it would have progressed by now if his discovery/invention had been followed up. He took his work as far as he could and sold the prototype to Shell. But of course back then we really had no idea of the implications of climate change and emissions etc.

My friend has a company which is running trials in hydrogen powered vehicles ... http://ulemco.com/?p=2511

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Wow, so many old fossils in here I think motorhome fun can open a museum.
Climate change is man made, it is real and electric cars over their life time do not produce more co2 than their internal combustion engined equivalents.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I recently looked at changing my Euro 6 diesel to a plug in hybrid, but concluded I don't do enough miles to justify the additional and hefty premium to buy a PHEV. I estimated that there must be at least a 30-50% hit for the extra costs of batteries and electric motors. So until there is parity I won't be going this route. A cheaper hybrid, not plug-in, won't help me much because I live in a semi-rural location, without the need to do anywhere near as much braking as you would in an urban setting. The technology still has a way to go. So I'll be keeping my diesel for a bit longer, I think.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It’s very good in London to be honest.

But. non-existent out here in the "sticks". 2 Busses a WEEK, and in some places None at all ever.

It’s a bit like saying wind turbines do not create a carbon footprint.

Their C-F is actually quite high. And like much else nobody considers the pollution created in the design and construction.

CHECK OUT HYDROGEN AS A POWER SOURCE. Back in 1963 in Gibraltar, I met a young university student whose course/thesis/paper was to run a motor car fueled by Hydrogen. He had a normal car running, his only problem was getting the car to create enough hydrogen as it continued to run. Check out Hydrogen as a power source, it is clean energy created by electrolysis of water and has zero emissions. Considering this chap had it working back then - 1963, imagine how far it would have progressed by now if his discovery/invention had been followed up. He took his work as far as he could and sold the prototype to Shell. But of course back then we really had no idea of the implications of climate change and emissions etc.

It`s been well known, for decades that Hydrogen was underestimated as a fuel source. Part of the issue IMHO, is that every time anyone says Hydrogen, the thoughts turn to the Hindenburg. At which point the subject is closed. And I too suspect the research has never been pursued due to self interest by the big OIL consortia. The current issue over Hydrogen is still that producing it takes more power than it releases. Battery technology is still not anywhere near the stage where it can be thoroughly viable. And still requires rare(ish) elements, for both the batteries and the high efficiency motors, which have to be mined/created at great cost and are hard, and not cheap nor easy to properly dispose of.

In my view the diesel engine will be around for along time yet, despite what the tree huggers wish!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Battery technology is still not anywhere near the stage where it can be thoroughly viable. And still requires rare(ish) elements, for both the batteries and the high efficiency motors, which have to be mined/created at great cost and are hard, and not cheap nor easy to properly dispose of.

My thoughts exactly, the next environmental problem will be "What do we do with millions of tonnes of worn out lithium batteries?" at least petrol and diesel engines burn thier waste. Neat :cool:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My thoughts exactly, the next environmental problem will be "What do we do with millions of tonnes of worn out lithium batteries?" at least petrol and diesel engines burn thier waste. Neat :cool:

Yes, nobody thought ahead over "plastic" did they?. It is now probably a bigger problem that (alleged) global warming.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The recovery company have just arrived at my next door neighbours for the 14th time in 15 months. His hybrid heap won't start AGAIN. How much time and fuel has been used to come out to this modern day myth of electric power. It won't start on the petrol engine unless the batteries are charged. His dealer cannot give him an answer to the problem.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Why not a hydrogen powered Stirling engine, simple, reliable and cheap.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
...... and incredibly inefficient.
But clean and hydrogen can be stored unlike electricity. The Swedes have powered a submarine with one, good engineers the Swedes.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Why don't we all live near where we work, and walk it? That would take a huge amount of traffic off the roads (n)

Definitely!

Or work from home more, as I used to do. The office building should be obsolete thanks to modern IT, but has a lot to do with the bosses' lack of trust in and desire for close surveillance of their workers. The prestige office block is a palace dedicated to control freakery. It also is an expression of corporate wealth, hierarchy, and power. It is to big business what cathedrals are to religion.

Flying long distances to meetings or conferences is another practice that needs culling. My first transatlantic video conference with other lawyers, and related deposition taking, was in about 1990. Huge cost-saving.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Definitely!

Or work from home more, as I used to do. The office building should be obsolete thanks to modern IT, but has a lot to do with the bosses' lack of trust in and desire for close surveillance of their workers. The prestige office block is a palace dedicated to control freakery. It also is an expression of corporate wealth, hierarchy, and power. It is to big business what cathedrals are to religion.

Flying long distances to meetings or conferences is another practice that needs culling. My first transatlantic video conference with other lawyers, and related deposition taking, was in about 1990. Huge cost-saving.
How is Ian going to build extension in his van. Hah

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But clean and hydrogen can be stored unlike electricity. The Swedes have powered a submarine with one, good engineers the Swedes.
I didn't mean the fuel! Hydrogen works well in an ICE with zero emissions (don't count water!).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes, nobody thought ahead over "plastic" did they?. It is now probably a bigger problem that (alleged) global warming.

