Crit Air Stickers - the french dont seem to be bothering (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Appollo51 - why should the form be in English, it is for use in France Oh Please!. You mayhavenotseen it on the news but Palmerston died in 1865.

The French do not waste my money translating every bureaucratic form into umpteen languages just in case.
Unless they are trying to sell the product outside France.

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thinking this through, most countries now have ANPR. If you are registered in that country they know everything about you automatically in seconds. If you are not registered they don't.

Anecdotally I was speaking to a swiss couple who have been caught in UK by not being registered. They inadvertently strayed into the LEZ in their brand new Carthago, so compliant vehicle = no charge, but because its not registered to UK the LEZ people are chasing and have asked Switzerland who have supplied their details and are demanding a fine that has now risen to £1800.

Be interesting to go back to the law which established the LEZ and find out whether there is a requirement in it for foreign-registered vehicles to be registered with Tfl, or whether was just introduced by Tfl for their convenience, in which case it may be unenforcable.

Geoff

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We drove round the Champes Elysee last october without a sticker - even down a few side streets to double back on ourselves. No sticker no fine. We then bought a sticker but are now selling the van. So the french authorities will have our details on a van we dont own. How will they work that out i wonder ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
Well have spent the last 2 days trying to scan the doc small enuf!!! Success it's done. Should just have gone to Scotland lol.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
@Appollo51 - why should the form be in English, it is for use in France Oh Please!. You mayhavenotseen it on the news but Palmerston died in 1865.

The French do not waste my money translating every bureaucratic form into umpteen languages just in case.

WRONG
in light of equality it is produced in every language of the EU (which we are just still in)

AND those who go into areas where it is needed are now buying the sticker especially as they are now starting to get fined for not having one

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We drove round the Champes Elysee last october without a sticker - even down a few side streets to double back on ourselves. No sticker no fine. We then bought a sticker but are now selling the van. So the french authorities will have our details on a van we dont own. How will they work that out i wonder ...
Quite easily if they need to.
They are entitled to the information for offences which if you have committed one they may go after. Have heard of some well over 6 months later. I believe it is up to a year before they need to contact you rather than the 14 days to receive a NIP in the UK.
PNC will have your details attached to the vehicle for the time of the offence, and then your address. I suspect they wont even contact the current owner to require them to name you, but if they do your information is on the V5 as the previous keeper.
Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news.
The good news side of things is they will have noted you bought a sticker after the time of the suspected offence, so may see it as mistake rectified

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
AFAIK, you don't need these stickers all the time. They restrict which vehicles can enter the city / area during times of high smog etc. Then a board is displayed with Crit air and the number. Only that number or lower is permitted until the restriction is lifted.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Took me bloody ages to work out how to shrink our V5 doc to enable us to e-mail it to the Crit Air office, in fact I was border line bald with frustration at the time, tears nearly!:mad::mad::mad:
Now you tell me The French aint fussed about having it!:mad::mad::mad:
Sacre Bleu:mad:
Les
I scanned ours in Black and White which made the file size much less and that did the trick.

Wyn

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I scanned ours in Black and White which made the file size much less and that did the trick.

Wyn
Dont, just Dont!, get me started, the memories still linger, the air was Blue for a week I can tell ya!:mad:
In the end it was easier to take a photo with the phone, reduce image on phone, then upload to PC, then send on e-mail link.
Most others had a crop feature on windows 10 that I could not find, and now I dont wanna know about it(n):)
Then to find out The Froggies are not bothering to get one....well:swear2:
Les

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Then by that opinion the French government are in the same boat.
When the French government stop using data gained illegally from French companies running services for the UK government in the UK, to track down & attempt to fine people in the UK, for offences committed in France you can criminalise the op. Until then alls fair in love & war.
If it is ok for a government to work flankers then it is a free for all for everyone.

Sort of agree and don’t with you here.
Not right that details should be gained illicitly, but if you commit an offence in another country, you should expect, at some point, that it will catch up with you.
I suppose the next step could be to detain foreign vehicles leaving a country to establish if the drivers have committed any offences, then fine you on the spot before you leave.

Could be a nice little earner for the UK government seeing as they don’t seem to chase foreign vehicles for speeding or parking offences.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thinking this through, most countries now have ANPR. If you are registered in that country they know everything about you automatically in seconds. If you are not registered they don't.

