Precautions when plugging in to mains electricity (1 Viewer)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
I feel a bit dumb about this but here goes ................

For many years we (wife and I) travelled in our Land Rover Defender but now have our first motorhome. We have never used electrical plug-in for on-site electricity and although we have one of these

https://kalledaskabel.de/CEE-Verlaengerung-KALLE-Blue-SIGNAL-25mm-Winkel-25-Meter

don't know something key - super-important, I believe - about plugging it in. It's necessary, isn't it, in order to protect the vehicle electrical system, to first switch something in the vehicle OFF before plugging into the mains?

What are the precautions to be aware of? We expect to be using sites in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, Scandinavia.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I bet if you checked a dozen British houses you would find at least one reversed polarity socket which has been in use constantly and nobody has ever been the wiser, or electrocuted. Frankly it doesn't matter where a fuse is in a circuit, it will work just the same.
No it won't. In the case of an appliance L to E short the fuse would normally blow. If there's a L / N reversal there is no plug fuse to blow in the case of a N (which is now live) to E short.
Not that I care - I have never checked for L / E reversal on any EHU. I simply keep my fingers out of the toaster :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder if there is any evidence of reversed polarity actually causing any injury? if its so common around europe with so many motorhomes. As ours is French I've never bothered but I suppose it keeps someone in business selling testers and reversal leads a bit like breathalysers for France .

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I imagine that you may find some evidence, if you look hard enough.
Murphy says, "If something is possible, sooner or later, it will happen"
but you may have a better chance of being struck by lightening.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I always stand on only one leg when connecting up,
It works for me.
Never known anyone being electrocuted like that!

If you wear Marigolds and wellies you would be even safer. :cool:

I going to start wearing pink frilly knickers (and nothing else) when connecting EHU in the future

I've never heard or read of anyone that stated: "I was wearing just my pink frilly knickers when connecting my van to EHU when I got electrocuted " :)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yep, just plug it in - van first then bollard
And the other way round when disconnecting :)

Makes sense really as you never want to be messing around with a live cable even with "protection"

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Our motorhome is a Burow Oman, as shown in the photo below
So I take it that would have been you & your van parked up in Aldi's ,Lorca 2 or 3 saturdays back? Can't be too many 'Oman's on German plates about.
The amount of seasoned caravanners and motorhomers that totally disregard this is amazing. I was on a site at Devizes recently and every caravan that pulled in on my side plugged onto the mains first and also 2motorhomes opposite me did the same And these were not newbies
I cannot tell lie :whistle:

in a European house, all the circuit breakers and switches are double-pole,
No, they should be. Never believe it.:)
whereas Europeans use double pole switches
apart from the ones who don't + any house a Brit has lived in.:LOL:
Additionally the older the house , especially any out in the sticks which do not have electricity/ or do now but were never originally built with it, you will often find co-ax :eek::eek:used for light or socket cables when the proper stuff wasn't available.:D2

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>>> Precautions when plugging in to mains electricity

Keep your penis dry and well clear of the connectors.

Upvote 0

Grandchildren escapee

Free Member
Apr 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2013
I too always turn the heating unit off for a few minutes before unplugging now. Didnt once and it cost a very expensive trip to the dealers to have a fuse changed in the heating unit. Also I always check for reverse polarity abroad. 50% of the time I then have to turn the plug around.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
South coast
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute 665
Exp
2 years
On our boat, we always plugged in the boat end first before connecting to the bollard and assumed we will need to do the same with a MH when we get one.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Yep, into van first then Bollard, reverse order when leaving, this was my first lesson, my second lesson was to have a tyre check on the first van I bought, wish it had been my first lesson as although it had a current MOT I had a blow out on my first trip, there's a lot to learn!

Upvote 0

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Slightly off topic but, personally, I'd ditch the mains lead you have and get one that's built with 1.5 mm flex.
That 2.5 you have will weigh a tonne and will be a bugger to coil up again, especially in cold weather.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
No it won't. In the case of an appliance L to E short the fuse would normally blow. If there's a L / N reversal there is no plug fuse to blow in the case of a N (which is now live) to E short.
Not that I care - I have never checked for L / E reversal on any EHU. I simply keep my fingers out of the toaster :D.

