Solo Fulltimer - Space Requirements (1 Viewer)

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Eventually
Exp
Dear All,

I am planning to cut myself off from fixed society and take to the road for the foreseeable future; but I'm worried about how much space I may require.

I could opt for a LWB High-Roof Transit to convert to my needs and this would clearly be big enough; but I could feasibly convert a LWB Transit Connect and use a roof rack and remove the passenger seat to use as additional storage.

Fuel economy is a consideration as my budget is not infinite but I will be traveling solo and do not necessarily need an internal shower.

I've priced up a Pop-Up shower tent, Portable Shower, Panel lining Kit, Porta Potti, 72ltr Water Container, Leisure Battery and Split Charging System, Cooker/Sink Combo, Felt Lining Kit, 24v TV, Storage Boxes, Roof Rack/Top Box, Solar Panels and a small side awning. I don't need a fridge and I've got everything else I need apart from the van.

I've considered a Citroen Dispatch LWB, Ford Transit Connect, Ford Transit Torneau, Ford Transit LWB High Roof, Nissan NV300, Renault Master and VW Caddy Maxi.

I should also add that for the first few years I will be WWOOFing around the UK and Europe so I wont be in it 24/7 but later on I will but don't want to think about a rebuild or change of van at that stage.

Your thoughts/comments and experiences would be very much appreciated.

Stacker

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome(y)IMO Don't consider anything smaller than a Ducato sized van -You will still get economy - 35 mpg plus and get around anywhere.I have converted all sorts of vans, the smallest being a vw Caddymax and spent 4 nights away in it .Never again:Deven getting dressed proved probamatic,could not stand up,tried laying on bed but alas not a teenager anymore-after 3 nights,ended up standing outside in my undies to get dressed :(
If looking to fulltime you deffo need a loo and shower along with heater and hot water and while you are at it a fridge even if only for summer --sure you can get away with throwing a mattress in the back of a van and a portable cooker but full time I think you need a bit more home comforts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blanket Stacker

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
Never again:Deven getting dressed proved probamatic,could not stand up,tried laying on bed but alas not a teenager anymore-after 3 nights,ended up standing outside in my undies to get dressed :(

Hi Terry, thank you, I didn't consider having to get dressed every day (naked driving not being advisable) so maybe i'll drop the small van options and look at the larger offerings.

Stacker

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You also need to think about light and ventilation so some form of opening windows, side and/or roof.

I would echo need for fridge and small washroom with toilet and shower head for less frustrating living. It’s much easier to deal with a full toilet cassette by sliding it out, that constantly dismantaling the porta Potti to empty it. Something you will have to do a lot.

It can get very hot inside a van in warm weather so a small fridge invaluable and I would say a necessity.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Once you do get your van, PLEASE keep an update going on here .. it will be very interesting to watch your progress.

Good on you for having a go and chasing freedom.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Traveling abroad legally will require a visit back to UK for mot each year you will also require fulltime insurance which is difficult to get on anything much over 10 years old

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome to FUN.
It might be worth considering a small trailer. You could pack that quite tightly and gain more living space in the van.
best of luck. enjoy your travels.

OP
OP
Blanket Stacker

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
Lots of great advice and encouragement; thank you all so much. If there are any solo travellers out there who can share experiences I would be interested to hear from you :)

OP
OP
Blanket Stacker

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
Traveling abroad legally will require a visit back to UK for mot each year you will also require fulltime insurance which is difficult to get on anything much over 10 years old

Hi Mitzimad,

Thank you. I spoke to HIC today and they 'claim' to be able to insure any vehicle of any age with 365 European Green Card. Not sure what the cost will be so it may be interesting.

Stacker

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Mitzimad,

Thank you. I spoke to HIC today and they 'claim' to be able to insure any vehicle of any age with 365 European Green Card. Not sure what the cost will be so it may be interesting.

Stacker

Hi Stacker

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your insurance quote. Our van is insured via Comfort / Aviva and I count myself lucky to pay 'only' ÂŁ843 last time for a year's fulltime insurance, many pay a lot more!

If you get a lowish quote I would get it in writing that they understand you are living full time in your van.

Paul

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
An Angel fish will grow as large as the tank he is in allows him to. Move him to a bigger tank and he grows some more...

A full time mororhomer carries as much stuff as the size of the van allows him to. If he gets a bigger van he doesn't get more space... he just gets more stuff.

JJ :cool:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I also support the idea of an inside shower and toilet because setting up those portable ones would become a pain and when you get abroad that would constitute 'camping' not parking and is prohibited in many places.

Having said that it leads to having full headroom for the shower.

Anyway you seem to have ruled out the smaller campers so hopefully you are thinking of a minimum of a Panel Van Conversion(PVC), especially since you do not want to change when you go from UK to Continent.

You have not given an indication of budget to buy the MH.

I do not know what WWOOFing is but does it pay money?

Geoff

OP
OP
Blanket Stacker

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
An Angel fish will grow as large as the tank he is in allows him to. Move him to a bigger tank and he grows some more...

A full time mororhomer carries as much stuff as the size of the van allows him to. If he gets a bigger van he doesn't get more space... he just gets more stuff.

Just like my ex-wife's handbag :happy:

OP
OP
Blanket Stacker

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
I also support the idea of an inside shower and toilet because setting up those portable ones would become a pain and when you get abroad that would constitute 'camping' not parking and is prohibited in many places.

Having said that it leads to having full headroom for the shower.

Anyway you seem to have ruled out the smaller campers so hopefully you are thinking of a minimum of a Panel Van Conversion(PVC), especially since you do not want to change when you go from UK to Continent.

