Iveco Daily with ZF Auto Box.... you got one? (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I read of a problem on the German forum LinerTreff with Daily's from 2015 to at least 2017 with ZF automatic that have a series problem with the drive plate from the converter.

The drive plate ruptures and smashes the gearbox housing if it is not replaced in time.

I understand that Iveco are aware of this and presentation of the VIN to them will confirm if the vehicle is subject to a warranty fix.

My Flair has just had some warranty work at the factory and I got them to get it checked, as a result mine was replaced! FOC at 3 years old!
So all you Daily chassis owners get to it. @OurMoreloLife @stewartwebr
Of course Concorde Daily owners do not need to concern themselves.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I read of a problem on the German forum LinerTreff with Daily's from 2015 to at least 2017 with ZF automatic that have a series problem with the drive plate from the converter.

The drive plate ruptures and smashes the gearbox housing if it is not replaced in time.

I understand that Iveco are aware of this and presentation of the VIN to them will confirm if the vehicle is subject to a warranty fix.

My Flair has just had some warranty work at the factory and I got them to get it checked, as a result mine was replaced! FOC at 3 years old!
So all you Daily chassis owners get to it. @OurMoreloLife @stewartwebr
Of course Concorde Daily owners do not need to concern themselves.
Hi Michael

Good heads up(y) do you mind if I pinch it and post it on N+B.

Martin

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Wow, I had considered changing my box from manual to auto, but reading your thread maybe it's not a good idea!!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Wow, I had considered changing my box from manual to auto, but reading your thread maybe it's not a good idea!!
Not really, there are many recall type issues with all sorts of vehicles, the good thing is that you get them fixed. All my cars for the last 30 years or more have been autos, I would never go back to manual by choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not really, there are many recall type issues with all sorts of vehicles, the good thing is that you get them fixed. All my cars for the last 30 years or more have been autos, I would never go back to manual by choice.

I think you have forgotten one thing though Michael, one day your Flair will 10 or 15 or 20 years old and someone down the line will have it and it wont be covered under any warranty.
As we always buy used vans around 10-15 years old I always stick to manual now, just think that they are much more reliable very far down the line, current van is 2005 Iveco 3 litre manual.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you have forgotten one thing though Michael, one day your Flair will 10 or 15 or 20 years old and someone down the line will have it and it wont be covered under any warranty.
As we always buy used vans around 10-15 years old I always stick to manual now, just think that they are much more reliable very far down the line, current van is 2005 Iveco 3 litre manual.
I have to agree with you Paul, but saying that even the newer manual versions will be a lot more complicated than yours and ours, after saying that nobody orders the manuals so there won't be any in a few years time anyway.

Martin

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I was actually talking more about warranty issues Paul and the fact that mine is out of warranty but covered for this issue by Iveco; a German had a complete failure of his gearbox and if Google translated it correctly Iveco resolved the whole issue at no cost to him. However back to the Auto/Manual debate, when I was working doing circa 40k per year the most miles I had a car was 80k and the gearbox was still fine (Honda Sterling), I think amount of work is a better measure than how old. As I buy new and I am not buying for the guy who has it 15 years on I suppose I have not given it any thought. But my experience, as I have said, has not led me to think its an issue in any event. How much does a clutch cost now and how long does it last?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I was actually talking more about warranty issues Paul and the fact that mine is out of warranty but covered for this issue by Iveco; a German had a complete failure of his gearbox and if Google translated it correctly Iveco resolved the whole issue at no cost to him. However back to the Auto/Manual debate, when I was working doing circa 40k per year the most miles I had a car was 80k and the gearbox was still fine (Honda Sterling), I think amount of work is a better measure than how old. As I buy new and I am not buying for the guy who has it 15 years on I suppose I have not given it any thought. But my experience, as I have said, has not led me to think its an issue in any event. How much does a clutch cost now and how long does it last?

Yes fully understand Michael, just buy for what suits your own circumstances.
Manual much more reliable for me though 15 years on, hence my choice. Not sure how much clutches are, never had one in all the cars and vans we have had, hope that doesn't tempt fate.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have to agree with you Paul, but saying that even the newer manual versions will be a lot more complicated than yours and ours, after saying that nobody orders the manuals so there won't be any in a few years time anyway.

Martin

Yes you are definitely right there Martin, nobody certainly orders manual anymore.

Virtually every A class Iveco I have seen for sale from 2007 onwards has been an auto which is worrying should we ever want one a few years newer as there were a few problems with the older Iveco autos from 2007 onwards I believe.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
As always Michael, right on the money. Thank you.

I'll take a look to see what I can find out and submit our VIN for checking. With only 4k on the clock, I reckon we might have a fighting chance of it not being any day now.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Thought Iveco had nailed their auto gearbox problems with the arrival of the ZF 8HP, especially after their continuing problems with the terrible Agile auto gearbox.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Any chance of a link please; my Google translate isn't working very well at all and shows nothing for Iveco Daily with or without ZF automatic xroll:

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Thinking about this, don't you think that Morelo should have been the first to tell owners of this alert/ possible issue?

How long has this issue been known about anyway?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thinking about this, don't you think that Morelo should have been the first to tell owners of this alert/ possible issue?

How long has this issue been known about anyway?
Or an IVECO recall.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thought Iveco had nailed their auto gearbox problems with the arrival of the ZF 8HP, especially after their continuing problems with the terrible Agile auto gearbox.
The drive plate could be made by Iveco. It isn't part of the gearbox.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes you are definitely right there Martin, nobody certainly orders manual anymore.

Virtually every A class Iveco I have seen for sale from 2007 onwards has been an auto which is worrying should we ever want one a few years newer as there were a few problems with the older Iveco autos from 2007 onwards I believe.

Can you still order a manual? When we had a look at a Morelo the choice was 205hp with 8 speed auto or 170hp with Agile.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can you still order a manual? When we had a look at a Morelo the choice was 205hp with 8 speed auto or 170hp with Agile.
I am sure you can still have a manual Jon as the ZF is a 5k upgrade, don't know if anybody has done it as the dealer would put you off by telling you it would be unsellable when you had finished with it.

Martin

EDIT just checked and 205bhp only in conjunction with ZF so you would have to have manual and then a remap(y)

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Read this with interest. Will get them to check when it’s in for service in June

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back