Leaking Shower Mixer, what make is it? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi all, hope someone can help us on this as we are touring the Highlands with a leaky shower mixer continually dripping.
The Shower mixer leaks even when switched off,so the only way I can stop it doing so is to turn off the water pump.
Its leaking out the shower mixer body, so I presume the ceramic cartridge is buggered.
I have not attempted to take it apart as yet, to remove the cartridge body (if thats possible). I have no idea of the make or model number, so I have just sent an enquiry off to our Dealers along with some pictures, as attached.
I am hoping that if its just a replacement cartridge that is required then I will be able to locate one, and not have to wait for spares from Carthago via our dealers, but as I have no idea of the make at this point it proving difficult.
I have had a quick look at UK spares places but cannot find anything that looks like ours.
I have tried flushing through just in case it is a bit of grit or suchlike, but I think its is buggered and needs replacing.
Any help from you guys would be gratefully received(y):)
Les

Attachments

• Carthago Shower Mixer 3.JPG
    Carthago Shower Mixer 3.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Carthago Shower Mixer 2.JPG
    Carthago Shower Mixer 2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Carthago Shower Mixer 1.JPG
    Carthago Shower Mixer 1.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Tony, I guessed it could be a Reich type, but could not be sure. Thanks for your E bay link, but hopefully I can get a replacement cartridge only.
It would be a major job to replace the whole head as its built into the corner upright of the shower with no visible access to it.:eek:
Thank goodness its still under warranty, should a whole replacement prove to be necessary.
But it would be great if I can find a spares place somewhere on our travels, however unlikely that is:(
Thanks again.
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes it is a Reich and will need a Reich cartridge, you could try taking the cartridge out and soaking in hot 50/50 white vinegar & water (white wine vinegar works better if you have it) to get rid of any calcium build up.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I contacted the E bay sellers Caratech Caravan spares (Lincoln), they dont offer cartridges only the whole shower mixer, but at least I am searching the appropriate make now, Reich have many models apparently, so wish me luck.
Les

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes it is a Reich and will need a Reich cartridge, you could try taking the cartridge out and soaking in hot 50/50 white vinegar & water (white wine vinegar works better if you have it) to get rid of any calcium build up.
Thanks Lenny, The van is too new I would imagine for calcium to have built up, I think its simply split somehow, always happens when you are furthest from a spares place, eh? Wish they were more robust like the ones we all use at home, rather than plastic:(
Les

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Look for an access panel. Might be in an adjacent cupboard? Where is it leaking from. Some shower fittings have o rings that might be worn or displaced that can be replaced. The tap looks pretty standard to be honest but without seeing it properly its difficult. It should come apart from the outside. Start ny removing thw hot cold label to see if there is a screw holding down the handle

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Lenny, The van is too new I would imagine for calcium to have built up, I think its simply split somehow, always happens when you are furthest from a spares place, eh? Wish they were more robust like the ones we all use at home, rather than plastic:(
Les
There's no reason not to fit a domestic version. They use the same fixings and are the same size.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I contacted the E bay sellers Caratech Caravan spares (Lincoln), they dont offer cartridges only the whole shower mixer, but at least I am searching the appropriate make now, Reich have many models apparently, so wish me luck.
Les
Leisureshop Direct (my second link) have all Reich spares including cartridges.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thank you so much guys, I was beginning to think that you could not get a separate replacement cartridge and would have to replace the whole assembly.
I hope that when I get back, I will be able to remove and replace the cartridge from the front without needing access to the rear.
Will be interesting to see if I get any sort of response from our dealers (Chelstons) by then, they have been very good with us thus far.
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thank you so much guys, I was beginning to think that you could not get a separate replacement cartridge and would have to replace the whole assembly.
I hope that when I get back, I will be able to remove and replace the cartridge from the front without needing access to the rear.
Will be interesting to see if I get any sort of response from our dealers (Chelstons) by then, they have been very good with us thus far.
Les
The pipes that the hoses connect fit into the bottom of the cartidge afraid it's a tap out job.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Les
Sounds like in may have frozen could mean a new tap, unless it's just popped an O ring.
Typicial Motorhome fair, cheap & nasty contruction at twice the price, weight driven by the 3.5t class.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had the same, and it must have frozen and cracked the tap. :eek:
So ended up replacing it. :D Good luck. (y) Bob

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks again for your observations, I did drain the whole system over winter, leaving taps open as you do. I will be miffed if if the fault has been caused by freezing up at some point.
To be fair Chelstons have responded to my enquiry and have listed the part numbers for the cartridge and the whole tap assembly. They say if the whole tap needs replacement they will have to order from Carthago, however they can supply the cartridge.
@Lenny HB I questioned Chelstons as to whether the cartridge could be replaced from the front and they have sent me this e-mail response:
Dear Customer
The cartridge is obtainable by removal of the handle normally quite straight forward.

