Remoska Recipe's and Tips (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I finally made up my mind and bought a Remoska, the standard one from Alza which has arrived. I have also purchased the recipe book and am awaiting delivery of that . The Remoska appears a sturdy little device and I am looking forward to using it both in the motorhome and at home. I know there are lots of people who have purchased a Remoska so I thought it would be good idea for us to share recipes and tips. Given the number of people who use them there must be a wealth of information out there, let's share it.

Pleas post you recipe's and tips below.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think there is a thread running already.(y)(y)(y)
Yes there are several that mention Remoska and one or two items on cooking specific things. However iv’e seen none just where people can share recipes. Which is what I hope this one will turn into. We shall see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Toad in a hole - brown your sausages, then pour in batter mix. You really need to eat as soon as cooked because if you switch it off it creates steam and you will end up with a deflated Yorkshire.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Please Don't build up your hopes on The Remoska Recipe Book, if its the same one we bought last year as some meals are very strange:eek:
You will soon get the hang of how it works in heating from the top lid at 190 C it gets very hot be careful where you place the lid when turned upside down as it will still burn your worktop.
We use ours at home as well as in the van for large Jacket Potatoes 1-1.15 hours, Toad in the hole 20mins after pouring in batter put tin foil disk on top of batter mix to stop it sticking to the lid catching and getting burnt.
Roast Spatch cock chicken with veg and pots, pork & lamb chops, loads of things are great to cook in the van when on hook up.
Before someone else says it....Yes I know they can be run off an inverter, when not on hook up, but I aint got one yet.:(
Les

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
This is a bit of a faff to make but it's Glenn's favourite :whistle:
Put some oil in and heat the pan up. Remoskas are a bit slow to get going but are quite quick once they're up to temperature. Put potatoes in and roast until crispy, add parboiled broccoli raw salmon soft boiled eggs cover in cheese sauce. Drizzle some oil over some bread crumbs or small bread cubes and scatter on top.
Cook until the salmon is cooked ( about 15 mins ) and the croutons are crispy.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You certainly won't need the Remoska cook book if you have any knowledge in the kitchen, the Remoska is just a small oven, so just treat it like one and you will be fine.

We have cooked loads of different foods in ours, to protect the pan we have a pyrex flan dish in the bottom, when cooking chicken breasts we usually make a tin foil envelope place chicken breast inside with a knob of butter, some garlic, white wine and or some Pernod.
Cook for 1 hr with what whatever extras you fancy, veg, rice or potatoes.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Had my first attempt last night. I put in four chicken thighs and some par boiled potatoes all coated in a little oil. I had to drain off the chicken juices and fat half way through cooking so next time I will use the rack to keep the food out of it. The chicken was well browned and tasty and the roast potatoes a nice dark golden brown which I like. Actually the result was as good , if not better than my domestic oven although the cooking time was longer, around one hour and thirty minutes.

I think the longer time was my fault. I had allowed the potatoes to go cold after par boiling and I probably should not have done. Also next time I will seal off and lightly brown the chicken in a pan first. That was everything going in will have already started cooking and if I pre warm the Remoska that will help too.

Thanks for your replies. I look forward to more recipes and tips.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You can preheat the Remoska but do not leave it for long with nothing inside, and please please be aware of the very hot lid! Keep the electric lead away from it and watch where you put the lid if you put it down!

One of our favourites is-
Put any prepped root veg you like in pan, remove skin from Chicken thighs & put them on top of veg, (you can add a small amount of liquid or tomatoes) turn Remoska on leave to cook, near the end-check to see if pots etc are soft and chick cooked-add any green veg like courgettes or whatever.
When finally cooked use a slotted spoon to lift food out and stir a bit of thickening (I use gravy granules) into jus left in pan.

I have a cooks blowtorch that is handy for browning.

You can reheat just about anything including left over chips.
Bought meat pies work well.
The Remoska runs at about 190° so really anything that will cookin an oven anywhere between 180° & 200° will work.
Put ‘Remoska User Recipes’ into Google, there are quite a few there inc some of mine!
Imagination is a great thing when cooking and the Remoska won’t let you down.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
make sure your remoska is good and hot before putting the food in, it does say not to use when empty but i put a miniscule amount of oil or water in sometimes. The recipe book (lakeland one) suggets you brown stuff in a pan first I don't bother with that either it's just one more pan to wash. haven't baked in mine but have done lots of other stuff same as i would in an oven, a favourite is potatoes and carrots on the bottom and when almost done put some fish wrapped in foil on top. I usually add some mercadona bechamel sauce to the veg, plus whatever flavouring i fancy,hope you get as much use out of it as I get out of our 2.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Tartiflette or Gratin Savoyard.

1 pint full cream milk
I tsp oil
1 garlic clove
2lb waxy potatoes
2 shallots finely sliced
2 rashes smoked streaky bacon
150 g Gruyer/Emental
salt
pepper
Nutmeg
5 tbsp double cream.
knob of butter

Slice the potatoes thinly and add them to a saucepan with the peeled garlic clove and milk. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook untie the potatoes are soft.

Meanwhile fry the bacon and shallots together until they are soft.

Butter the Remoska or a baking dish which will easily fit, remove the garlic clove then use a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to the Remoska in layers interspersed with the bacon and shallots finishing with a layer of potatoes on top.

