Rear ended (1 Viewer)

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No
Just started new claim after been rear ended at stand still by a impatient swedish motorist
Police Sa y clear off fault van a burstner nexxo 265 looks like it needs whole back panel
Chassis rea cross member probably things I can see .
What's the chances off me getting a decent repair underwritten byLV

Reactions: Vic

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would expect a good result.
The other driver hit you and was negligent.
Technically driving too close to stop in my view.
Police aren't interested if nobody hurt, they leave it to those involved to sort out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have said this so many times.

Do not make a claim on own insurer. Claim of the responsible driver. Let him/her claim on their 3rd party cover.

Notify your insurer 'for information only, not a claim'. If unsuccessful with claim off 3rd party one can always claim off own insurer later.

Geoff

OP
OP
G

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No

Do not make a claim on own insurer. Claim of the responsible driver. Let him/her claim on their 3rd party cover.

Notify your insurer 'for information only, not a claim'. If unsuccessful with claim off 3rd party one can always claim off own insurer later.

Geoff

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

Geoff

I’m not sure I follow your thinking here, you have to inform your insurance company about any incident, once you do, that alone can impact on your future premiums, irrespective of whether a claim is submitted or not.

OP
OP
G

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No
It's going to a firm in torance nr glasgow for assesment and repair hopefully just even we get it empty and ready to go

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’m not sure I follow your thinking here, you have to inform your insurance company about any incident, once you do, that alone can impact on your future premiums, irrespective of whether a claim is submitted or not.

One does not have much control over premiums any insurance company quotes, with or without any accident.

However, I think that an insurance company that gave the reason for an increase based on loss of NCD in these circumstances would lead to a complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman.

Likewise if one went to another insurer and the current one refused to confirm a NCD a complaint to the Ombudsman could also be made.

Geoff

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's going to a firm in torance nr glasgow for assesment and repair hopefully just even we get it empty and ready to go
Is it Ferrymill Motors in Torrance that it's going in to? Didn't know they were an approved motorhome repairer, thought they mainly did buses \ coaches, but could be of interest in future, if required. Would be interested in knowing how you get on.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Your claim isn't limited to the cost of repairs to your MH.

Don't forget out-of-pocket expenses, and if reasonably necessary, cost of hire of a similar MH while yours is in the workshop.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Had similar 18 months ago
look at my thread Rear end shunt by FIDGET
Mine was all sorted , accepted right off money , all sorted in six weeks

OP
OP
G

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No
Tomorrow should learn what's going to happen to motorhome repair or write off it needs a back panel and
Offside side panel chasis straitened rear bumper and lights and lots off other bits and pieces the side panel
Is not avalible but garage can repair it so it's up to insurance engineer.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We had a bump in a Garage Forecourt a few years back. I was filling up with diesel when the MH moved. A guy in an E-Type had decided he couldn't wait overtook the queue and tried to get down the gap in the middle to the empty pump. He did £2500 worth of damage to the MH but he was more interested in his E-Type and the damage to the bonnet.

When I contacted his Insurance Company they offered me the loan of a van while it was sorted. I then pointed out it was a 7.9m MH. They suggested something like Alans Bodywork Repairs who they assured me were very good. I rang the guy and asked about the size only to be told that they only did small van repairs and no way could they get anything that size in the Body Shop.

Eventually I found a local Company that did a really great job. Took Brownhills two months to get round to ordering the parts and then tell the repairers that Swift were on holiday.

I used S & L Automotive for the repairs and the called and collected the MH and then delivered it back when it was done. They collect MHs from all over the Country. It was great as it had all been cleaned inside and out. We did have trouble with the silicone sealer they used going off white so I phoned them. Sent them a couple of pictures and they came and collected it and returned it a week later all sorted. During the repair they were very good and were always chasing Brownhills. I did at one point suggest they try Lowdhams but he reckoned they were even worse because they only want to do these jobs themselves.

Don't just take it anywhere to be sorted these Insurance Companies don't have a clue about the repairers they use. They just do deals with a few who get all the work and give them a decent discount.

S & L Website www.slautomotiveltd.co.uk

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No
Q 4 thanks for that the motorhome has been written off the chap who run into it at speed admitted all liability his insurance have settled the claim including my exess out of pocket expenses etc plus they will have a medical claim plus some compensation .
Please folks don't be using your mobile phone when driving. And thanks to the fort william police and staff off a&e at Belford hospital fort william + the ambulance guys who looked after my wife so well .

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
One does not have much control over premiums any insurance company quotes, with or without any accident.

However, I think that an insurance company that gave the reason for an increase based on loss of NCD in these circumstances would lead to a complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman.

Likewise if one went to another insurer and the current one refused to confirm a NCD a complaint to the Ombudsman could also be made.

Geoff
As soon as you have accidental damage to your vehicle claim or not, you should inform your insurance company. Yes I know not many of us would inform an insurance company if no claim resulted from accidental damage. However if the insurance company found out after you tried to claim on a policy when you had not declared an accident to them whether there was a claim or not, they will be perfectly entitled not to pay your claim. You must disclose all accidents when taking out a motor insurance policy. When you re-new your insurance after an accident you will be asked if there have been any claims/accidents. It is irrelevant if your NCD was affected or not and if it was your fault or not. If you have an accident your insurance will most likely increase a fault claim will obviously load your premium more than a non fault

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back