RyanAir and Manchester Airport (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, I am going to have a moan about Ryanair. This time with Manchester Airport throw in.

And I know, all you Ryanair lovers will come along with the "read and abide by the rules" etc.

I have over 30 flights booked with Ryanair. As Many of you know, Ryanair how now changed their baggage rules. This includes flights already booked.

So, now. You can only take a small bag in the cabin. Or, pay £12 to take a 10Kg in the hold. Some of the flights, I managed to amend and get Priority and 10Kg in the cabin for only £8.

The website currently does not always allow you to add 10kg bags. They have to added via the app.

So, this trick gets them up the skyscanner pricing structure.

For my Next flight. Its cheaper for me to now re-book with easyjet and lose the RA tickets. But I refuse to let RA get something for nothing.

Manchester Airport.

If the £3 drop off kiss and fly / £3 collection (1p per second) that they introduced recently. was not bad enough. Today, arriving by easyjet. We had to stand in freezing sleeting rain with no shelter for our taxi to arrive. Add to the Taxi fare the £3 and the £1 or €2 non refundable baggage trolley charge, just a rip off for what is a scruffy dump.

The alternative is to get dropped/collected at an offsite dump. Then get a free shuttle bus to the Airport. But, if you want to do this for collection, there are no signs to tell you where to get the bloody bus!.

Or, you pay to park at the Airport, at extortionate prices.

Despite paying annually for Priority Lounge. Manchester airport cannot cope with the demand and you get turned away. Reason, the Airlines are allowed to pre-book, individuals cannot.

The refurb is long overdue. Even when its done, I doubt it will be anything like as good as most International Airports.

Interim Solution.

I am prepared, silly as it is with an Airport on my doorstep. Drive to Liverpool, pay to park at a more reasonable cost and fly with EasyJet.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I believe Manchester airport also own Stansted now (our nearest one), they introduced £3 drop off fee too, bloody crooks.. it's even more to wait to pick up.

Parking at the airport isn't to expensive, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to pay to pick someone up by waiting.

We now wait at a nearby service centre and wait for a phone call, straight in to the drop off point pick up and get out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I believe Manchester airport also own Stansted now (our nearest one), they introduced £3 drop off fee too, bloody crooks.. it's even more to wait to pick up.

Parking at the airport isn't to expensive, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to pay to pick someone up by waiting.

We now wait at a nearby service centre and wait for a phone call, straight in to the drop off point pick up and get out.
Be careful wife used to do that at a hotel near Luton airport then got a ticket as the plane was delayed so she stayed too long............bu***r

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Bristol Airport has just announced it's intending to withdraw its drop-off charge, and make it free. Mainly because of complaints from local property owners who are fed up about folk parking and waiting around nearby housing. The airport has a controversial application in for massive expansion, so presumably doesn't want to upset its neighbours too much.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have to fly to Heathrow from Manchester on Saturday (weather permitting).

Another £3 for the Shareholders.

I am so glad I made the other 30+ bookings with Eaysjet and Jet2. I just wish Thomas Cook were more frequent in winter as we gat a small discount.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Parking at the airport isn't to expensive,
If it is more than the 50p per day that it used to be back in the 70's then it's too dear.:D

So it's you keeping me awake with your engine running on the A120. :)Glad when 11pm + comes & most of the flights stop.(y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yes, I am going to have a moan about Ryanair. This time with Manchester Airport throw in.

And I know, all you Ryanair lovers will come along with the "read and abide by the rules" etc.

I have over 30 flights booked with Ryanair. As Many of you know, Ryanair how now changed their baggage rules. This includes flights already booked.

So, now. You can only take a small bag in the cabin. Or, pay £12 to take a 10Kg in the hold. Some of the flights, I managed to amend and get Priority and 10Kg in the cabin for only £8.

The website currently does not always allow you to add 10kg bags. They have to added via the app.

For my Next flight. Its cheaper for me to now re-book with easyjet and lose the RA tickets. But I refuse to let RA get something for nothing.

Manchester Airport.

If the £3 drop off kiss and fly / £3 collection (1p per second) that they introduced recently. was not bad enough. Today, arriving by easyjet. We had to stand in freezing sleeting rain with no shelter for our taxi to arrive. Add to the Taxi fare the £3 and the £1 or €2 non refundable baggage trolley charge, just a rip off for what is a scruffy dump.

The alternative is to get dropped/collected at an offsite dump. Then get a free shuttle bus to the Airport. But, if you want to do this for collection, there are no signs to tell you where to get the bloody bus!.