Anecdotally I was speaking to a swiss couple who have been caught in UK by not being registered. They inadvertently strayed into the LEZ in their brand new Carthago, so compliant vehicle = no charge, but because its not registered to UK the LEZ people are chasing and have asked Switzerland who have supplied their details and are demanding a fine that has now risen to £1800.
They actually need to make a complaint to the EU on the grounds that it is discrimination as in all other EU states requiring stickers /registration everyone has to do it ,nationals & foreigners whereas in the UK only foreigners are required to do so & unless you access the TFL site there is no advertising of the fact anywhere other than on their.
Be interesting to go back to the law which established the LEZ and find out whether there is a requirement in it for foreign-registered vehicles to be registered with Tfl, or whether was just introduced by Tfl for their convenience, in which case it may be unenforcable.

Geoff
Exactly.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
WRONG
in light of equality it is produced in every language of the EU (which we are just still in)

AND those who go into areas where it is needed are now buying the sticker especially as they are now starting to get fined for not having one

So do you have a link to a report/know of of a foreigner being fined?

I ask because we ve been travelling Morocco for the past few weeks where there are hundreds if not thousands of French CC's hardly any of which have Crit Air stickers. I have asked a few why not and get the impression that they don't really believe its going to take off and don't seem even to know about the ZPADs.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
So do you have a link to a report/know of of a foreigner being fined?

I ask because we ve been travelling Morocco for the past few weeks where there are hundreds if not thousands of French CC's hardly any of which have Crit Air stickers. I have asked a few why not and get the impression that they don't really believe its going to take off and don't seem even to know about the ZPADs.

AH Typical French
if they don't think a law will work they ignore it and it goes away (remember breathalysers) - not got nay paper work on how many fines issued just reports from English people living in France hearing about it in the local rags but got to agree there is very little hard copy on anything about which areas are restricted and which are not unlike here in the UK where to enter an area would cost an arm and leg there seems to be very little in place over here

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
AFAIK, you don't need these stickers all the time. They restrict which vehicles can enter the city / area during times of high smog etc. Then a board is displayed with Crit air and the number. Only that number or lower is permitted until the restriction is lifted.
So you do get a warning to avoid these places and their are ways to go round?

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Are these crit airs photo enforced or do you have to be stopped by the gendarmes?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Send me the link to the website you've been on , I can't leave the little ones! They know when I'm not looking Grrrrrrr!

I can't recall any sign saying how to avoid the non authorised zone and I 've been next to Paris with my old motorhome. Now being French, I probably got blind.... ignoring the signs .... mmmm typical French someone said

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Send me the link to the website you've been on , I can't leave the little ones! They know when I'm not looking Grrrrrrr!

I can't recall any sign saying how to avoid the non authorised zone and I 've been next to Paris with my old motorhome. Now being French, I probably got blind.... ignoring the signs .... mmmm typical French someone said
I have managed to order a crit air sticker, after what feels like a lifetime on line lol. I don’t think I will be here (uk) to get it . So not sure if it’s much good.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I have managed to order a crit air sticker, after what feels like a lifetime on line lol. I don’t think I will be here (uk) to get it . So not sure if it’s much good.
They should have sent you an email with one you can print and use until the real one arrives.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
:eek::eek::eek: Apparently it is also in Toulouse! Blimey !!!! But never mind you can see Balma on the left side of their map and I'm OUT of it.
Anyway... as I said I have never seen signs saying stop or go this way to avoid the restricted zone. I think it is still such an unknown law, that the Gendarmes are very very cool with us, so why not with the Brits!
@jimdob Don't worry about it too much. Make sure you don't drink alcohol before driving which will always be the most important thing, along with a safe and insured vehicle!
Enjoy your trip!
If you still feel uncomfortable , PM me and I'll give you my mobile phone number in case you need help.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
:eek::eek::eek: Apparently it is also in Toulouse! Blimey !!!! But never mind you can see Balma on the left side of their map and I'm OUT of it.
Anyway... as I said I have never seen signs saying stop or go this way to avoid the restricted zone. I think it is still such an unknown law, that the Gendarmes are very very cool with us, so why not with the Brits!
@jimdob Don't worry about it too much. Make sure you don't drink alcohol before driving which will always be the most important thing, along with a safe and insured vehicle!
Enjoy your trip!
If you still feel uncomfortable , PM me and I'll give you my mobile phone number in case you need help.
Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back