Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin,
I'm not on FB as I don't believe it is a good thing nor will it exist for much longer (IMHO)

Do you know who "owns" or manages, created etc. the Concorde FB page (not that anyone other than Mark Zuckerberg actually "owns" anything on FB)?
Hi Peter

The page shows Colin and Gill Taylor as "admin" and I believe that they set it up(y)

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am a member on the Concorde owners group and I said at the time and was one of those involved in the ''heated'' discussion that Martin is a MASSIVE loss to the group with his knowledge and experience of all things regarding A class vans.

He input is already missed on some of the threads.

A fiver to tempt him back, come on, chip in.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am a member on the Concorde owners group and I said at the time and was one of those involved in the ''heated'' discussion that Martin is a MASSIVE loss to the group with his knowledge and experience of all things regarding A class vans.

He input is already missed on some of the threads.

A fiver to tempt him back, come on, chip in.
Thanks Paul but that's a no I would have to buy a Concorde then:LOL: might have a look in Niesmann Caravanning next week though, "just looking";)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Paul but that's a no I would have to buy a Concorde then:LOL: might have a look in Niesmann Caravanning next week though, "just looking";)

Martin

You still at Polch then? Concordes are lovely vans in the main he says with fingers crossed lol, but then I went to Bohmte and was really ''wowed'' by the absolute quality, no contest really if money was no object that is. Kid in a sweet shop syndrome for a few hours.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You still at Polch then? Concordes are lovely vans in the main he says with fingers crossed lol, but then I went to Bohmte and was really ''wowed'' by the absolute quality, no contest really if money was no object that is. Kid in a sweet shop syndrome for a few hours.
Polch next week/weekend and the an appointment with Phoenix at Aschbach so will have a look into Concorde showroom while we are there, then onto Morelo at Schlusselfeld and who knows what after that.

Nothing in Bohmte to see at the moment(y)

Martin

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
You boys lost me when you started mentioning the locations; Schlusselfeld I do know and I kind of know about Polch but Bohmte went "swooosh" right over my head.

I sense some frustration Martin which is a massive shame for what should be such an enjoyable experience.

I think Concordes are lovely vehicles; I was about to buy one and it was the first brand I drove when we almost bought a new one from a UK dealer but I got to thinking I wasn't always quite being told the entire truth. I also felt that the UK dealer I visited had a "take it or leave it, someone else will be very grateful for it" attitude and on £1/4million purchase, I like to see a great deal of care & effort going into my purchase and it just wasn't there for me.

So, being a principled person, I vowed never to buy a Concorde. So for me, that only left Morelo (which I also really liked and thought a slightly more modern looking design) Concorde should also take a long hard look at their dealership model as they pee'd me off badly too and certainly lost them a sale.

I had the same a few years ago at an Audi dealer when I walked in to buy a new RS6. The receptionist told me I had to make an appointment? I said curtly, sorry, I thought this was a car showroom, not a dentist and walked out swearing never to buy an Audi (and I never have).

I mean, is it fair to say, most people that are buying these brands visit the manufacturers factory? If so why not do as Tesla do? Only sell new directly to the end user; such a better experience for everyone concerned I would think and I'm pretty sure they have the space to expand their ops at the Concorde and Morelo sites. With that big new service centre on the way at Morelo, it could be what is going on anyway (or at least planned for the future). If it were me, that's what I would do. The dealers could still do the after-sales support bit.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You boys lost me when you started mentioning the locations; Schlusselfeld I do know and I kind of know about Polch but Bohmte went "swooosh" right over my head.

I sense some frustration Martin which is a massive shame for what should be such an enjoyable experience.

I think Concordes are lovely vehicles; I was about to buy one and it was the first brand I drove when we almost bought a new one from a UK dealer but I got to thinking I wasn't always quite being told the entire truth. I also felt that the UK dealer I visited had a "take it or leave it, someone else will be very grateful for it" attitude and on £1/4million purchase, I like to see a great deal of care & effort going into my purchase and it just wasn't there for me.

