Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Sunderland
Funster No
MH
CoachBuilt
Exp
I’m a one year old
Heading into Europe via Holland from North Shields. Was planning to travel with a stocked up larder and fridge but unsure if there are any restrictions regarding food or drink. This question is asked for the ferry trip itself and also on arrival in Holland

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Your fridge will have to be switched off on the ferry as gas bottles have to be turned off.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Never turned mine off on the Dover ferries, and I know I am not the only one.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They usually ask "have you turned off your gas?" and I believe it is on the back of the tag that goes in the windscreen, I am talking about the longer North Sea trips not the channel.

Martin

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We travel down to Spain and the fridge/freezer stays cool for the 24 hour crossing.

We just put a few ice packs etc in it. Never had it defrost. (y)

Regarding leaving the gas on whilst on board. That's a big no-no for me.

Heavier than air explosive gases and boats do not go together well. (n)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Against maritine regulation to travel on a car deck with the gas turned on and with a naked fkame.
Very dangerous and inconsiderate of you.

OP
OP
Eyegeedee

Eyegeedee

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Sunderland
Funster No
MH
CoachBuilt
Exp
I’m a one year old
We travel down to Spain and the fridge/freezer stays cool for the 24 hour crossing.

We just put a few ice packs etc in it. Never had it defrost. (y)

Regarding leaving the gas on whilst on board. That's a big no-no for me.

Heavier than air explosive gases and boats do not go together well. (n)
Thanks. Our crossing is about 16 hours so your tip for keeping fridge cool will be used.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If any of the food you are intending to take in the fridge can be frozen freeze it at home then leave it in the fridge for the crossing and treat it as fresh it will help keep the average temperature down. That being said I would just buy things where you are going Aldi and Lidl are most places these days and why not try the local food its part of the holiday.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Against maritine regulation to travel on a car deck with the gas turned on and with a naked fkame.
Weve never been instructed to turn of on channel ferries maybe they think the fact that the lorry and camper decks are open one end makes it pointless

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Obviously isn't very dangerous going by the amount of fires on Dover ferries.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We always do the Hull Zeebrugge crossing so a similar time to the Newcastle Ijmuden, we take a frozen chilli out of the freezer and put it in the fridge everything stays cold and the freezer stays frozen and tea is sorted for the first night(y)

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As a former ferry Engineering Officer, please turn off the gas! It breaks so many regulations, sails through common sense and is just so dangerous for everyone. I've posted this many times before.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Heading into Europe via Holland from North Shields. Was planning to travel with a stocked up larder and fridge but unsure if there are any restrictions regarding food or drink. This question is asked for the ferry trip itself and also on arrival in Holland
Just don't see the point in stocking up IMO before travelling abroad carrying extra weight when locally bought food abroad is cheap enough and in a lot of cases cheaper than over here.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As a former ferry Engineering Officer, please turn off the gas! It breaks so many regulations, sails through common sense and is just so dangerous for everyone. I've posted this many times before.
Too some people you are just banging your head on a bickwall. Ferry operators need to get tough, any one caught with a fridge running on gas a total ferry ban for life might work.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thought that might get a few of you going,:LOL: I never said I ran it on gas, only that I never turned it off. I simply turn the inverter on and run it on leccy.
I need to check the draw to see if the batteries will last the 24 hour Santander crossing, should do I think.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thought that might get a few of you going,:LOL: I never said I ran it on gas, only that I never turned it off. I simply turn the inverter on and run it on leccy.
I need to check the draw to see if the batteries will last the 24 hour Santander crossing, should do I think.
You :swear2:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The gas being heavier than air could drop into the bildge of the boat waiting for a spark!!!!!!
On virtually every crossing our gas has been checked by ferry/tunnel staff, or we have been asked if it's off.

The fridge will stay cold if it starts out cold.

It is a bit like opening the unloading doors early----- everything is fine -- until it goes wrong----- then it goes wrong----- in a big way!!!!!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

You must have a good battery bank to run an RV fridge that long--- they do draw a lot of power!!!-------- but you already know that!!!!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Three 180amp SD, but its not just the fridge, its also losses through the stepdown tranny.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Weve never been instructed to turn of on channel ferries maybe they think the fact that the lorry and camper decks are open one end makes it pointless

I had better instruct you NOT to jump off the side of the ferry mid channel. Just in case like :LOL: :D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Naked flame and petrol fumes ,,,accident waiting to happen.I know it hasn't happened yet but it was same with closing the bow doors on ferries and I suppose cladding tower blocks with inflammable insulation..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back