Wild camping in permit zones around Loch Lomond and the Trossachs (1 Viewer)

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have a large (8.2m) Burstner 747-2, and were wondering if anyone has been to the permit zone areas and what roads are like. I have looked on Google earth but am unsure if suitable for us?

We have been to NW Coast on roads with crossing places- was a bit hairy at times.

Any advice??

Cheers x

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We stayed at Firkin Point on Loch Lomond last year using the permit...

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/get-a-permit/

Our Burstner Solano T725 is 7.5m and had no problem and I don't think you would have either. There are three places on what was the turning circle at the end of the cul de sac road. They are not marked out but indicated by a 4ft post with a sign on. The tarmac is on a slope and the top and bottom pitches can get level, the one in the middle is transverse to the other two and may have to use ramps.
It is accessed directly off the A82 and is no problem.

The one further up the Loch at Inveruglas was quite uninviting when we tried there with piles of gravel, water dubs and mud but this was a work in progress at the time.

IMG_20170706_092638.jpg

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Further east in the three forests permit area access is easy. The forest paths are gravel but relatively wide single track with lots of passing places. The stops are variable but generally not tiny - but not fantastically flat either - and are generally gravel covered. We've never had a problem with our 7m Burstner. The stops are all right by the main drive - which can be busy during the day but completely silent (except for the occasional park ranger van checking up) once the gates are shut.

Here's an example (see attached photos) - this one has quite a camber sloping down to the loch, but you can see the state of the road and permit stop quite well.

DSC01891.JPG DSC01894.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim Dowd

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Ford transit conversion
Exp
Since 2006 a bit of a newbie
Last edited:

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
It appears the permit process has been withdrawn found to be illegal check Loch Katrina web site for further info they were going to supply chemical waste disposal for motorhomes but now stated not viable due to the withdrawal of the permit requirement.

That is news from 2017. Also, Loch Katrine doesn't have a disposal point because they dont have the facilities to support one... But you can book a motorhome space and use their shower/toilet facilities. Nothing to do with the LLTNPA botched camping permit system.. https://www.lochkatrine.com/accommodation/motorhomeparking/

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
If the permit process has been withdrawn how comes the 'get a permit' link in @namwaldog post above is still active? o_O

Pete

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
It's still there for the summer if you're intending to camp . No permit required for motorhomes or campervans.

A

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Thanks, that was quick. :)

Pete

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
As I go there from time to time I'm quite interested in this whole permit debacle. Claimed it was to cut down on the issues with bad behaviour and rubbish but all its done has forced campers into a small number of locations, some of which are unusable, with no more facilities to dispose of rubbish. Laws already existed to deal with bad behaviour.

Jim Dowd

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Ford transit conversion
Exp
Since 2006 a bit of a newbie
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i used permit over night at Inveruglas last September . permit booked and paid in advance, printed off to put in screen as instructed.......... will not do it again.

when we arrived the 4 designated motorhome permit stop overs were full....

2 had half canabalised vehicles in,
1 had a boy racer type lowered , bigger wheel etc etc car in,
the other had a very old caravan in total disrepair with broken table and chairs outside and a pile of rubbish and debris that must have taken real effort to accumulate.

while maneuvering the motorhome to get the hell out of there, i saw a Ranger; who i approached and queried the situation. he told me that was the only area i was allowed to overnight in and i should approach the occupants to ask them to move their vehicle,,,, the one that was driveable that is..
I told him i was mot staying took photos and left.

reported it with photos to the permit control office, who said.... and I kid you not!

"although caravans are not allowed the person had a permit"!!!
" that the ranger had said that the caravan had only arrived that day"!!
" that cars were allowed to park in those spaces upto 7pm and i could have waited for them to be moved"!!
they offered to refund 3 pounds of the permit fee. which i never got and could not be arsed to chase up.

spoke to a few people next day about the permit process and was told it is regularly abused by people who make it their residence!!!!

if its still in operation you may be lucky....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back