So, being a principled person, I vowed never to buy a Concorde. So for me, that only left Morelo (which I also really liked and thought a slightly more modern looking design) Concorde should also take a long hard look at their dealership model as they pee'd me off badly too and certainly lost them a sale.

I had the same a few years ago at an Audi dealer when I walked in to buy a new RS6. The receptionist told me I had to make an appointment? I said curtly, sorry, I thought this was a car showroom, not a dentist and walked out swearing never to buy an Audi (and I never have).

I mean, is it fair to say, most people that are buying these brands visit the manufacturers factory? If so why not do as Tesla do? Only sell new directly to the end user; such a better experience for everyone concerned I would think and I'm pretty sure they have the space to expand their ops at the Concorde and Morelo sites. With that big new service centre on the way at Morelo, it could be what is going on anyway (or at least planned for the future). If it were me, that's what I would do. The dealers could still do the after-sales support bit.
Hi Peter

Bohmte is the home of Vario Mobil(y) as Schlusselfeld is to Morelo and Aschbach is to Concorde and Phoenix, I think we are lucky in that we like our Flair so much and there is nothing wrong with it so actually no reason to change other than "we can" possibly that is why we are just going around and around, and I like the looking part to be fair so not really frustrated.

I don't know what percentage of purchasers or potential purchasers actually visit the factory but for us it is fairly essential as there is inevitably something that we don't like on any new van so the question arrises "can you change this?" and being at the factory you get an answer straight away.

Yes you can certainly purchase a vehicle directly at the Morelo factory and then after sales and service will be handled by your local/dealer of choice, I am not sure about the arrangements at Concorde but like you we were not impressed by their UK dealer.

Martin

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've been meaning to ask this question for a while but what would be the residual value of a £250k motorhome of this type after 1-2-3 years of ownership.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I've been meaning to ask this question for a while but what would be the residual value of a £250k motorhome of this type after 1-2-3 years of ownership.
That depends on how well you buy in the first place, pay list price or thereabouts at a UK dealer for a RHD and expect to lose your pants. However I have found that by buying as I did in Germany with a commanding discount in 2015 for a LHD N+B Flair my trade in value at what will be 3 years 8 months represents, at delivery of my Morelo, around a 7.5% depreciation off my original net purchase price. However that could easily have been 30+% loss. You determine your depreciation when you buy! Germans also work on the basis of we will give you X for your existing van and give you this discount off list for the new one. So a nice clean transparent negotiation. Of course this can only be achieved if you have LHD to PX.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I reckon that is about right too (and hope so as I'm in the same position; bought it in Germany, LHD and discounted at purchase.

I've said this before on here and was blasted for it but it does happen. Morelo is in high demand and their price increases every year. So over three year's, you could see a 15% increase in the price of a new model. If that increase takes buying a new vehicle out of someone's budget, a well looked after, suitable spec'd (LHD) model will fetch a decent price second hand. When I purchased ours, Gluck told me they had taken a Morelo Palace in part-exchange for the same price the owner paid new two years earlier (sales speak maybe but it could be reasonably close).

Our is two years old in September 2019 and by then it will have under 10,000KM on the clock - it's only just run in! (not that I'm selling it though).

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

It's a shame you had a poor experience at the dealership. I have to say we've had an entirely different experience with, what I assume, is the same dealership.

As with all motorhomes, we've had a fair few teething problems and have been really impressed with how the dealership has dealt with them. They have a really knowledgeable service team who readily offer their help and support.

In my view the dealership's care goes over and above reasonable expectation.

They organise regular social events and offer real-time technical support on facebook for their customers.

At the moment we are all looking forward to a weekend get together which the dealership has organised for us. It is primarily social, but their technical expert will be on hand to advise on any questions and they also have a guy from Concorde head office coming over too.

I'm sure many dealerships would shy away from any such social events where their customers are free to discuss 'issues' together.

