Karrie

Free Member
Mar 15, 2019
Southsea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everyone - we're very new to motorhoming, picking 1st one up next week. Could u let us know please if it is safe to drink the water or do u have to buy bottles of water all the time? Any advice would help.Thank you.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As long as you keep the tank clean you should have now problems

There will always be people who use bottled water and say they never use their water (but then clean their teeth from the tap)

Just enjoy the experience and do what YOU want

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use tap water through a Britta filter jug.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We carry three 4 pint milk bottles which steriled at home, these we fill from the drinking water tap on the aire/site. This is used for cooking and tea/coffee. The tank water is only used for washing up, washing and showers. We also have bought bottled water for drinking, we sometimes drink the site drinking water if we think it’s OK. “One-tap” aires are never OK.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Have always drunk the water from the tank, but fussy what hose we fill it with, as I can taste the plastic from garden type hose.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Newbie soon to be ex Caravanner
We use Aqua Sol when filling up the tank and then use it for everything. Although for a nice cold glass of water I do usually keep a bottle of very cheap supermarket water in the fridge and just top it up.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We just drink from the tank - the motorhome builders used all food grade pipes etc, and we will fill up from chlorinated or spring water taps, so can't see a problem. If we are going to leave it more than, say, 10 days I make sure there is only a few litres left in the freshwater tank - i.e. Just enough to flush the toilet then fill up with fresh. If doubt creeps in we just bung in a bit of Elsil fresh water treatment http://www.elsan.co.uk/drinking-water-management.aspx.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours was a brand new tank , to us. So we know it’s clean .
We fill on site or cl etc. We drain down and clean the tank regularly. We use our own hose to fill .
Though we use it to boil for tea etc, we always buy bottled water to drink. It’s cheap as chips To buy.

We brush our teeth with tank water , but spit it out ?

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
By the way :pink: to the forum .

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome to the Fun.

Regarding potable water - Buy it in bottles.

When we are in Spain enjoying the 30c weather you probably won't want to drink the water that comes out of the fresh water tank when its sat there for a day or five.

If you have a cup of tea at our van be assured it will be fresh water. :D

:hiya2:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I bought a 5 litre bottle of water in Spain some years ago, and refill the bottle straight from the tap at home or on site. This is used for drinking, cooking and filling the kettle. Stored in the shower while travelling. We bought some small bottles of water with flip tops which fit in the fridge and are good while driving or walking, refilled from the 5 litre bottle or the tap.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
If you motorhome is brand new you may find that there is an unpleasant plasticy taste in the water from your tank. I would say it was about 6 months before the water from our tank started to taste OK so we used bottled water and refilled from the drinking water taps on site .................. unless there was only one tap on site :sicker:, in which case we bought more bottled water.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We carry three 4 pint milk bottles which steriled at home, these we fill from the drinking water tap on the aire/site. This is used for cooking and tea/coffee. The tank water is only used for washing up, washing and showers. We also have bought bottled water for drinking, we sometimes drink the site drinking water if we think it’s OK. “One-tap” aires are never OK.

I bought a 5 litre bottle of water in Spain some years ago, and refill the bottle straight from the tap at home or on site. This is used for drinking, cooking and filling the kettle. Stored in the shower while travelling. We bought some small bottles of water with flip tops which fit in the fridge and are good while driving or walking, refilled from the 5 litre bottle or the tap.

There’s lots on the web about not using single use bottles over and over again . The chemicals from the plastic leach out and cause nasty problems over time
https://www.thoughtco.com/reusing-plastic-bottles-serious-health-hazards-1204028
You can buy bottles that don’t have the nasty chemicals in them , that are safe to reuse. I have one actually that I have at the side of my bed at home.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
There’s lots on the web about not using single use bottles over and over again . The chemicals from the plastic leach out and cause nasty problems over time
https://www.thoughtco.com/reusing-plastic-bottles-serious-health-hazards-1204028
You can buy bottles that don’t have the nasty chemicals in them , that are safe to reuse. I have one actually that I have at the side of my bed at home.
Depends on which fake news you believe!
We been using them for 6 years and as milk bottles are in plentiful supply we have fresh ones each trip to get the max dose of any of those chemicals
https://www.verywellfit.com/are-lexan-polycarbonate-water-bottles-safe-to-reuse-3435588

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
As long as your aware. As I said there’s loads on the web about it.
Just putting it out there. (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we drimk from our tank and only drain it down to prevent freezing and never clean it, water at home comes from plastic pipes we keep the tank full as much as possible

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Karrie

Free Member
Mar 15, 2019
Southsea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow thank u so much for all your really helpful advice. I think we'll try just drinking the water onboard with maybe the odd steraliser tablet. If in doubt I'll just have to stick to the wine!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
beware what you use to sterilise the water system. milton and similar will damage the water heater

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We use this.

If it really works I don't know but it makes us feel we are doing something to keep the system clean.

We use bottled water or water from our home filter system for drinking, tea, coffee etc.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Out of habit we use buy 5 ltr bottles as our trips are mainly in Europe and do not use the on board tank for anything except showing/washing up.

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
We always use the water from the tank (far too tight to buy bottled and too lazy to keep refilling small bottles day after day with the same water I am putting in the tank) and so far no issues. I have spent over 55 years building up my immune system by not giving a monkeys what I eat or drink although most of my adult life I have ensured I disinfect my stomach with copious amounts of alcoholic spirits on a (very) regular basis just in case (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back