Tell us more about the "alleged" bit ...

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Tell us more about the "alleged" bit ...

Hmm!. The alleged bit, How long have you got?. Short version, Claims of so called global warming?. Being as I am a total cynic, when a certain US Ex vice president decided he could extend his gravy train years by bandwagoning on this "new" idea?. Most of the Scientists are in the pockets of "Interested Parties" (the source of their "funding) So how come the planet as been through several phases of Ice to Heat?. How come the Thames froze in the 1500`s? or that we have even this far north experienced periods of drought?. The movement of the Planet on it` axis, has occurred periodically altering the angle from which the Sun strikes various parts of the planet?. So why all of a sudden is it "Man`s" fault?. Why.? because just like speed camera's it is a source of taxation!, every effort by government(s) is Tax based.!.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hmm!. The alleged bit, How long have you got?. Short version, Claims of so called global warming?. Being as I am a total cynic, when a certain US Ex vice president decided he could extend his gravy train years by bandwagoning on this "new" idea?. Most of the Scientists are in the pockets of "Interested Parties" (the source of their "funding) So how come the planet as been through several phases of Ice to Heat?. How come the Thames froze in the 1500`s? or that we have even this far north experienced periods of drought?. The movement of the Planet on it` axis, has occurred periodically altering the angle from which the Sun strikes various parts of the planet?. So why all of a sudden is it "Man`s" fault?. Why.? because just like speed camera's it is a source of taxation!, every effort by government(s) is Tax based.!.

So you've no evidence that it isn't taking place, just scepticism? Just the thought that it is a tax and that thousands of gullible scientists have fallen for the "hoax" and have convinced politicians that they should take action and, being capitalist pigs, the politicians are taxing us. Um... I wonder how many qualified climate experts agree with this view ... not many, because as they have sumarised, the rate of climate change, linked to CO2 emissions is far faster than evidence of changes in the past.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So you've no evidence that it isn't taking place, just scepticism? Just the thought that it is a tax and that thousands of gullible scientists have fallen for the "hoax" and have convinced politicians that they should take action and, being capitalist pigs, the politicians are taxing us. Um... I wonder how many qualified climate experts agree with this view ... not many, because as they have sumarised, the rate of climate change, linked to CO2 emissions is far faster than evidence of changes in the past.

Perhaps thermometers were really rubbish in the past :rolleyes:
I mean in the stone ages they must have just been guessing (n):oops:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I wonder how many qualified climate experts agree with this view

Err?. When they, and our "politicians" line up to have "selfies" taken with a 16 years old, still "wet behind the ears". The Credibility gap is getting a bit too wide for my taste. Politicians will take any road to keep their positions, Lying is their "stock in trade". As example the continuing sabotaging of B8888t.

"Experts" are people who are best treated with a healthy scepticism. Take health, We have "experts" changing their minds over many aspects, e.g. Measles is on the increase, as much due to some "expert" having said the Vaccination is unsafe, and leading to a decline in the take-up of the protection which almost eliminated the disease. And that is just one example of many.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I didn't mean the fuel! Hydrogen works well in an ICE with zero emissions (don't count water!).
But where do you get the hydrogen from. Two routes, the most common one is steam reforming of natural gas which emits large amounts of carbon in the process OR electrolosys which is very inefficient requiring huge amounts of electricity. Where does the electricity come from for either process?

Hydrogen is not the answer...

It may be part of the overall solution but it is not THE answer and is certainly not the answer for normal cars.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you think about it The Flintstones had the right idea on cars.

The bodywork was fashioned from natural stone and it was powered via your legs.

Zero emissions and good exercise too.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Err?. When they, and our "politicians" line up to have "selfies" taken with a 16 years old, still "wet behind the ears". The Credibility gap is getting a bit too wide for my taste. Politicians will take any road to keep their positions, Lying is their "stock in trade". As example the continuing sabotaging of B8888t.

"Experts" are people who are best treated with a healthy scepticism. Take health, We have "experts" changing their minds over many aspects, e.g. Measles is on the increase, as much due to some "expert" having said the Vaccination is unsafe, and leading to a decline in the take-up of the protection which almost eliminated the disease. And that is just one example of many.

So the whole credibility gap is too wide because a 16 year old points out that Governments are doing too little to tackle climate change? What would you say if she had the audacity to tell you that the world is not flat?

One discredited scientist makes a false link between vaccinations and autism and hundreds of thousands of gullible people stop their kids from being vaccinated ... that isn't "experts changing their mind" it is the power of social media and the stupidity of some people.

Over 90% of climate scientists reporting that climate change is caused by human activity? They can't all be stupid or gullible.

But hey, don't worry about it because it is just a tax ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back