All this is all totally contrary to our previous experience of a high end motorhome UK dealership.

Out of interest... does the Morelo dealership offer anything similar?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It's a shame you had a poor experience at the dealership. I have to say we've had an entirely different experience with, what I assume, is the same dealership.

As with all motorhomes, we've had a fair few teething problems and have been really impressed with how the dealership has dealt with them. They have a really knowledgeable service team who readily offer their help and support.

In my view the dealership's care goes over and above reasonable expectation.

They organise regular social events and offer real-time technical support on facebook for their customers.

At the moment we are all looking forward to a weekend get together which the dealership has organised for us. It is primarily social, but their technical expert will be on hand to advise on any questions and they also have a guy from Concorde head office coming over too.

I'm sure many dealerships would shy away from any such social events where their customers are free to discuss 'issues' together.

All this is all totally contrary to our previous experience of a high end motorhome UK dealership.

Out of interest... does the Morelo dealership offer anything similar?
Our German N+B dealer does, however at Dortmund and in other places in Germany, all a long way to go to attempt to converse with other owners for the weekend. I know Morelo does a big winter trip to somewhere cold and snowy every year. Both Peter and I have bought from the dealer Gluck and I have no idea if they do quilted anorak parties so will let him respond.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our German N+B dealer does, however at Dortmund and in other places in Germany, all a long way to go to attempt to converse with other owners for the weekend. I know Morelo does a big winter trip to somewhere cold and snowy every year. Both Peter and I have bought from the dealer Gluck and I have no idea if they do quilted anorak parties so will let him respond.

Yes, that's the downside of buying on the continent I guess.

I'm sure the UK N&B dealership wouldn't want their customers getting together! I assume that's why you bought direct from Germany?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I'm sure the UK N&B dealership wouldn't want their customers getting together! I assume that's why you bought direct from Germany?
Quite a few N+B owners are getting together at the factory in just over a weeks time some for sure will be the UK dealers customers and the UK dealer will be represented there as well.

As for the Morelo dealer in the UK organising such events as the Southdowns one at Concierge I don't really think that there are enough around yet in the UK but the numbers are building all the time.

Martin

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That depends on how well you buy in the first place, pay list price or thereabouts at a UK dealer for a RHD and expect to lose your pants. However I have found that by buying as I did in Germany with a commanding discount in 2015 for a LHD N+B Flair my trade in value at what will be 3 years 8 months represents, at delivery of my Morelo, around a 7.5% depreciation off my original net purchase price. However that could easily have been 30+% loss. You determine your depreciation when you buy! Germans also work on the basis of we will give you X for your existing van and give you this discount off list for the new one. So a nice clean transparent negotiation. Of course this can only be achieved if you have LHD to PX.

Many thanks Michael; very useful and quite refreshing to hear too.

The whole purchase process which you write about seems incredibly more refined than anything we currently have in the UK.

I appreciate that you're dealing with a high ticket item here but even so the company does seem to have the whole experience nailed down.

A few UK dealers could learn from what you describe.

All the best,

Andrew

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Quite a few N+B owners are getting together at the factory in just over a weeks time some for sure will be the UK dealers customers and the UK dealer will be represented there as well.
Martin

Yes, I saw your posts on the N&B factory open weekend. As you know, Concorde do that as well but in addition to that main even the dealership has social events throughout the year. As far as I know this is pretty unique.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

I think its only a downside if you like those sort of meets. They do not really appeal to Sally and I, for example we were at Imperium a week or so ago and the CCC Rallye was there, the organisers were very gregarious and asked us to join in a few events, coffee morning, quiz night and such however as it happened we had other commitments but nevertheless we probably would not have participated. So not having the ability to join in our German dealer events is no great loss. However the winter event organised by Morelo may be something we would try out..... once we get the bloody Liner that is!
The UK N+B dealer was a test, not dissimilar to our experience with the Concorde one. With Concorde it was somewhat like Peters, if you have to ask the price you cannot afford it...... discount "what do you think we are some sort of market traders". I never did get a quote! But then its probably my fault, I'm just a dealmaker at heart.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think its only a downside if you like those sort of meets. They do not really appeal to Sally and I, for example we were at Imperium a week or so ago and the CCC Rallye was there, the organisers were very gregarious and asked us to join in a few events, coffee morning, quiz night and such however as it happened we had other commitments but nevertheless we probably would not have participated.