Grate the cheese and sprinkle over the potato mixture then spoon over the cream and season with a salt and pepper and a little grated nutmeg.

Bake in the Remoska until golden brown on top (about 40 mins)

There is a similar recipe in the Remoska book but I prefer the edition of bacon and shallots. This is great eaten hot but also good cold with a salad. This is the Tartiflet served in France or if the bacon and shallots are left out and Reblochon cheese which is similar Emental or Gruyer is used its called Gratin Sayoyard. I have made it several times in a conventional oven but the Remoska does a great job.

Very tasty but very rich. This recipe will serve four people.

Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
We got ours last year but only starting using it last month. We got some Tesco frozen croissants and maple plaits for this weekend and popped them in for about 30 minutes. The standard Remoska only does three items at a time but we were really impressed. We also cooked a steak pie in it and also a Charlie Bighams Thai Red Curry which came out really well. Amazing bit of kit, got ours from Alza with a discount as well.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
TOAD IN THE HOLE
REMOSKA

Try this with a 'Cumberland' ring.
Ingredients
56 g plain flour. (Type 45/55 in France)
125ml milk
1 egg
Precook sausages in Remoska lift out, pour in batter, replace sausages, cook.

CHICKEN THIGHS ON VEG.
Prepare veg, peel, chop or slice-
Potatoes, onion, garlic, carrot, parsnip, leeks, courgette and place in Remoska.
You can use Chick thighs, boneless or otherwise, or legs or quarters but remove the skin.
Place Chicken on top of veg add very small amount of liquid-water/wine-don’t put too much liquid in as the veg will create liquid.
When Chicken is cooked thru (about 40-60 mins) lift all out and thicken jus, I use gravy granules, add extra Liguria if not enough left behind.
It is a very easy supper.

You can bake a cake, I use a sprung cake tin inside the Remoska but I use a layer of PTFE material to stop the Remoska pan getting scratched.
When cooking cakes or reheating a pastry pie or similar use a disc of a couple of layers of foil toward the end of cooking time to prevent burning.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
When warming things up, especially pastry etc, place a disk of tin foil over the food, when cooked, remove foil to brown off, but dont turn your back on it 5 mins only, as you will end up with a black over toasted pastry pie lid.
Also if doing Yorkshires or Toad in The hole, always use foil or baking parchment, as the Yorkshire mix will rise up and get stuck onto the heating element lid, spoiling the dish.
I learnt this the hard way.
LES
PS: its such a shame there is no temp control on The Remoska, some dishes would be better if they were slower cooked over a longer period.

Apr 7, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e line
Exp
I have just purchased the 2L but in the van,in storage at the mo so can't try it out, I am presuming it gets hot enough for Yorkies ? as I do them at 230 at home then turn down to 200 after 5 mins seems to work really well on my home oven, would love to get some Yorkies tips as soggy ones are not pleasant .

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
they do work , but use the remoska recipe,not your usual one.

rahpos

Free Member
Jun 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Use a caravan
I have just purchased the 2L but in the van,in storage at the mo so can't try it out, I am presuming it gets hot enough for Yorkies ? as I do them at 230 at home then turn down to 200 after 5 mins seems to work really well on my home oven, would love to get some Yorkies tips as soggy ones are not pleasant .
Hi so agree about soggy yorkies. If anyone comes up with good idea I would be eternally grateful if you would copy me in! This is my only failure with my Remoskas. Cheers!

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi so agree about soggy yorkies. If anyone comes up with good idea I would be eternally grateful if you would copy me in! This is my only failure with my Remoskas. Cheers!
Not tried this but just a thought whilst reading your post. Have you maybe tried using something like a silicon cupcake case?

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I use my usual recipe for yorkshire pudding in the remoska (small pan, half pint milk etc) Biggest problem is that top can singe, needs a bit of foil, but that means lifting lid! As long as foil is ready and placed speedily, it doesnt sink!
Somewhere I read that you should use the remoska recipe for Yorkshire pud, but I have never found the recipe.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
I have now used my remoska to bake, have made scones, plain and cheese and also a gingercake, thought at first cake wasn't going to work, it is a moist cake, but after it being really runny it cooked nicely with bit of foil over the top. have also made apple crumble, rhubard crumble and an apple cake. Wish I had never found out about the baking ;) :ROFLMAO:

Nov 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Static Caravan
I notice people are saying to heat it up first, I haven't come across this in my Recipe Books but what l have noticed is when making the most delicious Rice Pudding I have ever made, you have to steep the Arborio Rice in Boiling Water for 10 minutes, which l did in the Remoska itself, when l drained the Rice the Remoska was lovely and warm. Looks like heating with 2 inches of boiling water for a few minutes could be the way to go.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I notice people are saying to heat it up first, I haven't come across this in my Recipe Books but what l have noticed is when making the most delicious Rice Pudding I have ever made, you have to steep the Arborio Rice in Boiling Water for 10 minutes, which l did in the Remoska itself, when l drained the Rice the Remoska was lovely and warm. Looks like heating with 2 inches of boiling water for a few minutes could be the way to go.
Somewhere I have come across the idea of putting a small bowel of water in the pan and heating for a few minutes. I guess it depends what you are cooking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back