You have not given an indication of budget to buy the MH.

I do not know what WWOOFing is but does it pay money?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Budget is a tricky one but I'm currently on ÂŁ3,153 to do the conversion leaving around ÂŁ6,500 for the van. I've seen a 2015 Fiat Ducato SH1 Panel Van with 73k miles for ÂŁ6,900 and 12 months MOT and a LWB High Roof version at ÂŁ7,000 with 80k miles and 9 months MOT. Both would seem to fit the bill.

WWOOF stands for World-Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms and is a worldwide movement linking volunteers with organic farmers and growers to promote cultural and educational experiences based on trust and non-monetary exchange, thereby helping to build a sustainable, global community (not my words lol).

Basically you commit to work for 5-6 hours per day for 5 or 6 days per week and in return they provide food and accommodation; there is no monetary exchange. There is no set length of stay but anywhere between 1 week and 3 months or longer seems to be the norm.

Each country has its own website and I'm about to join WWOOF UK, WWOOF Netherlands, and WWOOF Germany; all for ÂŁ20 per annum. I picked Germany as I lived there for 12 years and am reasonably competent in the language; and the Dutch speak both English and German.

Seems like a reasonable way of traveling around Europe for an extended period without too many worries.......

Stacker

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

... are you sure it's not the motorhomer who grows to fit a larger MH ... fatty! :D2

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I live in a Fiat ducato panel van for 9 years of the 10 years I have been fulltiming.
I converted it myself. It has a full size shower room /toilet/sink. Kitchen area. storage area and a bed/seating/office area.

The front passenger seat is a bit of a dumping ground.

Last year I bought a trailer so I could get a chest freezer and buy some tools ready for my next conversion, however it is not essential.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Geoff,

Budget is a tricky one but I'm currently on ÂŁ3,153 to do the conversion leaving around ÂŁ6,500 for the van. I've seen a 2015 Fiat Ducato SH1 Panel Van with 73k miles for ÂŁ6,900 and 12 months MOT and a LWB High Roof version at ÂŁ7,000 with 80k miles and 9 months MOT. Both would seem to fit the bill.

WWOOF stands for World-Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms and is a worldwide movement linking volunteers with organic farmers and growers to promote cultural and educational experiences based on trust and non-monetary exchange, thereby helping to build a sustainable, global community (not my words lol).

Basically you commit to work for 5-6 hours per day for 5 or 6 days per week and in return they provide food and accommodation; there is no monetary exchange. There is no set length of stay but anywhere between 1 week and 3 months or longer seems to be the norm.

Each country has its own website and I'm about to join WWOOF UK, WWOOF Netherlands, and WWOOF Germany; all for ÂŁ20 per annum. I picked Germany as I lived there for 12 years and am reasonably competent in the language; and the Dutch speak both English and German.

Seems like a reasonable way of traveling around Europe for an extended period without too many worries.......

Stacker

Don't know how old you are .. but if you young enough to camp in tent until you get a van, there is a brilliant organic farm in Glastonbury (Paddington Farm) .. don't know what the situation is re taking on workers but you won't have lost anything by calling. Owners are lovely young couple.

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Had no difficulty getting 365 days abroad insurance on a Mazda Bongo conversion through the Camping Club, ditto RAC European cover. Would echo thoughts about needing an inside toilet and shower though, as well as considering adequate gas/ diesel fuelled heating if you're planning on any wild camping.

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
And wait until we know what havoc the geniuses who chose Brexit have wrought on European motoring - bear in mind that from 30th March you may well be a 3rd country citizen in Europe :banghead:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You can save money by converting your "van" to a Motor caravan
for registration purposes. Ins will be less than for a van . You will need to comply with certain requirements to do this , details available on Gov Uk site . You may well be limited in your intentions after Brexit , re extended stay in Europe, particularly with intention to partake in paid work . High roof lwb below 3500kg would seem to be the biggest and smallest suitable for your stated intention of usage , and efficacy of long term habitation . For ease of maintenance at lower cost and mobility in all conditions rwd would be best bang for buck . eg

all above just my opinion on your posted question .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had no difficulty getting 365 days abroad insurance on a Mazda Bongo conversion through the Camping Club, ditto RAC European cover. Would echo thoughts about needing an inside toilet and shower though, as well as considering adequate gas/ diesel fuelled heating if you're planning on any wild camping.
Is that full-timing insurance though, ie no fixed abode?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I do use a UK address for post, vehicle registrations etc. Without any 'fixed abode' I think things would get a lot more difficult!
Ah, that's not the same as full-time only insurance, hence why you managed to get it.

Van=Life

Free Member
Mar 9, 2019
Funster No
Im not solo living but will be by next year , I Have been out and about in different scenarios, i ripped the shower out my van as i had a pipe leak, if i wanted leaking pipes id keep my house living free to me is having as little to be concerned about as possible, i have managed with a bucket perfectly if i needed to id go up a size to one of those laundry handled things but cant yet see a reason. Fridge im not bothering but make sure you have something small and very well insulated to hold a ice pack and medication pot in if ever prescribed it, I got caught out when my good had meds to come away with in the height of summer. I haven't got a sink i have another bucket, wipe your dishes with long grass and wash them or keep a handy roll of kitchen towel can always throw it at a bonfire your next stop. you don't have to have a sink for doing a dvla conversion as far as im aware. you will need a table that attaches to your van when not in use. I took my cooker out for a log burner, to eat and get warm with out gas restriction. i have gas hob if needed, so im cook heat mutli fuel and never ever forget your 2 hot water bottles absolute life savers if you get caught out in the inter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back