I don't know why you think the CCC rally itinerary has anything to do with what we have planned.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I saw your posts on the N&B factory open weekend. As you know, Concorde do that as well but in addition to that main even the dealership has social events throughout the year. As far as I know this is pretty unique.
The N+B factory weekend and the Concorde factory weekend are quite different in that the N+B is open to anybody on a just turn up basis and then other than the factory tours and the band on Saturday night nothing much is organised, as you know the Concorde factory event (certainly the himmelfahrt anyway) is quite different with a lot more organised events and traders but it is only open to existing owners or potential owners by invitation I believe so it is a bit more exclusive.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sorry I thought it was a bunch of motor home owners meeting together for a weekend by arrangement?

You mentioned not liking 'those sort of meets' and described the CCC event... Surely you realise that getting together for a weekend takes many and various different forms. If we were attending a CCC rally your comment might be pertinent but we're not so I fail to see the relevance.

Happily, there's no set formula when it comes to people meeting and enjoying each other's company. That is why we're looking forward to getting together with the people we first met at the Himmelfahrt event... we found that we all get along very well and have formed friendships.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I think its only a downside if you like those sort of meets. They do not really appeal to Sally and I, for example we were at Imperium a week or so ago and the CCC Rallye was there, the organisers were very gregarious and asked us to join in a few events, coffee morning, quiz night and such however as it happened we had other commitments but nevertheless we probably would not have participated. So not having the ability to join in our German dealer events is no great loss. However the winter event organised by Morelo may be something we would try out..... once we get the bloody Liner that is!
The UK N+B dealer was a test, not dissimilar to our experience with the Concorde one. With Concorde it was somewhat like Peters, if you have to ask the price you cannot afford it...... discount "what do you think we are some sort of market traders". I never did get a quote! But then its probably my fault, I'm just a dealmaker at heart.

You may well be a "deal maker" but that's not a bad quality as its probably why you can afford a luxury motorhome in the first place.

For me, it's all about feeling I'm getting good value and being respected rather than being treated like a mug! I really did like the Concorde motorhomes and certainly, the newer concept looks amazing. I would never rule out the entire brand; just those that might not treat me as I would have expected. "Take it or leave it" options always end up as the latter for me!

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I never looked at another Concorde after requesting a "viewing" at an NEC show about 3 years ago. We were looked up and down and told they may have a viewing the next afternoon. I told them just to forget it and have never looked at a Concorde or anything which Southdown have on offer and never will. Unfortunate for them because in that time I have bought/buying 3 Concorde equivalent motorhome.

Never judge a book by its cover may be the moral to this story!

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I never looked at another Concorde after requesting a "viewing" at an NEC show about 3 years ago. We were looked up and down and told they may have a viewing the next afternoon. I told them just to forget it and have never looked at a Concorde or anything which Southdown have on offer and never will. Unfortunate for them because in that time I have bought/buying 3 Concorde equivalent motorhome.

Never judge a book by its cover may be the moral to this story!

Not only Concordes with this dealer this is their default attitude to customers and we are another ex customer.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Not only Concordes with this dealer this is their default attitude to customers and we are another ex customer.

Me too!

I ended up spending over €270k which they could have had if they had been more professional!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am always interested in the construction of top end motorhomes, particularly wall/roof/floor construction, how they seal exterior door lockers, then look at if hinges are concealed or can be replaced easily without having a new door when one isn't required which is one complaint of certain year Concordes.

Devil is in the detail so to speak, its not just about construction, its also maintenance without having to trail back to the dealer all the time. I also look at 15 years or so down the line, maybe the second, third owner when all warranties have expired.