The only real use for the fuse these days is to protect the appliance from too high a current which would damage the lead or internals. In this case it does not matter at all where it is placed in the circuit. In the above example the RCD would trip long before a fuse blew.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only real use for the fuse these days is to protect the appliance from too high a current which would damage the lead or internals. In this case it does not matter at all where it is placed in the circuit. In the above example the RCD would trip long before a fuse blew.
Agreed but to protect a circuit with no RCD it must be in the L wire.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The only real use for the fuse these days is to protect the appliance from too high a current which would damage the lead or internals.
No it's not. Yes, a fuse, or fusible wire link, is there to protect against overcurrent faults. But the damage is by no means limited to the wire and internals. At its most extreme, the Grenfell fire was caused by an electrical fault. The fuse/MCB/RCD combination is extremely effective in avoiding this, but in the absence of an RCD and double-pole MCB, the fault described by @tonyidle will cause a fire.

Older motorhomes pre-2008 will not necessarily have an RCD, and may have a single-pole MCB. For these, reverse polarity is a fire risk and shock hazard. There's a lot of motorhomes older than 2008. A modern camp site EHU will have both RCD and double-pole MCB. Some of the more remote camp sites in southern Europe, and aires anywhere, may not.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Basically then, rather that flapping on about reverse polarity and the dire danger we are all in if we meet this, wouldn't it be better to advise those with motorhomes with no MCB and RCD to uprate their electrical systems to be safer. For the majority of us with MCBs and RCDs reverse polarity carries no risk.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
No it's not. Yes, a fuse, or fusible wire link, is there to protect against overcurrent faults. But the damage is by no means limited to the wire and internals. At its most extreme, the Grenfell fire was caused by an electrical fault. The fuse/MCB/RCD combination is extremely effective in avoiding this, but in the absence of an RCD and double-pole MCB, the fault described by @tonyidle will cause a fire.

Will cause a fire?

MAY cause a fire would be more accurate.

Actually the reported probable cause of the fire at Grenfell was a faulty crimp in a fridge which caused the wire to overheat and to short circuit. In this case the fuse obviously made no difference whatsoever, and the dreadful loss of life was due to the cladding rather than an electrical fault.

Upvote 0

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
And beware of reversed polarity.... Live and neutral wired the wrong way round.

Harmless, but always runs to page after page of pointless forum posts to keep the masses entertained.
Almost as entertaining and pointless as Gassing threads
Not the dangers of stopping on aires again!!

Upvote 0

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Working on a French campsite the only problem I've experienced is a hairdryer that had a dodgy connection coupled with an owner who had no idea that his pvc (Westfalia) would have a domestic-type fuse box, or even where it was (under the bed...nearside).
Having rushed around & rewiring EHU cables and bollard finally managed to convince him the fault lay on his side of the circuit.
Don't have any fancy polarity testers and have experienced no problems with either my previous camper (Bongo) or current one (IH Oregon).

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Will cause a fire?

MAY cause a fire would be more accurate.

Actually the reported probable cause of the fire at Grenfell was a faulty crimp in a fridge which caused the wire to overheat and to short circuit. In this case the fuse obviously made no difference whatsoever, and the dreadful loss of life was due to the cladding rather than an electrical fault.
There are faults that even an RCD and MCB combined will not prevent. The Grenfell fire was one of these. From the report:
Dr Glover said: “The overheating of the crimp starts the fire. It overheats, it glows, it ignites.
You have glowing electricity flowing through those voids. It creates heat that ignites the insulation on the wires before you have a short circuit that would trip the circuit.”

The point is that reverse polarity bypasses some of the protections, and multiplies the types of faults that can result in a fire. An RCD will catch most of these faults, but it's not magic, and more importantly is has to be (a) fitted and (b) working,

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You have glowing electricity flowing through those voids. It creates heat that ignites the insulation on the wires before you have a short circuit that would trip the circuit.”
I have little faith in an official report that describes the progress of an electrical fire in those terms.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Too many ifs and hopes and "Don't worry about it!" assurances for me. £5 got me a plug in polarity tester and I made up a short polarity reverser lead. Takes ten seconds to check polarity then twenty seconds to put in the reverse lead, then I don't have to worry about the triple pole, 3.5mm, lateral push/pull, ACDC, RCD MCB EHU PCB LSD board tripping out. I'm on holiday, I don't want to be grubbing through the bowels of my van at four in the morning.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Nothing works on our van until the control panel is switched on and all the appropriate buttons pressed!

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
And so, Uncle PPJ loads the gun, chambers a round, takes off the safety and passes it to someone else to fire.

Well done old chap. I salute you. Score 9. :notworthy2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back