HELP Fridge Problem (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Checking van over for 1st trip after being stood for 5 months everything normal until I plug electrics ready to put food in fridge keeps blowing leci in house so try on 12 volt still not working but working fine on gas van is on level so obviously electric short Is their anything I can check before I get a electrician thanks for any comments

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I am no mechanic or anything but recently we had trouble with our electric and it was the connection on the back of a socket in the under seat by passengers seat. This caused our electric to stop working, just a thought.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I would check both ends of the hookup cable to see if the wires are still properly connected first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.
Checking van over for 1st trip after being stood for 5 months everything normal until I plug electrics ready to put food in fridge keeps blowing leci in house so try on 12 volt still not working but working fine on gas van is on level so obviously electric short Is their anything I can check before I get a electrician thanks for any comments

Hiya Sally. This may sound like a dumb suggestion but I was watching a fulltimer vlog recently and the guy in the vid had fridge problems too. He had a fix for it, he removed the fridge, took it outside and turned it upside down. He left it like that for 30 minutes or so then put the fridge back in position to stand (switched off,) for 24 hours. After that the fridge worked again.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
As above, possibly the hook up cable. Try boiling a kettle or running something off the 240v sockets in the van, this way you can either confirm or discount the fridge as the problem.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Try things one at a time. Switch everything off in the van that is mains driven, if no switch then unplug. Turn the 240 breakers off in the van. Unplug the mains lead both ends.
Now plug the mains lead in at house end, has house "blown?"
If not pkug into van. Check house.
Continue by turning on 1 breaker in van, has house blown?
Hopefully you will find what is causing house issue.
Turn on one item at a time until you find the problem.

When you say house blown is this a fuse , perhaps a mcb or the house rcd?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks all for replies everything works fine on electric but as soon asi witch fridge on it all blows so definitely in fridge did wash the van few days ago wonder if water got in as got no vent covers is it possible to disconnect clean and reconnect wires from outside bottom vent?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks all for replies everything works fine on electric but as soon asi witch fridge on it all blows so definitely in fridge did wash the van few days ago wonder if water got in as got no vent covers is it possible to disconnect clean and reconnect wires from outside bottom vent?

Yes, usually.

Make sure you disconnect the mains cable before prodding around in there though.

Ian

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
If the fridge mains element has failed and is causing the mains to trip then just don't use the fridge on Mains electric. It should still work fine on gas when you are away and on 12 volts when you are driving along. We managed fine like that in our van until we could get an engineer to repair it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Fridge on works on 12v when driving, I'd agree with others above that suggest blown electrical element in fridge, so just use it on Gas for this trip ( turn it of auto and select gas manually so it doesn't revert to electric automatically ) then replace the fridge element after your trip away.
Enjoy your trip

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hiya Sally. This may sound like a dumb suggestion but I was watching a fulltimer vlog recently and the guy in the vid had fridge problems too. He had a fix for it, he removed the fridge, took it outside and turned it upside down. He left it like that for 30 minutes or so then put the fridge back in position to stand (switched off,) for 24 hours. After that the fridge worked again.
Not the problem here it works on gas

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the fridge won't work in any power mode, (mains, gas or 12V) then the problem is not the power but the refrigeration circuit. First make sure it's not just a levelling problem - the fridge must be within about 5 degrees of horizontal. If it's recently stopped working due to levelling problems then sometimes a bit of a shake-up by driving round a bit will get it going again. But if all else fails, taking it out and inverting it as described has been known to work.

But I'd say that's not the OP's problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back