Similar general construction technique as the Concorde by the sound of it, I have taken this extract from the Morelo brochure Empire Liner.

''In a MORELO, you're surrounded by the best motorhome possible in motorhome construction. The interior and exterior walls offer stability thanks to their extremely corrosion-resistant aluminium alloy design. The hydrophobic XPS rigid foam provides a sensational insulation value. With the light weight you expect''

A more sturdy foam for some of the more vulnerable areas same as Concorde.

morelo wall.jpg
morelo construction.jpg

''Lightening protection thanks to an aluminium underbody'' but then it says ''Thanks to its stable glass-fibre-reinforced plastic underbody, there's absolutely no need to worry about moisture or corrosion''

So it must be aluminium and then a GRP sheet as well? on the underbody.

For comparison this is from our little Concorde 2005 construction
Concerto 2005 construction.jpg

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've had exactly the opposite experience with Southdowns. We've found them to be helpful and totally professional in their approach... We've also found them to be extremely friendly.

During our last four month trip to Scandinavia we had a number of issues. Every time we called Southdowns for help they were eager to assist. Their service team are extremely knowledgable and were happy to talk us through and most of the issues we encountered were resolved with their help.

They have also introduced a social side to things by organising really enjoyable long weekend events for their customers... which are much appreciated... cocktails, music and hog roasts!!! It brings folks together and friendships have been formed. They will also attend to minor problems whilst folk are at the event and give advice.

By the way... in case you're wondering about my name and if I have a connection to them... I don't - I chose my Motorhome Fun name because I live in the Southdowns National Park.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
By the way... in case you're wondering about my name and if I have a connection to them... I don't - I chose my Motorhome Fun name because I live in the Southdowns National Park.
Glad you put that right, I had thought you were so far up their rear end with that moniker that your undying recommendations must have been purchased. I stand corrected and apologies for my thoughts!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I am always interested in the construction of top end motorhomes, particularly wall/roof/floor construction, how they seal exterior door lockers, then look at if hinges are concealed or can be replaced easily without having a new door when one isn't required which is one complaint of certain year Concordes.

Devil is in the detail so to speak, its not just about construction, its also maintenance without having to trail back to the dealer all the time. I also look at 15 years or so down the line, maybe the second, third owner when all warranties have expired.

Similar general construction technique as the Concorde by the sound of it, I have taken this extract from the Morelo brochure Empire Liner.

''In a MORELO, you're surrounded by the best motorhome possible in motorhome construction. The interior and exterior walls offer stability thanks to their extremely corrosion-resistant aluminium alloy design. The hydrophobic XPS rigid foam provides a sensational insulation value. With the light weight you expect''

A more sturdy foam for some of the more vulnerable areas same as Concorde.

View attachment 280860 View attachment 280859
''Lightening protection thanks to an aluminium underbody'' but then it says ''Thanks to its stable glass-fibre-reinforced plastic underbody, there's absolutely no need to worry about moisture or corrosion''

So it must be aluminium and then a GRP sheet as well? on the underbody.

For comparison this is from our little Concorde 2005 construction
View attachment 280870
The only element of the Morelo construction process that gave me cause for concern was the foil self adhesive tape they apply along the top edge join, even though it is then covered with a metal cap. However I was told that this stuff is used in all sorts of aggressive scenarios, guttering for example, so I stopped worrying that my new van was essentially held together by a Sellotape variant!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The only element of the Morelo construction process that gave me cause for concern was the foil self adhesive tape they apply along the top edge join, even though it is then covered with a metal cap. However I was told that this stuff is used in all sorts of aggressive scenarios, guttering for example, so I stopped worrying that my new van was essentially held together by a Sellotape variant!

I know what you mean I have often thought that, expensive vans with a bit of tape on the roof, our Concorde(2005) has it on the roof both front and rear, @funflair Flair also has it, at least yours is nicely covered which is at least a good improvement, instead of exposed like ours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back