So guys, the question is, should I order up a cartridge and have a go, or drive it to the dealers when we get back, and leave it with them.
Les

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it was me, i would strip the tap and fit the cartridge. if this doesnt solve the leak, then its only ÂŁ14

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks again for your observations, I did drain the whole system over winter, leaving taps open as you do.
Did you leave the tap open in the central position, a lot of people make the mistake of opening the tap but not checking its central. Then one side is open & one closed so it freezes.

I may be wrong about the cartridge, maybe a seperate plastic moulding that looks similar that the pipes go onto. Had a Reich tap apart recently blowed if I can remember.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@TinaL Les its possible that some water was in it and froze, I always blow down the taps when draining down, ;) not that we need to in Spain. :LOL:
If so odds are its cracked. :cry:

Best strip the tap and check it, you can always put it back together and order what you need, easier that getting the tap out to find you only need a cartridge. :rolleyes:
If I remember right ( cover shower plug hole ) you pop the red and blue plastic bit out the handle undo the screw, remove handle, undo the nut under it and that's it, there's the cartridge. (y)
:pop: Bob.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
It only needs a small amount of water left in the actual fitting itself to dislodge the o rings. I now remove the whole tap on our static, but its only a 5 minute job, not so easy on the motorhome. Next time you 'winterise' it, turn the tap to hot and blow through the shower hose, then cold and finally set the tap midway. You could also wrap some sort of insulation around the whole tap. It might seem a bit of a faf but taking time to drain down for the winter (along with other things) is well worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Update on leaky shower mixer.
Had a wonderful day (NOT) chasing my tail, and pulling hair out in sheer frustration.
I found the black plastic cartridge retaining ring has been installed slightly cross threaded. Its set back well inside the outer chrome body that supports it, so could not get any purchase on the nut ring without the correct sized tool. So I went and purchased a 32mm socket, and a 32mm tap box spanner, neither of which fitted inside the outer body to allow access to the nut:mad:
I sweated and swore at it, squirted it with silicon grease spray, left it to sink in, went back with an array of long nosed pliers, grips & wrenches, and after much coercion managed to get the lock ring off and the suspect cartridge in my hand:) No visible damage, O rings in place, so much head scratching continued.
I had ordered a replacement cartridge from leisure direct (Barnstable, North Devon) @ÂŁ11 and a few pence+Vat, paid Royal Mail next day tracked postage on top @ 9.80 total ÂŁ23.
Got an e-mail first thing from Royal mail to expect delivery between 11,45 AM to 2.15PM, great I thought:)
Nothing arrived, then got an e-mail from Royal Mail saying that my package had been sent to the wrong sorting office. I used the on line tracking system to track my order and it was confirmed shipment sent to wrong sorting office but no mention as to when I would receive it! Still dont have it, informed Leisure direct on line that I hadn't received it (recipient cannot get a refund of postage I now know).
I have since found out that if and when the new cartridge does arrive it does not include a new black plastic back nut, so even when it arrives I cannot fit it as the existing back nut is buggered.
It is not sold separately, therefore resigned myself in having to get a whole new shower mixer:mad:
As you know its a Carthago MH, I have removed the shower doors and taken out every visible screw, the 100mm L Shaped cornice that the shower mixer is mounted on is not removable without destruction as its welded on the back with double sided bullet proof adhesive tape.
I phoned my dealers workshop to enquire if was possible to remove it without destroying it, and they said "we have never done one before, so dont know"
I am now between a rock and a hard place, honeymoon delayed until hell knows when:(
I think I will end up taking to the dealers and just leaving it with them to sort, as they could do with the practice by the sound of it, and its still under warranty.
All my efforts to get off on our hols has failed miserably thus far.
I spoke to Reich UK, guy called Rick seemed helpful, asked me to send pictures of mixer & Black Plastic back nut "as we sell so many types", so I took detailed photos, e -mailed them over to him at 4.00PM, the e-mail address he gave me was incorrect so despite a few attempts they have all been bounced back, now not answering phone at 4.45PM:mad: The Reich UK website gives postal address, phone number, but no e-mail address to check:mad:
Give me strength....Please! Single Malt now opened, might be a few days before I surface after a day like this one!
Les

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Les

I know how your feeling as I had a similar experience with my Malibu. My shower leaked at one year old as I think I didn't leave the shower head on the shower tray with the shower control in the mid position over winter. I thought it was probably the cartridge, so would have a go myself rather than traipse off to the dealer. How hard can it be? All the video's on You Tube show the tap coming apart easily:D. I had exactly the same problem as you in that the locknut was cross threaded:(. I tried everything to get it undone, but in the end, I had to cut it off:(.

