FORD CHASSIS CORROSION PROTECTION? (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
I have seen a Hobby T500FSC that I really like (at a dealer). I had a good look around it yesterday. It looks to be in beautiful condition, c. 52k miles, registered Jan 2012, full service history. Ford 2.2 diesel,manual.
I was having a look underneath as best I could and I noticed that there are no plastic shrouds/liners under the cab wheel arches. I haven't seen a post-2000 vehicle that doesn't have anything here.
Corrosion doesn't seem to have taken hold, and it does mean that the chassis structure isn't hidden, but is this normal for the Ford, or is something missing?
If I was to purchase, I would take it to have the chassis rust treated / under-sealed anyway.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
:D Don't worry about it - it's a Ford so will be nicked before you need think about corrosion! :D

Sorry, tongue in cheek but I couldn't resist it before someone else did! ;)

Sounds like a nice van, always liked the look of Hobby. Can't help about the underside protection, but if you do go for it get anti-theft protection sorted out pronto - plenty of advice already posted on here.

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
It hasn't been stolen in the last 6 years.......
Isn't this Ford theft thing a bit of an urban myth? Where do all the stolen vehicles go, if it's so prevalent?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a Ford base I think they get nicked as its easier than a Fiat and who wants the repair bills of the Fiat (tongue in cheek!!). If you get it its cheap to change the door lock and fit an obd port lock we have. Never looked at our wheel arches in detail but thinking of getting it waxoyled as we are now thinking we will keep it longer as it suits us so well there was a link on here once for a place that did it for someone very cheaply and it looked a good job. Ours is 2014. The chassis is behind the cab underneath and is not waxoyled as standard neither is it on most motorhomes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks. I had my current Chausson Welcome 50 treated at JR Classics when it was 10 years old (6 years ago). They did a very thorough job, treating/ cleaning off any existing rust and getting in to all the nooks and crannies. They had the van a week. I believe they used Dinitrol in some areas and Waxoyl in others. You really need someone who understands corrosion prevention and treatment. Just Waxoyling is not as effective as it should be unless proper attention is paid to preparation, unless, of course, it's a brand new vehicle with a pristine chassis. It cost £450 (it will be more now), but was well worth it. Ideally, a chassis should be treated when new. I looked at m/h at the weekend that the salesman said had a galvanised chassis (a new Swift), but I'm not convinced...
Any chance you can let me know if you have shrouds in your wheel arches?

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
alco chassis are galvanised fiats after about 2006 are galvanised

Ah... That was useful, except that a dealer I have just spoken to said that Hobby build their own version of the Al-ko chassis. Whether it's galvanised or not is a question for Hobby, I think..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back