Comfortmatic gearbox (2 Viewers)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Sadly I can report the Comfortmatic is not infallible, ours is currently in for its first service at just under 2 years and 18000 miles and it needs a new clutch and flywheel, currently Fiat are saying its not covered by the warranty as there was a clutch overheat logged on the ECU. I explained this was a fault of the hill holder not releasing and awaiting further news from dealer. I can concur it does make for a relaxing drive however.
Anyone else have hill holder issues, on ours it has refused to release about 6 times since new so unsurprisingly the dealer couldn't replicate the fault in a 15 mile drive. Each time need to turn the ignition off and back on to clear. Guess what thats not logged by the ecu ......
I've never heard of that before, either. The hill hold on mine works OK, except that it needs quite a steep gradient to come on, so I usually ignore it and use the hand brake.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Is hill hold a later thing? Or am I a biff and just don’t know how to use a feature (2010 Rapido)?
Jim
Yes, it's a later thing - around 2016 maybe? It's supposed to stop the vehicle rolling back on a hill start without using the handbrake, and works automatically.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Thanks Stephen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
About to pick up new van next Friday, my first automatic vehicle. As I am a novice to automatics just been wondering about how you clear the DPF filter by increasing the revs to say 3000?

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Was unsure when I got the motorhome, but now would not be without it. Travelled around France Spain and Portugal last year with no problem , as someone else said great in France for all of the roundabouts.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
About to pick up new van next Friday, my first automatic vehicle. As I am a novice to automatics just been wondering about how you clear the DPF filter by increasing the revs to say 3000?
The gearbox has a “manual” mode, you can hold it in gear to raise the revs.

Rgds

Jim

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sadly I can report the Comfortmatic is not infallible, ours is currently in for its first service at just under 2 years and 18000 miles and it needs a new clutch and flywheel, currently Fiat are saying its not covered by the warranty as there was a clutch overheat logged on the ECU. I explained this was a fault of the hill holder not releasing and awaiting further news from dealer. I can concur it does make for a relaxing drive however.
Anyone else have hill holder issues, on ours it has refused to release about 6 times since new so unsurprisingly the dealer couldn't replicate the fault in a 15 mile drive. Each time need to turn the ignition off and back on to clear. Guess what that's not logged by the ecu ......
Your description suggests a hill hold fault. The gearbox / clutch has little influence on hill hold.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We've hill hold on our 2012 EKS and use it on ferries and levelling blocks.

Is hill hold a later thing? Or am I a biff and just don’t know how to use a feature (2010 Rapido)?
Jim

No Jim, you're no biff mate... there are those who'll swear blind that the hill hold is only available on manual gearboxes. If you have it there should be a button just above the gear lever and when activated an orange light appears on your instrument cluster.
2013-Fiat-Ducato-2.jpg

The big difference is that on DSG cars it's automatically operated.

With the van on an incline/decline, brake to a stop then press the button... it should hold for a short period.

It may have been a cost option on earlier vans, part of an upgrade package perhaps?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The hill hold on the van works far better than the one on my car, if the hill is not steep enough for it to come on the van hardly moves anyway, never needed to use the handbrake.

Hill hold is a standard no charge option with the Comformatic but when ordering you have to check the box or you don't get it. I can only assume some converters are tight arses and do a deal with Fiat and save a bit of cash.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Anyone else got the hill descent control button and more amusingly have you ever used it? Think it’s standard on comfortmatic comes with the traction plus.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Anyone else got the hill descent control button and more amusingly have you ever used it? Think it’s standard on comfortmatic comes with the traction plus.
Got one but can't imagine ever going anywhere where you would need it in a Motorhome, I think it only works below 5 mph.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone else have hill holder issues, on ours it has refused to release about 6 times since new so unsurprisingly the dealer couldn't replicate the fault in a 15 mile drive. Each time need to turn the ignition off and back on to clear. Guess what thats not logged by the ecu ......

How much will it cost to put right?

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
That is the "UP" button nothing to do with hill hold. It holds the lower gears longer on for use on hilly roads.

