Cushing's disease ... horrible illness! (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I am so, so sorry that you have all this to deal with, as Robert mentioned Kaja had cushing's, but something else took before she had a chance for it to really impact on her life.
Sending massive hugs of support.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I too, have only seen Cushings in horses, where it is not uncommon. It’s a hard time for you but you will make the right decisions. Sometimes the process of writing it all down is helpful to clear my thoughts, at other times it helps emotionally. I hope the vets can come up with a plan which keeps her happy. ((())).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You have my sympathy. Our elderly lab was diagnosed with the same disease but with medication she continued to enjoy an active life for another two years and was 15 when she passed away. Medication can be expensive but in many cases it does alleviate the symptoms. I hope it works for you.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
So sorry to hear about Romy. I know just how you're feeling. We've lost many old friends and had to make that difficult decision several times over the years. I hope that there will be an effective treatment for her, but I know from reading your posts that, come what may, you'll act in Romy's best interests.
My good wishes come to all of you.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, we got a call from the vet this afternoon, it's definitely Cushing's ... :( ... hubby went to get some tablets for her so we can see if they will work, just one a day but at £67 for 30 that's enough!!! :eek: She's back at the vets in 10 days to have a check and blood test done to see if they are doing their stuff, then it will be monthly checks for a while ... hopefully they will reduce the demand for water and subsequent weeing so she doesn't need to go out so much and hubby can get some proper sleep as he's slowly turning into a zombie. o_O

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Well, we got a call from the vet this afternoon, it's definitely Cushing's ... :( ... hubby went to get some tablets for her so we can see if they will work, just one a day but at £67 for 30 that's enough!!! :eek: She's back at the vets in 10 days to have a check and blood test done to see if they are doing their stuff, then it will be monthly checks for a while ... hopefully they will reduce the demand for water and subsequent weeing so she doesn't need to go out so much and hubby can get some proper sleep as he's slowly turning into a zombie. o_O

We really could do with a 'Hug' rating, sorry this was the best I could do
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Sorry to hear your news, fingers crossed the new medicine will make Romy a bit more comfortable and they work plus help with hubby's sleep.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Update on Romy

She wasn't happy for a few days but nothing too bad, a couple of times she was sick, but possibly due to her gobbling her food and getting used to the meds too. Her waterworks issue has taken quite a long time to change but hubby has now had 2 nights with no disturbances as Romy slept from midnight to 7.00 am ... he's not quite such a zombie now!

She was due a second blood test after 10 days on the tablets to see how well they are controlling her cortisol levels etc, so the blood was taken on Monday and sent away to be analysed. We got the result today and everything is absolutely spot on, liver, kidney, cortisol ... couldn't have asked for a better result! The vet is very, very happy with her and can't believe that she's doing so well generally at her age (nearly 16) especially being a largish dog (23kg). We had mentioned to the vet that she might not get another foreign holiday but the vet said as she's doing so well we shouldn't rule it out ... fingers crossed.

The vet is doing us a prescription for the tablets so we can buy them online as they're cheaper that way - due to Romy's results being so good the vet's willing to do it for a 3 months' supply, rather than the usual 1 month ... still ain't gonna be cheap but so what, she's worth every penny.

We still have the odd waterworks accident but nothing like it was and she's not after water all the time, actually leaving some in the bowl! Today she had her usual walk and run on the field and later was playing with hubby and the other dogs, running round in the house having a good old bark, 'laughing' and jumping about like a nutter. She hasn't done this for ages so must be feeling better ... long may it continue.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
So pleased for you and Romy, enjoy this extra time you have together, make some more very special memories. :)

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
@Minxy Girl , Mel good news that Romy has got a better quality of life, and long may the tablets carry on working.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back