Despite paying annually for Priority Lounge. Manchester airport cannot cope with the demand and you get turned away. Reason, the Airlines are allowed to pre-book, individuals cannot.

The refurb is long overdue. Even when its done, I doubt it will be anything like as good as most International Airports.

Interim Solution.

I am prepared, silly as it is with an Airport on my doorstep. Drive to Liverpool, pay to park at a more reasonable cost and fly with EasyJet.

You must be shivering too much as that didn't make much sense. I'm tired so will try again in the morning.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I pay around 70p a day at Alicante Airport to park.

And that includes as many Valet parking/collections to and from the airport as I need.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Manchester Airport.

Interim Solution.

Manchester Airport sounds very much like Luton Airport absolute shambles.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Use Manchester Airport all the time, although we live in the East Midlands, we use it to fly with Singapore Airlines to Houston and New Zealand. It’s easier and quicker for us to go via Heathrow but Manchester is a lot cheaper because of less airport taxes and charges and if you think parking is expensive try Heathrow.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Bristol Airport has just announced it's intending to withdraw its drop-off charge, and make it free. Mainly because of complaints from local property owners who are fed up about folk parking and waiting around nearby housing. The airport has a controversial application in for massive expansion, so presumably doesn't want to upset its neighbours too much.
An update to correct my post above. We have just read in the local paper that the proposal to make 'drop off' and 'pick up' at Bristol Airport free, is CONDITIONAL on the airport securing planning permission for its extensive expansion plans! :unsure:

Last edited:

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Using the smaller regional airports will be cheaper and less busy but you wont get the destinations or the frequency of services. The bigger airports are a pain but they go to all the right places and offer a much better frequency. Having worked and travelled from a Manchester and other airports for many many years I chose a motorhome to avoid using them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Using the smaller regional airports will be cheaper and less busy but you wont get the destinations or the frequency of services. The bigger airports are a pain but they go to all the right places and offer a much better frequency. Having worked and travelled from a Manchester and other airports for many many years I chose a motorhome to avoid using them.
I don't totally disagree with you concerning the pros and cons of regional airports. Bristol is I guess a medium size, but does offer an extensive European network with both easyJet and Ryanair, plus a few minor players. We've got local routes to almost all the places we're interested in flying to, with the possible exception of Almeria and the Canary Island of La Palma.

I'm not suggesting it's the perfect airport however, because I usually manage to have a few grumbles about its design. But would far rather use it than the London airports or Manchester or Birmingham. ;) :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I think that view of regional airports is somewhat outdated.

We live near Katowice Airport(50mins.) and Krakow Airport(60mins.)

Katowice has 16 European scheduled all-year destinations and Krakow about 25, plus Tel Aviv and Dubai. Plus many charters if you want.

Prior to these regional airports being developed on ex military ones, one would have had to drive 3+ hours to Warsaw.

We have choice of 3 airlines to London(Gatwick, Stansted and Luton) with probably 8-10 flights a day. Of course when one is retired flight departure times are more flexible - no 0730 MAN- FRA and 1900 return for next day's meeting. Passenger processing and walking distances are much quicker.

I just gave our region as an example but I think you will find that Bristol, Leeds/Bradford etc. can offer the same.

Like you we prefer the MH, but for family reasons we often park the MH in another country and fly back for 3 weeks, but as above we have a large choice from where we can fly back , direct to our area.

What is not to like?

Geoff

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Agreed. It’s a matter of personal choice. Sometimes we all have to grin and bear it to get where we want to go. MAN has x 2 runways, around 180 destinations served by 80+ airlines and around 25million pax pa with up to 60 movements an hour at peak times. It’s bound to get messy at times. They’re all best avoided if possible!

Deleted User
My second Ryanair flight into and out of Manchester is coming up, Manchester airport is abysmal.

Ryanair use T3 which is a 15 min walk to the station with only a short stretch of moving walkway, not enough seating, too many shops it's more like the ***** Trafford centre!

I like Ryanair's pricing policy, you get what you pay for, not too difficult to understand. The only thing that I can see that is a little opaque is the charge for using the ticket on a phone and not being able to check in a flight until a week before unless using priority boarding. This means that for anyone staying for longer than a week they would have to use the phone ticket as probably no printer on holiday.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Ryanair would like to apply their pricing policy across all the airports they operate from. If that did happen you would really have cause to complain about the airport!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back