Never knew that Lenny, any idea why it stops me rolling back down off rear wheel blocks and stops me rolling back on ferry ramps or is just a coincidence and I think it's me pushing the button controlling it?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Got one but can't imagine ever going anywhere where you would need it in a Motorhome, I think it only works below 5 mph.
HILL DESCENT CONTROL (HDC) SYSTEM It is an integral part of the ESC and is aimed at keeping the vehicle at a constant speed during a descent, operating autonomously on the brakes in various ways at the same time. In this way the vehicle stability and completely safe driving are guaranteed, above all in poor grip conditions and/or steep descents. To activate the system, reach a speed slower than 25 km/h and press the corresponding button A fig. 102; the LED on the button turns on and the display shows a dedicated message(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
HILL DESCENT CONTROL (HDC) SYSTEM It is an integral part of the ESC and is aimed at keeping the vehicle at a constant speed during a descent, operating autonomously on the brakes in various ways at the same time. In this way the vehicle stability and completely safe driving are guaranteed, above all in poor grip conditions and/or steep descents. To activate the system, reach a speed slower than 25 km/h and press the corresponding button A fig. 102; the LED on the button turns on and the display shows a dedicated message(y)
15 mph then, could be useful on some of the mountain roads we end up on.:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Never knew that Lenny, any idea why it stops me rolling back down off rear wheel blocks and stops me rolling back on ferry ramps or is just a coincidence and I think it's me pushing the button controlling it?
For the longevity of your clutch you should keep the heavy load button on permanently. These are used on panel vans that often don't carry much weight. A motorhome is by its very nature of conversion a fully loaded van. I find no noticeable difference in MPG
56 thousand miles now but the first 31 were done by first owner. Many comfortmatics (clutch) fail in very much less mileage.
My car hill hold is activated by a complete stop with foot hard on the brake. Releasing the brake holds the car for 2 seconds, enough time to start moving forwards. Hill hold is automatic if fitted to your vehicle

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Just checking with members, how they were finding the Comfortmatic gearbox reliablability wise in action. Hear annecdotale tales of woe on other Facebook pages, and it is hard to judge how big a problem it is.
Hi , I’ve been using mine now for 5 months, done 6 k, been to Spain and back now heading for Scotland.
Best advice I can give is keep reading all the negative comments, then go and buy the van, mine is fine so much easier than manually changing gear, mine is coupled to the Fist 150 hp engine , pulls like a train in cruise control which I use all the time. All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the comfortmatic would definitely buy another if we ever change the van

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I know of firms that specified them on high use vehicles like minibuses. No end of clutch issues, but it may be down to the profile of how they are driven

But in Fairness, they should be built to withstand that.

I run two 20 year old Toyota Autos that have been thrashed around Europe. Change the gearbox oil and they are strong and as smooth as they were new.

My SprintShift was a dog of a thing. But that was a robotised manual like the Comfortmatic.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nothing to do with the gearbox, it's the dual mass flywheel that fails. Many reports of the clutch plate having lots of life left

Westerham Womble

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Westerham Common sometimes
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
How much will it cost to put right?
I posted my outcome on a separate thread, in summary they did eventually agree to cover under warranty as a fault was showing that the brake light was sticking, this was only picked up by me not the dealer.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
But in Fairness, they should be built to withstand that.

I run two 20 year old Toyota Autos that have been thrashed around Europe. Change the gearbox oil and they are strong and as smooth as they were new.

My SprintShift was a dog of a thing. But that was a robotised manual like the Comfortmatic.

I guess I should add, our original 1994 Toyota previa model has just been sorn by its owner.

And I still run two others 20 year olds with 150,000 miles on. Still maturing on.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I've never heard of that before, either. The hill hold on mine works OK, except that it needs quite a steep gradient to come on, so I usually ignore it and use the hand brake.

Is the hill hold working the rear brakes or something on the gearbox?

I don’t have a Fiat just interested :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I thought so but wanted to check.

I presume the original op fault was because the hill start was refusing to let go when it should then.

Do you have to press a button for hill start then as mine just works on the Merc.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Do you have to press a button for hill start then as mine just works on the Merc.
Nope - completely automatic. It works in reverse, too, but as I said, it needs quite a steep gradient to activate, so I assume it's operated by some sort of tilt switch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back