I rang everywhere trying to find a replacement lock nut, but no one stocked that size:(. I could source the cartridge, but not the nut. In the end, I emailed Reich, explaining I would like to purchase a new nut. They sent me a new cartridge FOC, but no nut:oops:!

I then decided to bite the bullet and order a complete new shower tap, except it wasn't stocked anywhere in the UK. Eventually, I tracked one down in Germany. This duly arrived and we then had a non leaking shower again(y).

It seems to be a common theme with the Reich taps having the nuts cross threaded:whistle:

If you manage to identify a source of the back nuts, please let me know(y)

Hope you get yours sorted soon

Cheers

Trevor

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well its 11AM and I have now surfaced, albeit with a groggy head after last nights drowning of sorrows with The single malt.
I will try and contact Reich UK and see if they will answer their phone, sounds like @Treeeev has had the same experience as myself, but at least he managed to get access to remove & replace the shower mixer, which as I said I cannot do without doing some damage.
No sign of the new cartridge from Royal Mail yet, might order a whole new mixer and leave it to dealer to sweat over.
Will post update later.
Now wheres those paracetamol tablets.:(
Les

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Hope you’ve made some progress from above post. Jobs like this are just a nighmare I feel for you. Best of luck with it.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Still between a rock & Hard place with the shower mixer.
Having removed every visible screw from shower corner fillet that holds the mixer, I still cant get the damn thing off as its bonded in with very strong double sided tape, no wonder the shower trays dont leak.
A new replacement cartridge eventually arrived a few days later from getting lost in The Royal Mail 24 hour tracked system, it went from Farborough Hants, to Hounslow Middx sorting offices, then I got an e-mail saying it would be with me in 3-4 days!:mad:
Phoned Leisure Direct who were very sympathetic and refunded all my dosh.
The problem for me was that without getting a new black plastic back nut I could not fit the new cartridge. New cartridges do not come with a new plastic back nut, which is mad as they always get cross threaded when a mixer sustains frost damage.
Having contacted Reich UK and sent pictures of the shower mixer and back nut, John was extremely helpful and understood my problem immediately. He confirmed the black plastic back nut was not available as a spare part, but said he had stripped one out of a showroom model and would send it to me.
Well I now have the new cartridge and new back nut from Reich thanks to John, but he advised that I will need "the appropriate sized box spanner" which I have not located as yet.
More later when and if I can get a spanner to fit, one thats thin enough to go between back nut and outer collar as theres not much clearance.
Thanks for the support guys, really appreciate it right now.
Les

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well been everywhere today trying hard to get a 30MM box spanner, not a chance of getting one today, and even if I did it probably would be too thick to fit the nut and clear the inside of the outer casing it screws into.:(
Had a few attempts at putting in the new cartridge with spacer washer and new back lock nut, first attempts were no good slight drip still:(
But with a bit/lot of percy vera I got the whole assembly back together finger tight and square in the threads, tightened as much as possible by hand and just gave the final nip up with some long nosed pliers.
Result! it works no leaks thus far, do I trust it for longevity NO! in a word.
If I could have got to the back without destroying the UPVC corner fillet that supports it, the I would have fitted a good household type like Grohe or even Bristan.
At least we can get away now for a couple of weeks before TinaL's surgery.
Just cut the lawns, stocked up with cat food,for the minder, will probably head round M25 then up MI/M18/A1 tomorrow, see the family in Ayrshire and beyond.
Cheers everyone, thanks for suggestions, and sharing my frustration on this stupid problem that has so much grief.
Les & TinaL

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Les

Glad you managed to get another backnut. I didn't have any joy trying to get a box spanner to fit, all those I tried were to thick. In the videos I saw, the backnut was loosened with a pair of long nose pliers, so I suspect you will probably be ok.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers

Trevor

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hope it has worked Les, I never knew the plastic corner fillets were taped on as well as screwed, thought it would be just a thin head of silicone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back