I need european breakdown cover. (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The only one that would be likely to cover parts and repairs would be a "warranty" insurance provider AFAIK
ps and they would have very stringent conditions re vehicle age and maintenance

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's gonna be very expensive for anything worthwhile.
Why would you want breakdown cover to include parts ?
Well, I can see why you would want it but when you look at all the parts that could fail and they'd need to cover, if available, it's gonna cost a packet.
Cheaper to self insure and just have regular breakdown cover.
Mine comes with insurance from AIB for about £70. Only needed it once for flat cab battery and in UK.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ours is included on our bank account but only basic cover. Why do you want parts and labour cover if the company doesn't go bust they must be collecting in a fair bit more than they pay out so if you have an average risk of breaking down you will pay more than acccepting the risk yourself. Your m/h is no more likely to break down in europe than in the UK!!!!

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Never heard of one to include parts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Check what the manufacturers of your base vehicle offer, mine is Mercedes who give some basic cover if the last service was with a main dealer.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Comfort through Grove & dean are very good and give good European breakdown cover but I doubt you will get parts and labour

Apr 30, 2014
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Timberland pvc
Exp
On and off over 30years
Hi all, newbie here .
I'm actually looking into European breakdown cover for my trip to Spain next month in a 27 year old Vw camper.
Although it's in good condition and I'm pretty confident on its reliability I've found the AA will provide annual cover with repatriation for £229. Parts and labour an extra £92, for repairs upto £500.
I've searched online and most companies aren't interested in even quoting.
I'm still debating the cost against peace of mind!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never heard of a warranty provider giving recovery option.
If the breakdown isn't due to a part covered by warranty the won't pay out and you pay for investigation and diagnostics before they agree to work commencing so they aren't going to agree to a recovery.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we use ADAC - its a german company with English speaking operators. it covers us in the uk aswell as Europe in whatever vehicle either of us is in! no issues re age of vehicle as far as I am aware. total cost is around £130 per year for breakdown/recovery for either of us, no parts included.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
we use ADAC - its a german company with English speaking operators. it covers us in the uk aswell as Europe in whatever vehicle either of us is in! no issues re age of vehicle as far as I am aware. total cost is around £130 per year for breakdown/recovery for either of us, no parts included.
They no longer take new customers from the UK.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think that the most economical route is as already stated. Your own annual insurance with European breakdown will get your vehicle into a garage for repairs, this being the biggest faff in a country where familiarity with their systems and language could be your greatest problem. Whatever goes wrong with your vehicle, unless still under warranty, will need to be paid for by you one way or another.
I do not think that longer journeys are any more likely to have things go wrong than driving around your home town.
I usually have my annual service and M.O.T. carried out just prior to travelling on extended journeys which should highlight any potential problems which can be fixed before leaving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back