Thinking of where to go (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
This year we are unable to go abroad with the MH so it’s the UK for us for two weeks at beginning of August. Not very pleased with it but that’s what it is.
Been thinking about where to go for quite a while but still can’t make up our minds.
We’ve thought about Somerset/Dorset- we can’t walk very far so would like bus stops near the site. Perhaps hire a little car for a couple of days? We belong to the NationalTrust, we like pub meals, quiet sites preferably adults only (work with children).
I know the balloon festival is on near Bristol so could incorporate that, we haven’t been for about 15 years.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
This might help you with some ideas :)

Broken Link Removed

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Great site at Totnes, CMC site but no ehu. Right beside bus station for almost anywhere also river dart beside site with regular boats to Dartmouth . Railway station 500mtres Totnes Town 100metres..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If starting off from West Sussex - heading along the coast towards the West Country and Southern Cornwall would be our first choice. The C&M Club have a nice site at Looe with good MH parking at Looe next to the river with a short walk into the town.

Attachments

• IMG_0233[4494].JPG
    IMG_0233[4494].JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks again. Shame about Little cotton caravan park. I’ve just looked it up and it’s still on the website. It was ideal what with being next to a park and ride. What a shame!!
Will look at the site in Looe Dave and Jen

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just along the coast from Looe is Polperro. A lovely old fishing village with electric tram ride from the car park down into the village if required. MH parking at top end of car park but expensive.

A walk around the village provides lots of photographic opportunities.

IMG_0240[4495].JPG

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Scotland! Especially the South West, it's really nice here.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’re doing Hampshire, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall this year. We’ve booked CL sites, all with EHU. We like quiet sites, pretty villages, beaches, pub meals, cream teas and just pottering about!

When we’ve been to France and Spain we have had no need for a car but it’s a different ball game in the U.K.

We looked at all the options and have decided in the end to take our car with us, with me driving it. For this trip it’s the cheapest option.

Mrs QFour

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are now thinking of going to Devon and Cornwall. We like peace and quiet as well Qfour. Definitely want EHU and bus stops close. Also considering hiring a car for a couple of days. The CLs I’ve looked at are right in middle of countryside with no bus stop nearby. Will have to have another look through the book.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Year or so ago, being members of both National Trust and English Heritage, we decided to try and make more use of our membership and spent 2 weeks visiting as many of their places as we reasonably could, staying at CL/CS's and the odd campsite as we went. We didn't travel very far but did visit places we kept promising ourselves we should.

We may try it again later this year, going for a different area this time.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We are now thinking of going to Devon and Cornwall. We like peace and quiet as well Qfour. Definitely want EHU and bus stops close. Also considering hiring a car for a couple of days. The CLs I’ve looked at are right in middle of countryside with no bus stop nearby. Will have to have another look through the book.

We looked into hiring a car but the costs are ridiculously high these days. That’s why we decided to take our car with us.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
CMC Hayle, across the harbour from St Ives. We’ve used enterprise in the past. They’ll bring the car to you onsite. Have you looked at the rallies list for CMC, some are actually on sites, incl electric. Not sure whether that’ll happen during main school hols. We’ve managed to get on a few and have saved small amounts still saved over booking through the site it self. I’ve not really been a fan in the past, I had a proper look at the list in detail recently and have booked where possible, costs are rising on main sites and I like to plan ahead.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I looked at Car Hire and the costs just kept going up. You are responsible for the first £1000 of damage unless of course you take out their Insurance as an extra. They don’t cover extra drivers that’s another £13 a day. Then you find Roadside Assistance is extra as is Windscreen Cover, Tires and Lost Keys. These of course can be covered by extra Insurance. So if you start adding it all up you soon realise that it costs more for the Insurance Extras than it does for the Car Hire. Oh nearly forgot they add an extra 20% VAT to all the extras and don’t return it with any dog hairs as they will charge you for cleaning.

Ok we could tow a vehicle but firstly you need a vehicle to tow, then you have to Insure it and don’t forget the road fund. You then need a towing kit adding and a tow bar and electrics for the MH.

IMHO we are better just using our own car. SWMBO had no trouble following me. See you a mile away was her comment

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
After about a 2 - 3 day stay visiting the Looe and Polperro area (as already posted) we normally move on and park up for a few nights in the Carlyon Bay / St. Austell area. Lots to see and do in the area including the Eden Project for those who like a good walk around the tropical gardens with a visit to Mevagissey for those of us who don't like to walk too far. Motorhome parking in the main car park at Mevagissey on your left as you enter the village. The parking attendants walk you around to a MH parking area at the back.

Attachments

• Mevagissey.jpg
    Mevagissey.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back